Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. SORRY! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REGISTER; YOUR REQUEST WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

external hard drive for laptop

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

Number of posts : 1480
Registration date : 2008-10-17
Mood : none

external hard drive for laptop Empty
PostSubject: external hard drive for laptop   external hard drive for laptop Empty7/23/2011, 00:58

I have a friend that is thinking of getting a laptop. I think it would be agood idea for her to get an external hard drive for backups. My extenrals do not have a sepaarte power cord they get their power form the USB port. What about on a laptop - if she gets an external hard dirve should it have a power cord or is it ok to get one that draws its power from the usb port. Her huband may take care of it for her - so it may not matter what I say LOL, but I just wondered what to suggest in case she asks me.

Thanks,
Fay
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

PostSubject: Re: external hard drive for laptop   external hard drive for laptop Empty7/24/2011, 13:48

I don't know that having or not having separate power for an external hard drive would be an issue for a laptop unless the laptop is running on battery. Then, I'm sure it would be with regards to how long the battery will last, but I'm not an expert on the hardware side of computers and accessories. It's always a good idea to have a separate backup for your important files and a system backup too. I'm finding that Macrium Reflect is working quite well for creating the system backup files for both Windows XP and Windows 7.
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

PostSubject: Re: external hard drive for laptop   external hard drive for laptop Empty7/24/2011, 18:54

Repa,

Not for sure yet she will even get it. They have been having troube wth her being on the computer of an evening when he wants to use it. They found one at the PX that goes on sale Friday and are talking about getting in.

She has been relying on her husband to take caredof everything on the computer. I asked her once about backups and I think she said he took care of it. I don't know what he backups to. I don't know if he will take care of everythint on her laptop or not. Maybe at least he will set up the backupr for her. If she does get the laptop, I am going to at least mention to her that she might want to get an external dirve.

I don't know much about laptops. my workcomputer is a laptop, but it stay plugged into a docking station and I seldom even think about it being a laptop Smile

I fear she would get all flustered tying to set up the backups. I hope he will at least setup the back up for her. If not mabye someitme she can bring it over here sometime and we can gvie it a try.

THanks,
Fay
Back to top Go down
pepperpot
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
pepperpot

Number of posts : 715
Humor : I think I have one
Registration date : 2008-09-19
Mood : pensive

PostSubject: Re: external hard drive for laptop   external hard drive for laptop Empty7/25/2011, 17:12

Laptops have come a long way, thats why we have Notebooks now.

My Laptop is an HP Pavillion Entertainment PC and boy is it heavy!! No way I'm trucking that thing back and fort LOL. So its stays plugged in with a laptop fan as heat is an issue for laptops... the battery is out and I turn it off when not in used

External Hard drives are great for Laptops too and I would recomend that it runs on its own power so it can have its optimal speed.

Though my laptop came with many built-in usb ports I am not a fan of using them all, on one port I have a hub and on another port I have an extesion usb cord so I dont worry about messing up the laptop port with a constant plugging in and out of devices
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

PostSubject: Re: external hard drive for laptop   external hard drive for laptop Empty7/29/2011, 23:25

Sam,

I have an USB exteranl drive I use with my desktop. Had never thought of the effects of plugging an unplugging. Hope Idon't mess up the port.

Fay
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: external hard drive for laptop   external hard drive for laptop Empty

Back to top Go down

external hard drive for laptop
Page 1 of 1