Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. SORRY! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REGISTER; YOUR REQUEST WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

august windows updates

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Number of posts : 1165
Humor : Yes
Registration date : 2009-10-26

august windows updates Empty
PostSubject: august windows updates   august windows updates Empty8/15/2016, 23:32

Repa,

have u gotten august 2016 windows updates yet?

thanks...
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

PostSubject: Re: august windows updates   august windows updates Empty8/16/2016, 08:13

No, windows update is not working on my computers and I don't know why yet. Can't even do a manual update.
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

Number of posts : 1480
Registration date : 2008-10-17
Mood : none

PostSubject: Re: august windows updates   august windows updates Empty8/19/2016, 17:09

I think I hate windows update grrrr. Wonder if it is as bad on win 10 a on win 7? I do not remember having this much problem till the push for win 10 started. But the free upgrade period is over , so I would have hope things would go back to normal - but seems as not. Beginning to wonder if I should have gone ahead and done the free upgrade , but then I do not know if win 10 update is any better .

wwe9112 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: august windows updates   august windows updates Empty8/19/2016, 19:01

From what I've read, Win 10 is just as bad. I got update to work and did 3 installs (only 65 to go) and it quit working again. I'm looking at a 3rd party workaround now and will let you know if it is any better - seems from a video I watch on how to use it, it is better and gives more options. Once I have something concrete on what to do to improve this, I'll come back here and let you guys know. Pretty much have been working on it for 2 days straight and only that one success, and then it quit again. It's a piece of junk!
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

PostSubject: Re: august windows updates   august windows updates Empty8/19/2016, 21:46

Repa,
I have been trying running one or maybe a few at a time. I finally got one to install, but then the next one ran all night and did not install. I have it set to check for the updates but not download or install till I tell it to and I select the ones I want. The update was about 2-5 M I think, it ran all night and never finished downloading.
I do not know what Microsoft has done but they have really messed things up.
I know some people are switching to Apple or Linus, but because of programming in Visual FoxPro, I think I am pretty well limited to windows. Plus I really do not know if I have the energy at this point to learn a new OS.
Hope you can figure out something. Wonder what everyone else is doing.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Number of posts : 1165
Humor : Yes
Registration date : 2009-10-26

PostSubject: Re: august windows updates   august windows updates Empty8/19/2016, 23:38

one of the best things I've done was go with the win auto updates....I still don't know why the august updates were so late, but when I turned computer on yesterday, win updates had the updates icon in task bar, & since I've got auto updates I didn't click on it, & when I turned the computer off for the nite, it started the updates install and it didn't take 5 minutes....it's been this way since I changed to the "auto"......up til then I was experiencing the same extremely long wait times & most of the time still would not get even one update downloaded installed......it appears the "auto" updates is the only game in town if u expect to get the updates.....
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

PostSubject: Re: august windows updates   august windows updates Empty8/20/2016, 00:40

I am working on getting the updates installed a few at a time.
Got several done tonight, will work on it more tomorrow.

I really do not know what is up with win updates. I do not remember it being this bad before.

WC, glad yours worked for you.

Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

PostSubject: Re: august windows updates   august windows updates Empty8/20/2016, 10:18

Finally got at the updates installed YAY. Took a long time.

Repa, do you know if there is a reason why the updates would go better if you automated the updates instead of only letting it auto check for updates and then selecting the ones to update when you are ready?

Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: august windows updates   august windows updates Empty8/22/2016, 22:37

No Fay, I don't know why "Automatic updates" works and "let me choose the updates to download and install" doesn't. I tried running the Windows Update Diagnostic Tool and that didn't help. Then I ran the MicrosoftFixit50202.msi in the Normal mode, not the Aggressive mode (https://www.winhelp.us/files/MicrosoftFixit50202.msi) and then tried downloading and installing 3 updates which worked. Then I tried a few more, and it would not work again. I re-ran MicrosoftFixit50202 and no luck. Just hangs in the download and never downloads anything - seems it would run indefinitely if left there as I gave it overnight and part of the next day to do something. So I switched to automatic updates, set the download time for 3am the next day and waited until the next day. 7 Updates got installed and 61 were  left to install. I changed the time for Automatic Updates to run again later that day, and it ran and downloaded and installed the rest. I've now got it back in the "Let me choose..." mode to see what happens, but I don't have a lot of hope - will just have to wait and see when some updates become available. In the meantime, I did uninstall some reported problem updates and got rid of the Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program (CEIP). You can read about it here and decide if you want to do it or not:

http://superuser.com/questions/972501/how-to-stop-microsoft-from-gathering-telemetry-data-from-windows-7-8-and-8-1

There's a list of problem updates here. 3 were in my installed updates and I deleted them and followed the instructions for removing/disabling the CEIP. So far, so good. Now, to wait and see if the updates that got installed fixed the Windows Update for the "Let me choose..." option.
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: august windows updates   august windows updates Empty8/23/2016, 08:39

Update: Ok, this morning I had some new updates appear, one being one of those in that problem list in that article above that I uninstalled. I hid it and clicked to download and install the others and it worked fine, finished in a couple of minutes. Don't know exactly why it's working in the "let me choose...." mode now and not before, unless it had something to do with the combination of running the MicrosoftFixit, getting the updates in Automatic Mode to get my computer up to date, removing all the updates that had anything to do with Windows 10 and other problem updates, removing the Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program (CEIP) and disabling it's telemetry. Anyway, it works now, so hopefully when I get September's list it will work then too. One other thing - I don't let it give me recommended updates (option in the settings for Windows Update), and I don't install any of the optional updates.
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

PostSubject: Re: august windows updates   august windows updates Empty8/23/2016, 11:22

I may end up setting mine to have it auto-update for the important updates (not recommended). Have not decided for sure.

The other day, I was trying to install a few at a time and it hung up and I had to cancel it. I did some research about the current batch of updates hanging. One thing I found, listed 2 KB's that should be installed before the others. I tried one and it installed, the 2nd hung upt. But then I remembered that usually after I shut down an attempted update, I have to clear out the softwaredistribution\download folder. So I cleared out that folder and re-tried that 2nd KB, it worked. After that I re-ran the check for updates and then started again installing a few at a time. It worked- a little slow, but it worked.

So, I am thinking maybe at times, there are ones that need to be installed first and that the auto-update takes care of that. That is just an idea, not sure. Also, think the time of day it is run may have an affect, probably due to the load on the microsoft servers.
But not sure about either.

But after I cleared out the folder of its downloads, and ran the 2 KB's that were given, I was able to get everything installed (a few at a time) with no hangups.
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

PostSubject: Re: august windows updates   august windows updates Empty8/23/2016, 11:27

Repa,

I will have to come back and check out your link later. I am not fully functional right now- was after 6 this morning before I got any sleep and then I woke  up about 9,  is 10:30 right now and am kind of drowsy.
Thanks for posting

EDIT:
I did go ahead and go to control panel and turned of customer experience improvement.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: august windows updates   august windows updates Empty

Back to top Go down

august windows updates
Page 1 of 1