Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. SORRY! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REGISTER; YOUR REQUEST WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Avast SecureLine Disconnected

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Number of posts : 1165
Humor : Yes
Registration date : 2009-10-26

Avast SecureLine Disconnected - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Avast SecureLine Disconnected   Avast SecureLine Disconnected - Page 3 Empty12/2/2015, 12:53

1.  Did you install diskdefrag or didn't you? I downloaded it into my downloads folder, but I looked in that folder & I thought I had to click on it & "Run" it like any other App., yes or no?

3. I didn't know this. When I try again & type the command to open it up again, do you know if it will open the black screen & show things as they are in my screenshot above or will I have to start over at the beginning of compression?
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Avast SecureLine Disconnected   Avast SecureLine Disconnected - Page 3 Empty12/2/2015, 17:54

1. Compressing the files has nothing to do with anything else on your computer. All you are doing is making the files smaller, which gives you more space on the hard drive, plus files will open quicker then when they are not compressed. When you downloaded auslogics diskdefragger, you only downloaded the setup file. You have to run the setup file to install auslogics defrag. If you're not sure whether you installed it, go look at the list of installed programs in Control Panel > Programs and Features, and see if it is there. If not, install it by clicking on the setup icon to install the defragger and follow the prompts, being careful to uncheck any options that offer other things to install at the same time. You can do this anytime, but since you are in the middle of compacting the files, finish that and then install the defragger and run it.

2. No, you start where you left off. The command prompt screen will not show anything that you have previously done. It will open at your User Account prompt. If you were in the step to do the Program Files when you stopped previously, then that is where you start - type cd \Program Files and press enter, type compact /c /s /i and press enter, and keep going through the remaining steps until you are finished.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Avast SecureLine Disconnected   Avast SecureLine Disconnected - Page 3 Empty12/3/2015, 00:27

1. You have to run the setup file to install auslogics defrag.  If you're not sure whether you installed it, go look at the list of installed programs in Control Panel > Programs and Features, and see if it is there.    It is in there.

2.   keep going through the remaining steps until you are finished.   ok

EDIT:
3. I have a screen shot of trying #4 Program Files

4. Avast SecureLine Disconnected - Page 3 X86_no10

5.Don't know if it matters, but a lot was denied in the first Prog.
Files run.....& when I tried to run the P F (x86) it said No Path as shown...
Also, I forgot to run Ccleaner before doing both PF's, does that matter?
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Avast SecureLine Disconnected   Avast SecureLine Disconnected - Page 3 Empty12/3/2015, 10:36

5. Those files were in use and access denied. That's why the instructions tell you to repeat the process in safe mode. In safe mode, some of those files will be available for access, but not all.

It could not find Program Files (X86) because you put the compact command on the same line. Those are 2 separate commands. You must put them on separate lines. the cd command puts you in the directory you need to be in to compact the files, and after you enter that command , then on the next line you issue the compact command as follows:

cd \Program Files (X86) and then press the Enter key
compact /c /s /i  and then press the Enter key

You only need to run ccleaner once at the beginning of the steps you are going to do, or if you use your computer between steps to go on the internet and then come back to the process.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Avast SecureLine Disconnected   Avast SecureLine Disconnected - Page 3 Empty12/4/2015, 00:44

Repa,

1. Avast SecureLine Disconnected - Page 3 Step_410

This last part of Step #4 (above) (x86) for 64 bit system took about 6 tries, because you didn't tell me the (x86) would drop down to next line when I clicked Enter...so I finally, after about 6 tries just went ahead & typed the compact command & hoped it worked, & I guess it did...does it look correct?

2. Avast SecureLine Disconnected - Page 3 Step_510
So far this Step #5 took the longest to complete Compression...Does it look correct?

3. Avast SecureLine Disconnected - Page 3 Start_10 After studying #6 trying to see where the spaces are, if any and finally I gave it a try & this is the Start of Step #6, but it said not "Recognized", & at this point I was tired so I quit to post my progress & maybe you can see if the other screen shots show if they are correct, & what I typed wrong in Step #6.....
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Avast SecureLine Disconnected   Avast SecureLine Disconnected - Page 3 Empty12/4/2015, 11:13

1 and 2 are fine.
3. the command to get into the C directory was correct and then you look like you attempted it again and then on the same line issued the compact command. You do not change the directory and issue the compact command on the same line. The compact command is issued after you are in the right directory. I don't know what you were thinking after that. In the command prompt screen you had:

C:\Windows>
and you typed
C:\Windows>cd\ and pressed enter. That got you into the C directory.

C:\>
Then, you typed

C:\>C:\>compact /c /s /i *.exe

when you should have typed

C:\>compact /c /s /i *.exe

When you start this again and bring up the command prompt screen, you will be in the User account directory and it looks like this:

C:\Users>

To change to the C directory, type this:

C:\Users>cd\ and press enter.

The prompt on the new line will look like this:

Now, type the compact command as follows:

C:\>compact /c /s /i *.exe  and press enter.

Note that there is a space between the i and *.exe. When done, you will be back to the C directory prompt:

Now type the compact command to compress the *.dll files as follows

C:\>compact /c /s /i *.dll  and press enter.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Avast SecureLine Disconnected   Avast SecureLine Disconnected - Page 3 Empty12/4/2015, 18:49

OK, Thanks...
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Avast SecureLine Disconnected   Avast SecureLine Disconnected - Page 3 Empty12/6/2015, 22:18

Repa,
1. I finished Step 6 per your above help....Screen shot following:

2. Avast SecureLine Disconnected - Page 3 Step_610

3. If screen shot above looks correct, I'll be ready for Safe Mode & do it all over again...I don't look forward to that!......I'll have to use Key F11 for Safe Mode , correct?

4. It'll be a lot more trouble in safe mode just doing 1 or 2 steps at a time, but I don't think I can do all 6 Steps in one sitting....& I assume Safe Mode will allow 1 or 2 steps at a time correct?

5. In doing the 6 steps I just completed in Regular Mode, after each time I would need to stop & come back later to complete additional steps, & to bring up the command prompt screen each time I would go back to step #1>click Start>type cmd in search box>& press Ctrl+Shift+Enter, & then go to >Step #2 & do what it says then go to Step # 3, until I got to where I needed to be to complete the next step. I need to know if I did it the correct way, (I'm sure I did it the hard way), OR if there's an easier way that should be followed to arrive at whichever Step I need to complete?

thanks!.......

Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Avast SecureLine Disconnected   Avast SecureLine Disconnected - Page 3 Empty12/6/2015, 22:43

wcturner wrote:
Repa,
3. If screen shot above looks correct, I'll be ready for Safe Mode & do it all over again...I don't look forward to that!......I'll have to use Key F11 for Safe Mode , correct?

If you want to take a shortcut, you can skip the safe mode steps and go ahead and do the "defrag and optimize" in normal mode. If you are happy with the increase in performance, after that, then skip going to Safe Mode. I haven't seen a lot of gain by doing the compressions in safe mode as not that many files get compressed after doing the compression in in Normal Mode. This could save you a lot of heartache.

5.  In doing the 6 steps I just completed in Regular Mode, after each time I would need to stop & come back later to  complete additional steps, & to bring up the command prompt screen each time I would go back to step #1>click Start>type cmd in search box>& press Ctrl+Shift+Enter, & then go to >Step #2 & do what it says then go to Step # 3, until I got to where I needed to be to complete the next step.   I need to know if I did it the correct way, (I'm sure I did it the hard way), OR if there's an easier way that should be followed to arrive at whichever Step I need to complete?  

I'm really not sure what you did, whether you went back and repeated steps you had already completed or what. You do not repeat steps that you've previously done - once is enough! You just change the directory showing in the command prompt to whatever directory you need to be in step you are going to do and enter the compact command for that step. It shouldn't take you more than 2 -3 hours if you do all the steps in one sitting, but if you don't, you just start where you left off.

Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Avast SecureLine Disconnected   Avast SecureLine Disconnected - Page 3 Empty12/6/2015, 22:44

wcturner wrote:
Repa,

If you want to take a shortcut, you can skip the safe mode steps and go ahead and do the "defrag and optimize" in normal mode. If you are happy with the increase in performance, after that, then skip going to Safe Mode. I haven't seen a lot of gain by doing the compressions in safe mode as not that many files get compressed after doing the compression in in Normal Mode. This could save you a lot of heartache.

5.  In doing the 6 steps I just completed in Regular Mode, after each time I would need to stop & come back later to  complete additional steps, & to bring up the command prompt screen each time I would go back to step #1>click Start>type cmd in search box>& press Ctrl+Shift+Enter, & then go to >Step #2 & do what it says then go to Step # 3, until I got to where I needed to be to complete the next step.   I need to know if I did it the correct way, (I'm sure I did it the hard way), OR if there's an easier way that should be followed to arrive at whichever Step I need to complete?  

I'm really not sure what you did, whether you went back and repeated steps you had already completed or what. You do not repeat steps that you've previously done - once is enough! You just change the directory showing in the command prompt to whatever directory you need to be in step you are going to do and enter the compact command for that step. It shouldn't take you more than 2 -3 hours if you do all the steps in one sitting, but if you don't, you just start where you left off.

Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Avast SecureLine Disconnected   Avast SecureLine Disconnected - Page 3 Empty12/7/2015, 02:06

I'm really not sure what you did, whether you went back and repeated steps you had already completed or what. You do not repeat steps that you've previously done - once is enough! Let me try to ask my 5.above in my last post the simplest way I know how & hope I can make you understand what I'm asking you... For me to get the answer that I can better understand, let me ask you like this, and then you tell me everything that you do. let's say that you are going to begin the compression, & let's say that you get to #3 & finish that compression...& then you have to stop, and come back to the process at another time....
how you do to re-open black command screen> the process> & what you click> or type>in order to start again> where you left off from when you had to stop after completing Step #3, I hope I have made you understand my question, because you didn't understand when I posted it above.
I simply want to know each thing you would do to reopen a compression session after having to stop for some reason.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Avast SecureLine Disconnected   Avast SecureLine Disconnected - Page 3 Empty12/7/2015, 10:09

When you come back, you re-open the command prompt screen just as you did the first time:

Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt

At the flashing cursor, you type the CD command and specify the directory you want to be in, press enter, and then on the next line type the compact command. For example:

Your screen appears to open at this prompt:

C:\Windows\System32>

Say you are at the step where you are going to compact the files in the Program Files directory. To change to the Program Files directory, you would type the CD command at the flashing cursor (in red below) as follows:

C:\Windows\System32>CD \Program Files

and press enter. You will now have the flashing cursor at the following prompt:

C:\Program Files>

Now, you type the compact command at the flashing cursor (in red below) as follows:

C:\Program Files>compact /c /s /i

and press enter. The system will start compacting files in the Program Files directory, and when it finishes, you will be back at the flashing cursor in the Program Files directory as follows:

C:\Program Files>

At the flashing cursor on this line, you issue the CD command for the next step, and so on like this until you complete all the steps to compact the files.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Avast SecureLine Disconnected   Avast SecureLine Disconnected - Page 3 Empty12/7/2015, 18:34

1.  Thanks...that's what I was looking for.....

2.   I'm gonna try defrag without doing the safe mode....I'm wondering if all this will help my machine's speed anyway, it suggested it would take about 10- 20 minutes on the first compression, & mine only took about 10 minutes to compress...& we don't use our computer as much as you do.... but, if I can get it done.. it will be great if it does speed it up...& I'll soon know...

3.  I'll try to Defrag w/o doing the safe mode.....I hope I can understand it w/o having to ask for your help too much...
thanks.....

EDIT: Well, I thought I kinda knew how to run the Defrag, but after looking at http://www.auslogics.com/en/turbo-windows/how-do-I-defrag-my-computer/ and on down the page where it begins "Defrag your hard drive" and then scrolling on down to where it says "Windows 7:" ......Now I'm unclear about it , maybe you might ought tell me how to start & to do the auslogics defrag?
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Avast SecureLine Disconnected   Avast SecureLine Disconnected - Page 3 Empty12/8/2015, 15:15

1. Close any files or programs that you opened. Run ccleaner and then close the program. Then, open auslogics defrag.

2. Make sure the box is checked beside your C drive partition, and uncheck the boxes for any other partitions that may exist on your computer that may be checked.

3. On the menu bar, select Settings > Program Settings > Algorithms tab

4. In the window that opens, make sure the boxes are checked for:
a. delete temporary files before defragging
b. Move system files to the beginning of the disk
then,
c. Uncheck everything else that isn't already unchecked in the algorithms tab
d. click the ok button to close the window

5. in the upper left side of the auslogics window about 1/4 of the way down from the top of the page, you will see a button with "Defrag" written on it and a pull down arrow beside it. Click the pull down arrow and select "Defrag and optimize (slower, use once a week)".

That's all there is to it. Let it run to completion. It might take an hour or longer. Then check your computer to see if opening files, programs, and browsers isn't faster, and browsing the internet works better.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Avast SecureLine Disconnected   Avast SecureLine Disconnected - Page 3 Empty12/8/2015, 20:00

Repa,

Thanks a lot!....

EDIT:
1. Am just starting the Auslogics defrag and a line is missing in #4 delete temporary files before defragging is not offered...look at this scr shot below....

2. Avast SecureLine Disconnected - Page 3 Don_t_10

3. As you see in the screen shot Auslogics has a new Ver. of the program, I guess I should get it?

4. As quick as I finish this post I am going to go ahead & do the Defrag anyway, do you think that will be OK?

Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Avast SecureLine Disconnected   Avast SecureLine Disconnected - Page 3 Empty12/8/2015, 22:28

You have a newer version than I do. In your screen shot, check the block that says " Move system files to the beginning of the disk". This is critical! This repositioning of the system files is what speeds up your computer! Then go ahead and do the "defrag and optimize" selection.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Avast SecureLine Disconnected   Avast SecureLine Disconnected - Page 3 Empty12/8/2015, 23:49

1.   check the block that says " Move system files to the beginning of the disk". I did, I was just showing you what was & was not offered in that segment before checking the box.   Why wasn't  "delete temporary files before defragging" in that window? & did it make any difference in the results by not having that temporary files box to check?

2. The defrag was about 2 hours & 2minutes & screen shots of results is next.

3.   Avast SecureLine Disconnected - Page 3 1st_au10

4.  Avast SecureLine Disconnected - Page 3 Detail10

5.  How does it look?
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Avast SecureLine Disconnected   Avast SecureLine Disconnected - Page 3 Empty12/9/2015, 02:11

It's fine. Did you see an improvement in performance? I don't know why the line about deleting temporary files wasn't there. I have a older version, so they must have changed some things. Remember, the steps I gave you were to run ccleaner before running auslogics defrag, so that took care of the temporary files. Not being in Auslogics defrag wouldn't make a difference in the results. If you run Auslogics every week or every other week, or no less than once a month, you should see it taking less time, and your system should run better.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Avast SecureLine Disconnected   Avast SecureLine Disconnected - Page 3 Empty12/9/2015, 14:12

1. I haven't had a chance to use it much yet, but, I have seen an improvement in performance.

2. I always forget that you keep your Apps as long as they are working properly. So, I don't suppose there's any need for me to do the Auslogics Update to V6.1.2.0?

3. How often will I have to run the 6 Steps "Compressions" in Auslogics?
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Avast SecureLine Disconnected   Avast SecureLine Disconnected - Page 3 Empty12/9/2015, 17:27

1. Good!
2. You can update Auslogics or not - your choice.
3. Run Auslogics "defrag and optimize" no less than once a month. Run every week or every 2 weeks if you have time. You don't need to do the 6 step compression more than 2 or 3 times a year.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Avast SecureLine Disconnected   Avast SecureLine Disconnected - Page 3 Empty12/10/2015, 02:09

Thanks again!

BTW, When I make a post here do you get notified of it?
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Avast SecureLine Disconnected   Avast SecureLine Disconnected - Page 3 Empty12/10/2015, 09:16

yes, after I answer the thread the first time, then I get notifications automatically there afterward.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Avast SecureLine Disconnected   Avast SecureLine Disconnected - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Avast SecureLine Disconnected
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3