Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. SORRY! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REGISTER; YOUR REQUEST WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Are these pop ups real or hoax?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Number of posts : 1165
Humor : Yes
Registration date : 2009-10-26

Are these pop ups real or hoax? Empty
PostSubject: Are these pop ups real or hoax?   Are these pop ups real or hoax? Empty8/3/2017, 23:25

I don't know why the duplicate screen shots?

1.  Are these pop ups real or hoax? Hes_up10

2.  Are these pop ups real or hoax? Hes_up10
Are these pop ups real or hoax? 2_aug_10

3.  Are these pop ups real or hoax? Hes_up10
Are these pop ups real or hoax? 2_aug_10
Are these pop ups real or hoax? 2nd_ha10

Should I click to update browsers as the popups say or not?   I don't think I can get the popups back or not, because I did not click to "Save" them.    The first screen shot mentions "HES" which is my ISP, but I'm not sure it is for real?  Hope you can tell me, Hoax or the real thing?

Thanks,
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Are these pop ups real or hoax?   Are these pop ups real or hoax? Empty8/4/2017, 11:39

Open Software Updater is a PUP (potentially unwanted program)/adware that can result in a variety of computer problems on a PC. Open Software Updater may be used for gathering the computer user's Internet surfing information such as the PC user's search requests, websites visited and time spent on those websites.

I don’t know whether Open Software Updater is actually on your system or not but you can look in Programs and Features and see if it is and uninstall it if it is.

You can stop the popup by adding the URL to the Hosts file:

1. Go to the Hosts file at the following path: C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\  and right click on hosts, then select properties.

2. On the General tab, uncheck “Read-Only” and click Ok. The properties window will close.

3. Left click on the Hosts file and select notepad in the window that appears and click ok. Hosts will open in notepad.

4. On the first page after the last # sign, go to the end of that line, click there to put your cursor at the end of the line and press enter to insert a line.

5. on that new line type the following:
127.0.0.1 https://freesoftwarestation.com/

You should see similar lines below this that you can use as a guide. This should stop the popup from appearing on whatever website you are accessing when this popup shows itself. I would stop going to whatever website you are on when you see this popup appear.

6. Click on “File” on the menu bar and select “Save”. Close the Hosts file and then right click on it and select properties. Recheck the box next to “Read-Only” on the General tab and click ok.  

Set a new Restore point and then run the following programs and remove whatever they find:

Adwcleaner – download at  https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewdownload/1-adwcleaner/

MalwareBytes – you already have this – run a full scan

Hitman Pro -  download at http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/hitman_pro.html

Be sure you select the 64 Bit file, not the 32 Bit file

When it has finished, it will display a list of all the malware that the program found. Click on the “Next” button. Click on the “Activate free license” button to begin the free 30 days trial, and then remove all the malicious files from your computer that Hitman Pro finds.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Number of posts : 1165
Humor : Yes
Registration date : 2009-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Are these pop ups real or hoax?   Are these pop ups real or hoax? Empty8/4/2017, 19:28

I don’t know whether Open Software Updater is actually on your system or not but you can look in Programs and Features and see if it is and uninstall it if it is. It's not in my Programs and Features.

1. Go to the Hosts file at the following path: C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\ DON'T I NEED TO TYPE THIS C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\ INTO START THEN INTO THE SEARCH "ALL PROGRAMS" BOX OR THE "RUN" BOX TO GET TO THE HOSTS FILE?

Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Are these pop ups real or hoax?   Are these pop ups real or hoax? Empty8/4/2017, 22:33

No, you have done this numerous times. Click on: Computer > C drive > Windows > System32 > drivers > etc, and there you will find the Hosts file. Follow the directions I gave you from that point on.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are these pop ups real or hoax?   Are these pop ups real or hoax? Empty

Back to top Go down

Are these pop ups real or hoax?
Page 1 of 1