Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. SORRY! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REGISTER; YOUR REQUEST WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

W Updates

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Number of posts : 1165
Humor : Yes
Registration date : 2009-10-26

W Updates Empty
PostSubject: W Updates   W Updates Empty3/10/2016, 15:22

Repa,
Last nite I checked win upates, I had one left from last month & about 13 new ones....I planned to install some or all today...when I opened windows update it tells me there's none, that I am all Up to Date.....They were there last night & Gone today......I've never seen this happen before, have you?...I tried clicking "Search for Updates"....that has been searching for about 30 minutes.....it appears that windows update is about worthless any more?......

Do you have any idea what's going on?
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

W Updates Empty
PostSubject: Re: W Updates   W Updates Empty3/10/2016, 22:52

I have no idea. Never saw that happen before. Check again tomorrow and see if they are there. If not, I don't know what to tell you other than to keep checking. Are you sure you didn't inadvertently change your settings to do automatic updates?
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

W Updates Empty
PostSubject: Re: W Updates   W Updates Empty3/11/2016, 23:31

Repa,

the search finally pulled the updates back, but it took forever.....I also read Fay's post from last month telling how slow she found trying to install the updates....

I found out first hand when I install 4 of the updates....it took over an hour.....

Have you heard anything about why installing the updates takes so long?

thank you1
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

W Updates Empty
PostSubject: Re: W Updates   W Updates Empty3/12/2016, 01:29

No, haven't heard anything. When I started having problems last summer with my computer after Windows updates, I uninstalled some of them to fix my problems and then I quit doing them, but I wouldn't suggest that you do the same. I think some Windows 10 stuff is getting mixed in and could be the source of the problems since they seem so hot on everyone upgrading to 10. I'll try to do some research on it when I get some time.
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

Number of posts : 1480
Registration date : 2008-10-17
Mood : none

W Updates Empty
PostSubject: Re: W Updates   W Updates Empty3/12/2016, 15:26

It has been very slow at times lately.
I am not a patient person and at times have bailed out of it, but I would not recommend that , a few times I have gotten things messed by doing that and have had to go in and delete files.

Checking for updates has been slow at times, as well as down loading and installing.

Found out it was best to do it at a time when I did not need to be using computer and just walk awy and try to forget about it for a while.
After they have been pulled I sometimes try to install a few at a time, but not sure if that is really a good idea.

REPA.
Is the order things are installed in important. If it is, how do I determine which to install first.

Fay

Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

W Updates Empty
PostSubject: Re: W Updates   W Updates Empty3/12/2016, 19:19

I don't think it matters Fay. If you let Windows Update run, it should do things in order if required. I just gave up on it in September 2015 because of the problems I was having on the computer. Uninstalled some bad updates I found by googling the symptoms I was having and that fixed my problems - haven't had any since, but haven't done an update since September either. I'm hoping that I won't get careless and go somewhere I don't know about without checking it out first. The network is very secure, so I'm not worried about that, and Avast does a pretty good job of blocking stuff from downloading that shouldn't be. Computer is running fast and although there are still some problems with IE, they've always been there and are a minor nuisance.
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

W Updates Empty
PostSubject: Re: W Updates   W Updates Empty3/12/2016, 20:27

Repa,

Ok, What I was asking about , if I select a few at a time instead of letting Windows Update install all the updates at once. But that is ok.

Some time , I need to play around with my laptop which I installed windows 10 on. But I have had a lot of other things going on, and have not had the energy to mess with it. Hope it does a lot better at updates, but I have heard it doesn't let you choose, but I do not know about that .

Thanks
Fay
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

W Updates Empty
PostSubject: Re: W Updates   W Updates Empty3/12/2016, 20:33

In the past, I have selected a few out of many updates when I was having problems with getting them all to update in one update, and it didn't seem to make any difference about the order.
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

W Updates Empty
PostSubject: Re: W Updates   W Updates Empty3/12/2016, 21:48

Repa,

Ok, I think when there are a lot of updates, especially large ones, doing a few at a time maybe best.

Thanks
Fay
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

W Updates Empty
PostSubject: Re: W Updates   W Updates Empty3/14/2016, 00:43

I agree...I installed 4 the other day...& 5 Friday, & both times took an hour to 1-1/2 hours.....probably about 2 at a time is better....

would anybody agree, I think IE and win updates suck?!!!
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

W Updates Empty
PostSubject: Re: W Updates   W Updates Empty3/14/2016, 01:19

WC,

Seems like it certainly does these days. I don't think it used to be that bad. It is a pain for sure.

Fay
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

W Updates Empty
PostSubject: Re: W Updates   W Updates Empty3/15/2016, 22:14

When windows update is set so that it will not download until told to, is there anything I can check for to see if it is truly stuck or if it is doing something and just very slow?

Thanks
Fay
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

W Updates Empty
PostSubject: Re: W Updates   W Updates Empty3/16/2016, 14:00

Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

W Updates Empty
PostSubject: Re: W Updates   W Updates Empty3/16/2016, 14:30

Repa,

Thanks, I have tried several thing. Was just wondering if there was anything I could check to see if it was actually stuck or just extremely slow. Sometimes I have thought it was stuck and it eventually finished.
Some of the things I have read says it can take several hours, some have left it running over night.
It would be nice if Microsoft gave some way so we could check to see if it was stuck.
I read another post where someone asked that question ,but did not get a real answer, except to say if it had not done anything in about 3 hours. But then I have read some things that say since win 10 it sometimes take much longer- but I am not downloading or installing just checking.

Some people say it may even depend on which microsoft server it uses and how busy it is.

This is on my little net book with win 7 starter. It may not be worth the aggravation. I may wait and see if this finishes -might even wait if needed and let it run overnight.

If it does not finish, I may just trash the thing. Or maybe see if I can restore to factory settings , not sure, and then try.

Lot of people are really ticked off about the slowness of the updates for win 7 - since win 10.

Microsoft may start to lose customers by trying to force win 10 on everyone.

Thanks again for your response
Fay
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

W Updates Empty
PostSubject: Re: W Updates   W Updates Empty3/16/2016, 20:03

It finally finished after about  7 hours/

Fay  
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

W Updates Empty
PostSubject: Re: W Updates   W Updates Empty3/16/2016, 23:43

QUOTE: Microsoft may start to lose customers by trying to force win 10 on everyone.

Frankly, these days, I don't think most companies really care much about what their customers think.....
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

W Updates Empty
PostSubject: Re: W Updates   W Updates Empty3/17/2016, 01:02

WC,

I think I agree with you on that. I do not think they do a lot of the time, especially if they do not have much competition.

Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

W Updates Empty
PostSubject: Re: W Updates   W Updates Empty3/17/2016, 15:30

I think I am about to give up on the netbook.
I thought I had it made after it returned me the long list of updates after running 7 hours checking. FIgureI would run a few at a time.
Tried to download and install one update less tha 1M in size. Hung up.
Did the windows trouble shooter. somewhere along the line, the list up pulled updates got reset to nothing. I am trying to pull again.
If I can not get thins to work this time, think I am ready to give up. This little net book is not worth he head aches.

If I can figure out how, I will revert to factory setting, do not have a CD. If I can do that I will probably just give it to someone that wants to mess with it.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

W Updates Empty
PostSubject: Re: W Updates   W Updates Empty3/17/2016, 23:20

I don't blame you...I was searching for win updates the other day & was taking way too long...I went back to check progress, & had decided as I went back that if it was still searching I planned to cancel & try again later....got a surprise though it just finished locating updates....
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

W Updates Empty
PostSubject: Re: W Updates   W Updates Empty3/18/2016, 01:42

I think I may have gotten something messed up on my net book. As I said it ran 7 hours and finally finished locating updates- but not downloading. When I tried to install one small update it appeared to be hung up and I cancelled. I did something that caused it to clear out the list, I tired pulling again, and just now canceled after more than 9 hours. Was to long when it is not even downloading.

Tomorrow I may tray to see if I can get a restore to a previous restore point. Do not have much faith that will work. If it does I will try the windows update again.
If it doesn't I will see if I can restore to factory defaults and then try the update.

If none of that works. I may take a hammer to it. LOL
It is an inexpensive netbook and not worth all this aggravation. Not worth paying someone else to fix.

Sometimes I try things that make the problem worse LOL

BUt I am done for tonight.
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

W Updates Empty
PostSubject: Re: W Updates   W Updates Empty3/18/2016, 15:56

Finally was able to restore to a prior restore point but had to do it in safe mode.
Ended up with KB3035583 back.
Think I got that taken care of again.
It already had a list of updates that needed installing.  I selected a small one, but it appears to be hung,  It should not take very long - is less than 1 M.  I will give it a few minutes and if it does not finish, I will cancel.  Then will see if I can  do a restore to factory setting and see if any of my friends wants this netbook.  Tired of messing with it.

I do not know what it wrong.  I checked task - change it to show processes from all users,  I do not see anything that should be causing the problem.  SO I gave had it with this thing.  I still still have this desktop and my note book, do not really need the netbook - but is very frustrating

Trying to do the restore to factory defualts now.

Got the netbook restored to factory defualts and I am done with it.

That leaves me this win 7 desktop and my  notebook to worry about updating .  I put win 10 on my notebook.

Last edited by fay47 on 3/19/2016, 09:19; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

W Updates Empty
PostSubject: Re: W Updates   W Updates Empty3/19/2016, 01:18

Quote: Ended up with KB3035583 back

I deleted this ornery rascal back when win 10 was coming out, & win updates keeps trying to sneak it back in on me, even after I "Hide" it from time to time.....

Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

W Updates Empty
PostSubject: Re: W Updates   W Updates Empty3/19/2016, 09:20

WC,

I think a lot of people are angry with Microsoft over this Win 10 thing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

W Updates Empty
PostSubject: Re: W Updates   W Updates Empty

Back to top Go down

W Updates
Page 1 of 1