Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. SORRY! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REGISTER; YOUR REQUEST WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Windows Updates

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Number of posts : 1165
Humor : Yes
Registration date : 2009-10-26

Windows Updates Empty
PostSubject: Windows Updates   Windows Updates Empty10/3/2015, 00:05

Repa,

Can you please tell me how to get the Windows Updates Icon to appear in the Task Tray each month alerting me to new updates when available?

EDIT Mon 05Oct15: I should say that my Windows Updates settings are the same as always, but the last couple of months I have not received the Update Icon in task tray for new updates when available....would you know why that I'm no longer being notified?? thanks
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Windows Updates Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windows Updates   Windows Updates Empty10/5/2015, 10:37

bump
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Windows Updates Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windows Updates   Windows Updates Empty10/6/2015, 13:51

WC, I have the same problem and cannot find a solution. I suspect a past windows update is responsible, but can't find which one. Fay, have you seen this problem on your Win 7 computers?
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Windows Updates Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windows Updates   Windows Updates Empty10/8/2015, 00:21

I was over 30 win updates behind when I remembered to go to the Windows Updates page to check & found them.......I nearly hit the ceiling!

Please let me know when you discover the "Why" it happened...& the "Fix" when u find it.....!

thanks
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

Number of posts : 1480
Registration date : 2008-10-17
Mood : none

Windows Updates Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windows Updates   Windows Updates Empty10/8/2015, 14:05

Few days ago, I had over 30 updates also - in the important updates and then some others also. I had a lot of trouble getting them installed for some reason. Would appear to hang up. I ended up doing a few at a time. It may be that it was really not hung but just very slow. Even doing them a few at a time, some of the updates took quite a while.

Just saying, I understand the frustration at having that many updates to do. I was pretty frustrated myself.
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Windows Updates Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windows Updates   Windows Updates Empty10/8/2015, 21:23

for me, windows updates are causing more problems than they are worth. I think it was after an update that the credential manager for my network storage device quit working and won't save the password. I have to sign in to the device after every reboot if I want to use it. I might just quit updating altogether - it's become a real pain!
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

Number of posts : 1480
Registration date : 2008-10-17
Mood : none

Windows Updates Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windows Updates   Windows Updates Empty10/8/2015, 22:26

I hope WIN 10 will be an improvement. I only put it on my laptop and have not messed with it yet. I may have a lot of updates backed up for it . I have been working on other things and haven not even booted up my LapTop since right after the win 10 update.
If Microsfot doesn't get things cleaned up, they may start losing market share at a faster rate.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Windows Updates Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windows Updates   Windows Updates Empty10/9/2015, 00:55

Don't you have to use  windows updates to have your computer protected,(at least that is what I thought?)....so wouldn't you be at increased risk if ya'll stopped using the windows updates?...and what, if anything would take their place>
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Windows Updates Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windows Updates   Windows Updates Empty10/9/2015, 10:19

Yes, that's right WC. I don't suggest you stop updating. I'm just growing weary of the problems it has caused on my machines and I know how to mitigate the risk if I don't continue to update. I'm still searching for the problem that caused credential manager to stop saving my password for the network storage device, and have been for more than 2 months.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Windows Updates Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windows Updates   Windows Updates Empty10/9/2015, 16:38

do you think the world is looking bleaker each & every day......
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Windows Updates Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windows Updates   Windows Updates Empty10/14/2015, 16:10

Repa,

1.  On 10/10/15 I posted that MS Windows updates TRIED TO SNEAK  KB3035583 BACK IN ON ME...I'm just glad I caught it!!!    Please look at my screen shot below.

2.  Windows Updates Untitl10

3.  I've been checking around the 10th of each month for new updates......today I found 10 new and 1 optional updates......

4.  On 11Oct15, there was 2 optional updates, then next day a couple more optional updates, total 4 optional.....now, today there is only the one optional, & I did not install any of the previous 4.

5.  I wonder if they might have snuck the others into the mix of Windows updates?  There's 3 at the bottom that's not Security, but 2 Recommended, & the other KB3083710 (highlighted), just says Install to solve issues?   Since the  Windows 10 Icon & the way they fooled us with  kb3035583, I sure don't trust Microsoft any more!
thanks
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Windows Updates Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windows Updates   Windows Updates Empty10/14/2015, 17:53

WC, I have no idea what to tell you and searching the internet doesn't give me any clear answers. Others have done the same thing I am doing because it isn't clear just how safe or reliable these patches are. I haven't updated since the beginning of September due to problems with updates, and am looking to remove most of those. Some of the updates seem to be for windows 8 or 10, so I don't know why they are being offered for windows 7. I suggest you read the following and then make up your own mind. I'm sitting tight until I can find something that makes some sense:

http://www.askwoody.com/2015/updates-streaming-redmond/

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/383128-windows-update-kb3083710-win-10-tracking-related.html

Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Windows Updates Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windows Updates   Windows Updates Empty10/14/2015, 18:46

OK,

Please let me know if you learn what we ought to do...

thanks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Windows Updates Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windows Updates   Windows Updates Empty

Back to top Go down

Windows Updates
Page 1 of 1