Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. SORRY! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REGISTER; YOUR REQUEST WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

public, work, home

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

Number of posts : 1480
Registration date : 2008-10-17
Mood : none

public, work, home Empty
PostSubject: public, work, home   public, work, home Empty7/14/2012, 22:40

I set the network on my desktop to WORK and the one on my NetBook to Public.
So, they can not see each other. But, I really want the NetBook set to Work so they can see each other. Does, that mean, tht is I do take the laptop somepalce else to use, I should change the network to Public and then change it baci to Work when I get back home - or is there an easier way?

Fay
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

public, work, home Empty
PostSubject: Re: public, work, home   public, work, home Empty7/15/2012, 18:01

I have all my laptops set to work for my network and do not change the setting when I am traveling.
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

public, work, home Empty
PostSubject: Re: public, work, home   public, work, home Empty7/15/2012, 18:12

Repa,

OK
So can other people on the public network see your computer. Do you have anything set to share? How do you keep them from getting to sutff?

THanks so much for all you help. And as I said before , if all this gets to be too much jsut let me know. Just trying to kind of get this all straight. Have never known antythng about wireless and very little about sharing.

When you are traveling and using a public network what kind of things do you feel safe using or not using.

I am guessing that maybe you do not do any type of bank transacions - ????
What about e-mail etc???

Thanks
Fay
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

public, work, home Empty
PostSubject: Re: public, work, home   public, work, home Empty7/15/2012, 20:32

When you set public or work, you are setting it for the network your computer is connected to, not the computer itself. Networks set to public do not allow print or folder sharing to occur. You have set up your home network as a public network on you netbook, not your netbook itself, and therefore cannot see your other computers, nor can they see your netbook. When you travel and connect to another wireless network, that network is set to public by default, and therefore folder and print sharing does not occur. You physically have to go into the Network and Sharing Center to change it from Public to Work or Home. You can check this yourself by connecting to an unsecured wireless network in your neighborhood and then go to the Network and Sharing Center to see that it is in fact set to Public. If by some quirk it isn't, you can set it to public.

When I am traveling, I do not do banking or conduct any type of transaction online. I do email, facebook, geeks, and any research that I am interested in.

I understand your concern for security, and that's a good thing. Nothing you have told me about what you've done with your computers concerns me that you are any more vulnerable than I am. If you've followed the tutorials I've written for setting up your computers to protect them from malware and hackers, follow the save-surfing practices we've discussed on this message board, and don't open emails or attachments from anyone you don't know, then it is very unlikely you will become infected or get hacked. Not impossible, mind you, but very unlikely as you will have substantially reduced your risk by following the tutorials about computer security that are on this message board.
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

public, work, home Empty
PostSubject: Re: public, work, home   public, work, home Empty7/15/2012, 20:43

OK, Just one more question here (I think) and you might have answred already.

SO, I have the wireless network secured with wpa2 and with a passowrd. So then in your opion -will it be safe to do financial transactons, bankingc - useing the wireless when I am

home and connected to own network? I think you are saying it will be ok to do that ?
Fay
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

public, work, home Empty
PostSubject: Re: public, work, home   public, work, home Empty7/15/2012, 21:16

Reading what you said I am a bit conufsed because I can select a different setting on one of my computers than on the other one. When I was trying to play around with it the other day, seems like I got different results in what I could see on each computer, based on the different combinations. But one was wireless and on was wired. The only wirelss I have is the NetBook. Maybe I am not understanding what you said. Maybe I am getting too wrapped up in this and worrying about stuff I don't need to. Maybe I should just drop it for a while.

Thanks again for all your help,
Fay
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

public, work, home Empty
PostSubject: Re: public, work, home   public, work, home Empty7/16/2012, 14:34

fay47 wrote:
OK, Just one more question here (I think) and you might have answred already.

SO, I have the wireless network secured with wpa2 and with a passowrd. So then in your opion -will it be safe to do financial transactons, bankingc - useing the wireless when I am

home and connected to own network? I think you are saying it will be ok to do that ?

Yes, I do it all the time at home. You have applied the best security you have available on your system for your home network.
Fay
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

public, work, home Empty
PostSubject: Re: public, work, home   public, work, home Empty7/16/2012, 14:37

fay47 wrote:
Reading what you said I am a bit conufsed because I can select a different setting on one of my computers than on the other one. When I was trying to play around with it the other day, seems like I got different results in what I could see on each computer, based on the different combinations. But one was wireless and on was wired. The only wirelss I have is the NetBook. Maybe I am not understanding what you said. Maybe I am getting too wrapped up in this and worrying about stuff I don't need to. Maybe I should just drop it for a while.

Thanks again for all your help,
Fay

Not sure I understand what you are asking, or what you are seeing on one computer that's different from the other.
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

public, work, home Empty
PostSubject: Re: public, work, home   public, work, home Empty7/16/2012, 15:08

Repa,

I think I am just confusing myself. I have only the one wireless, I can't really test what I want to. You have told me enough so that I can use the wireless. I may come back to it later. At some point a friend may bring her laptop over and maybe I can play around with us both connecting to the same SSID. If I still have quesion later, I'll try to explain my question a little better.

Again, thanks for your help and your patience
Fay

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

public, work, home Empty
PostSubject: Re: public, work, home   public, work, home Empty

Back to top Go down

public, work, home
Page 1 of 1