Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. SORRY! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REGISTER; YOUR REQUEST WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Uninstall Programs

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Uninstall Programs Empty
PostSubject: Uninstall Programs   Uninstall Programs Empty10/22/2008, 12:02

pepperpot
Site Admin

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:29 am Post subject: Uninstall programs · Quote · Edit · Delete · IP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When uninstalling programs through your Add or Remove Programs, some add information and/or extra features.

Here is a free alternative that claims to do a thorough job.

http://www.freewareplaza.com/downloads/easy-uninsataller/free-software-easy-uninstaller.html

This uninstaller has a few extra features. It includes checkboxes beside each program in the list. You can select all of the programs you'd like to uninstall at once. It also offers an option to backup your uninstall list.

This really comes in handy if you download a lot of software's or use monthly software CD's which will end up in a lot of unneeded software's you had tried and want to clean up.

"Spirituality is not religion, religion divides people. Believing in something unites"

Back to top · Profile · PM · Email · WWW

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Repa
Site Admin
User is Online

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:41 am Post subject: · Quote · Edit · Delete · IP

I would like to point out that the download for the above software is redirected to www.download.com. Download.com has some downloads that contain adware, viruses, trojans or other potentially unwanted programs. Download.com prohibits these programs and removes them when found, but the key phrase is "when found." If you download this software or any software from this site, be sure you select "Save" instead of "Run," save it to your hard drive and scan the file with your virus scanner and at least one or more malware scanners like Spybot, asquared or AVG Anti-Spyware before installing it. The main thing is to be aware of the potential hazards you face when downloading any freeware. Do your research first!

Older than dirt!

Back to top · Profile · PM · Email

pepperpot
Site Admin

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:55 am Post subject: · Quote · Edit · Delete · IP

Good... Thanks Repa... I'm glad you saw this as I wanted you to check it out to give your input.

I think I found this link at Mashable, days after the discussion you and Rike had about unistalling Norton; and I thought it to be a good alternative

"Spirituality is not religion, religion divides people. Believing in something unites"

Back to top · Profile · PM · Email · WWW

Repa
Site Admin
User is Online

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:29 pm Post subject: · Quote · Edit · Delete · IP

It probably is ok, Sam, but you never know what is piggy-backed with the download. That is why you should be aware of the "safe" download sites like Majorgeeks, and research any software before downloading anything but the very best-known and widely used freeware applications. Just looking for a "Green" rating at SiteAdvisor isn't enough. If you read everything posted there, you will often find that SiteAdvisor has not tested downloads, gives green ratings to sites linked to yellow or red sites, and uses the phrase " When we visited this site, we found that most of its links are to sites which are safe or have only minor safety/annoyance issues" to dismiss the potential hazards that could await you due to their lack of thorough testing. Often, a site rated "Green" by site advisor will have User Reviews (below siteadvisor's comments) that warn of adware, viruses and other malware they detected or were infected by when visiting and downloading from the site. I will say, to their credit, that if they rate a site "Yellow" or "Red" you can believe it!

I can't emphasize enough that to keep your computer safe, you can't be lazy about computer safety! Do your research in more than one place before downloading!
Back to top Go down

Uninstall Programs
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks :: Windows Computer Help :: Computer Links-
Jump to: