Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. SORRY! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REGISTER; YOUR REQUEST WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Adding image with resolution

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
ruthsollid
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
ruthsollid

Number of posts : 492
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Adding image with resolution Empty
PostSubject: Adding image with resolution   Adding image with resolution Empty11/8/2008, 18:49

I have kinda an odd question. I'm creating a website for someone and she wants to add a photo on the Home page. She wants a kinda large photo. How do I get good resolution of the picture, enlarging it from the photo that she emailed me? (If it helps, I can post it)

I guess that I really have two questions. How large can a photo be before the download time is severely affected?

Thanks much!!
Ruth
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Adding image with resolution   Adding image with resolution Empty11/9/2008, 15:37

If you have Photoshop or Photoshop Elements, use Process Multiple Files (File > Process Multiple Files) and save the file somewhere as a Tiff file at 600dpi. Then, load the Tiff file into Photoshop/Photoshop Elements and increase the image dimensions in steps of 25% until you reach the dimensions you want. You can double the size of the photo this way without falling below 300dpi. If you need to go larger than twice the size, continue in increments of 10%, and check "Resample Image" using Bicubic to keep the dpi from going below 300dpi. You may have to use a small amount of unsharpen mask to resharpen the picture a bit.

Download time is a function of file size and download speed. For example, if you have a 1MB image file, the download time varies as follows:

]
Download SpeedDownload Time
1.0Mbps8.00sec
1.5Mbps5.33sec
3.0Mbps2.67sec
6.0Mbps1.33sec
56Kbps (dialup)2.44min

Image files should be manipulated (edited) in either Tiff format (what I use) or the Native File format of your image editor (PSD for Photoshop/Photoshop Elements), and then "Save for Web" as a JPEG image at 72dpi with a file size of about 60KB - 120KB for good image quality as viewed on a computer monitor. Image dimensions should be specified in pixels. The image dimensions we use on the portal page are 650pixels x 650pixels or less. Samantha's picture on our portal page is currently 650 pixels wide by 498 pixels high, just to give you a reference.
Back to top Go down
ruthsollid
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
ruthsollid

PostSubject: Re: Adding image with resolution   Adding image with resolution Empty11/9/2008, 17:10

Thanks Repa!! Unfortunately, I don't have Photoshop. I use FastStone Image Viewer (that Ted recommended a long time ago) as my image editor. I will put the image here in Tiff format.
Adding image with resolution Window11

Thanks also for the info about the download speed!!

Ruth Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Adding image with resolution   Adding image with resolution Empty11/9/2008, 18:22

How large in pixels do you want this image to be, Ruth? I'll do it for you if you don't know how to do it in FastStone Image Viewer, and leave you a copy in .jpg format that you can copy and email back to your friend. The picture you posted is in .jpg format. It also has writing in the lower white frame, and in the lower middle portion of the picture. Do you want that left in there? The quality of the photo you posted is not great - do you have a better copy? I think I can make this one look better if you don't.
Back to top Go down
ruthsollid
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
ruthsollid

PostSubject: Re: Adding image with resolution   Adding image with resolution Empty11/9/2008, 18:36

I resized it in FastStone as a Tiff, but saved it as a JPEG. When I added it as an image to the site, here's what DW said...450 x 339 JPEG, 32K / 5sec . I'm not such how big she wants it, but resizing it as a Tiff helped A LOT!! THANKS!! Here is a screenshot of the top part of the Home page...
Adding image with resolution Home_p11

I'll send her a screenshot. The image is how she emailed it to me, so I have no idea about the writing. I'll see what she says, but I thank-you immensely for your help and offer!! I'll post back what she says.

Ruth Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ruthsollid
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
ruthsollid

PostSubject: Re: Adding image with resolution   Adding image with resolution Empty11/11/2008, 22:46

She said that she loves it, so it must be the right size!

THANKS!!! Very Happy

Ruth
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Adding image with resolution   Adding image with resolution Empty

Back to top Go down

Adding image with resolution
Page 1 of 1