Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. SORRY! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REGISTER; YOUR REQUEST WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

50 Million Computer Users could lose their data this week

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

50 Million Computer Users could lose their data this week Empty
PostSubject: 50 Million Computer Users could lose their data this week   50 Million Computer Users could lose their data this week Empty1/30/2012, 17:51

Interesting article about Megaupload. This could happen to any online backup and storage service. Might make you think twice about using this kind of service. I use an external hard drive to back up all files and images of my internal hard drives.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46190158/ns/technology_and_science-security/
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

Number of posts : 1480
Registration date : 2008-10-17
Mood : none

50 Million Computer Users could lose their data this week Empty
PostSubject: Re: 50 Million Computer Users could lose their data this week   50 Million Computer Users could lose their data this week Empty1/30/2012, 19:11

I have a couple of external drives I back up my stuff to. Haven't yet decided to trust the online backups. But then if my house gets destroyed, maybe I'll wish I had. oh well

Have a friend that has a laptop that she does her checkbook on. She doesn't do any backup at all and really doesn't know how. She is coming over for her birthday in a couple of weeks. I got a small thumb drive to give her. I'll show her how to save her spreadsheet to it. Will try to keep it pretty simple or she will get frustrated. Right now if her hard drive crashes, she will lose it all. I have talked to her about backups before but she hasn't done anything She was gong to ask her husband about it, but sometimes she hates to ask him because he gets frustrated with her if she has to ask multiple times. I have never even mentioned to her about online backups. I have show her my external drives, but I think this little jump drive will work for her at least now.

Sometimes I get a little lax about doing the backups. I do not have them scheduled, I don't like things automatically running. But, I have to get better about dong them.

Fay

Back to top Go down

50 Million Computer Users could lose their data this week
Page 1 of 1