Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. SORRY! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REGISTER; YOUR REQUEST WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

another quesion on moving personal files

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

Number of posts : 1480
Registration date : 2008-10-17
Mood : none

another quesion on moving personal files Empty
PostSubject: another quesion on moving personal files   another quesion on moving personal files Empty5/14/2012, 21:24

I guess if I set up a new user and I wanted their data to be on the persoanl partition, I would have to go in and move it after the user is set up - is that correct?

It is not a problem - I only set up new users for testing - and probably would not even need to move those personal files over. Just want to make sure I undersand this. There is no way of setting up the folders like Documetns - so that when a new user is set up - it would acutomatcially be put on the persoanl partition - is that correct?

Fay
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

PostSubject: Re: another quesion on moving personal files   another quesion on moving personal files Empty5/15/2012, 00:53

I think I got everything in my user that had a LOCATION tab moved over, except for LOCAL, LOCALLOW and ROMING. I read some things that make me a little nervouse about trying to move those. Did you move those? One article I read listed those as ones to move, but others did not.

Some of the folders I moved - the folder was deleted from the old location, for others and empty folder was left. Do you have any idea why that is?

Fay
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

PostSubject: Re: another quesion on moving personal files   another quesion on moving personal files Empty5/15/2012, 01:50

Fay, I don't mess with other user accounts, only need the owner and administrator accounts. I haven't used the Location tab and I'm not sure what you mean by the personal partition. If I had more than one account and wanted something in User in one or the other or both, I'd just drag it there, or cut and paste or copy and paste, depending on my intended end result. Windows 7 does things differently than XP, and I still haven't figured it all out yet. I have an empty My Documents folder under Desktop>Username that you would think is the same My Documents folder as under C>Users>Username, or C>documents and settings>Username, but it isn't. The 2 latter folders are full of stuff I put there or defaulted there, and the first one, as I mentioned before is empty. I haven't figured out yet why they set things up like this, why there are these duplicated locations, or why if you moved a folder it remained in the original partition but empty. Still have things to learn about Windoes 7. If you have a specific question, I'll try to answer it or figure it out, but not sure what you are trying to achieve at the moment.
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

PostSubject: Re: another quesion on moving personal files   another quesion on moving personal files Empty5/15/2012, 18:20

Repa,

Well, I guess I kinda have 2 things I was/am trying to achieve.

One, was to get my personal files off the C parition. The other is just to try to figure out how some of this stuff works.
(When I said personal partition , I just meant the partition I set up to hold my personal files)

I still have not moved over the files under appdata\local - but maybe I should just leave those alone. I think I have about everything else moved over that I need to.
And I guess it is not really necessary for me to understand all of it. Smile

I guess at this point, I have probably spent about enough time messing with this and taking up your time.

Thanks for all your help
Fay

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: another quesion on moving personal files   another quesion on moving personal files Empty

Back to top Go down

another quesion on moving personal files
Page 1 of 1