Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. SORRY! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REGISTER; YOUR REQUEST WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

My New Computer

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Number of posts : 1165
Humor : Yes
Registration date : 2009-10-26

My New Computer - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My New Computer   My New Computer - Page 2 Empty11/11/2012, 01:18

Repa,

1) I saw that there was a Windows Defender Update(KB915597) that was marked "Failed". How can I get that failed Update(KB915597) to try again?

2) Sometime after installing Spybot the other day, I don't remember what I was doing, but, at the bottom of the screen, there appeared "The Spybot S&D IE Protectionadd-onfrom Safer Networking LTD is ready for use. There were 2 boxes, Enable & Don't Enable. I chose Don't Enable since I wasn't sure. Was that the wrong choice? If it was how do I get a chance to Enable it now?

3) I noticed yesterday that I had Windows Update set to Automatic Updates, but when I went to >Control panel>windows updates, I had some updates waiting, to install, so I had some time so I had to select them manually & install. Since "Automatic" was Enabled do you know why they did not go ahead & install?

Last edited by wcturner on 11/11/2012, 01:53; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

PostSubject: Re: My New Computer   My New Computer - Page 2 Empty11/11/2012, 01:31

Do the important updates. You can also select the optional update if you want to, but it isn't critical that you do. I rarely do.

Regarding the emoticon, if you type 8 ) without a separation between the 8 and the ), you get the emoticon like this Cool . If you want to list only numbers, type 8. instead of 8 ) without the space between 8 and ), i.e., don't type this:
Code:
8)
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: My New Computer   My New Computer - Page 2 Empty11/11/2012, 01:57

Repa,

1) I saw that there was a Windows Defender Update(KB915597) that was marked "Failed". How can I get that failed Update(KB915597) to try again?

2) Sometime after installing Spybot the other day, I don't remember what I was doing, but, at the bottom of the screen, there appeared "The Spybot S&D IE Protection add-on from Safer Networking LTD is ready for use. There were 2 boxes, Enable & Don't Enable. I chose Don't Enable since I wasn't sure. Was that the wrong choice? If it was how do I get a chance to Enable it now?

3) I noticed yesterday that I had Windows Update set to Automatic Updates, but when I went to >Control panel>windows updates, I had some updates waiting, to install, so I had some time so I had to select them manually & install. Since "Automatic" was Enabled do you know why they did not go ahead & install?

I moved this down below your last reply(thought you might not see it above your last reply), since I was editing at the same time you replied, but, i couldn't delete, so there is 2 of the same in the thread.

I came back to Edit, but when I got back I forgot what I was gonna post, ain't that pitiful!

4) My spell check and stuff is not working here on this new machine I assume it has to be turned on somewhere? And, what else do I need to change or enable her if you don't mind?

5) Edit: Found 2 more failed Win Updates, both marked Important, and are Service Pack 2 related.
1) KB973688
2) KB954430
I guess I need to know how to get them installed, and is there any problem that I would experience doing them?
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: My New Computer   My New Computer - Page 2 Empty11/11/2012, 15:25

Repa,

1) First off, I got Spybot fully immunized by your Admin workaround. I ran my first scan with it and got a scare. It found something called "Coupon Bar" and 11 entries adware, all are Registry keys. I did not see a virus chest, only a fix it now button. I'll just hold off for a while to see if you are able to reply on this, if not all I know to do is go ahead & click the fix button, & hope that's correct. Anything concerning the Registry really concerns me.

2) I still don't have a bar at the top so I can create screen shots, which is what I wanted to do with this problem. Anybody know?

3 Anybody know where to turn on spellcheck, that's another thing not yet working on this new computer?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

Number of posts : 1480
Registration date : 2008-10-17
Mood : none

PostSubject: Re: My New Computer   My New Computer - Page 2 Empty11/11/2012, 15:46

wwc

I use the Google tool bar which has a spell checker on it bu I doubt that is waht you are talking about.

Up towards the top of this screen over to the right there is a Sell Checker link, I have never used it. Just tried clicking on it and it looks like it take you to a site wher you enter the word you want to check , doub that is what you are talking about before.

How were you doing your spell check before?

I use IE9 which as far as I know does not have a build in spell checker - and as I said I use the the goggle tool bar. I think I saw somthing about other addons that for ie9 that would do a spell check.

I think I saw something that said FireFox has a checker - not sure since i usually use IE, but you are using IE no aren't you?

Fay
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: My New Computer   My New Computer - Page 2 Empty11/11/2012, 15:59

Repa told me how to get File, Edit, tools, etc up at the top, but when I try to make a screen shot, those items are missing, so I can't do the file, edit, paste thing to do the screen shot. And, I tried what Repa said but, that doesn't work for screen shot tool bar.

I don't even know how I did spell check with my old computer. Trying to get a new computer set up & running is quite a hassle for someone that's not very computer savy!
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: My New Computer   My New Computer - Page 2 Empty11/11/2012, 16:29

wcturner wrote:

Repa,

1) First off, I got Spybot fully immunized by your Admin workaround. I ran my first scan with it and got a scare. It found something called "Coupon Bar" and 11 entries adware, all are Registry keys. I did not see a virus chest, only a fix it now button. I'll just hold off for a while to see if you are able to reply on this, if not all I know to do is go ahead & click the fix button, & hope that's correct. Anything concerning the Registry really concerns me.

Fix them - it can be undone later if necessary if you make a mistake. Probably comes from some bloatware that compaq included with your computer. Rerun in safe mode and make sure they are all gone. Spybot does, in fact, quarantine them, and they can be recovered or deleted by using the Recovery link in the left column.

2) I still don't have a bar at the top so I can create screen shots, which is what I wanted to do with this problem. Anybody know?

I haven't a clue what you are talking about - what kind of a bar at the top of what? You don't need anything like that to create a screen shot and post it. Just press the PrtSC SysRq key on your keyboard, open Paint from the Start Menu, and select Paste at the top left of the screen. Save the image as a .jpg file and then post it here. If it's the ie menu bar you are talking about, once you do what I told you, it should stay there unless you did a restore back to a time before you did that. But that has nothing whatever to do with creating or posting a screenshot here.

3 Anybody know where to turn on spellcheck, that's another thing not yet working on this new computer?

There is a spell-checker on this forum. Highlight the text you want to spell-check, right-click on it and select copy. On the menu bar at the top of the page you will see a link called "Spell Checker" on the far right side of the menu bar. Click on it and it will take you to a screen with a text box. Right-click in the text box and select paste. Click the Spell Check button. Words that may need to be changed will be indicated in red text with suggestions for changing in a small box below. When done, copy the completed spell-checked text and paste it back into the original location.

Thanks

You can also try ieSpell if you are feeling adventurous - read about it here:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/20113/add-spell-checking-to-internet-explorer/

The download link is at the end of the article. I understand there are addons offered with this download and if you reject the addons, iespell may not install. If that is the case, I would not install it with the addons. Don't know what they are, and don't care - it doesn't bother me not to have a browser spell checker. I went to the "old" school and learned grammar and how to spell. They didn't give you a choice way back then - you had to learn or repeat the grade! (LOL)
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

PostSubject: Re: My New Computer   My New Computer - Page 2 Empty11/11/2012, 17:24

Repa,

I have never been a good speller and not that great with grammar either. But use to be better than I am now, have gotten worse over the years. On of my college teachers once said that one of the good things about been a computer programmer was that you did not have to spell very well LOL.

I like having a spell checker, but often forget to use it. For me it finds not only true spelling errors, but typos as well - which I have a lot of.

I have the google toolbar mainly for the spell checker. Do not know if there are reasons it should be avoided, but I have had it a long time and have not problems with it that I am aware of.

Fay
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

PostSubject: Re: My New Computer   My New Computer - Page 2 Empty11/11/2012, 17:28

I think I have gotten the coupon bar thing before. I have gone to print off coupons and it has told me that I had to install it to get the coupons. Then Spybot would find it and I would have it delete what it found. Then later I would forget and do it again. I really do not know if the coupon bar is a bad thing or not, guess I should do some research on it.

Fay
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: My New Computer   My New Computer - Page 2 Empty11/11/2012, 18:27

Repa said: I haven't a clue what you are talking about- I apoligize for not having all the proper computerese terms to communicate with.

what kind of a bar at the top of what? The tool bar, I guess it's called, at the top of every page.

You don't need anything like that to create a screen shot and post it. I don't have "File" or Edit" & that's needed to complete a screen shot.

Just press the PrtSC SysRq key on your keyboard I did that.
, open Paint from the Start Menu I did that. , and select Paste at the top left of the screen. Save the image as a .jpg file and then post it here. When Paint is opened on my new computer it is not configured like on my old one at all. And, when I tried to get a screen shot, & clicking different buttons in Paint, I must have screwed it up further.

If it's the ie menu bar you are talking about, once you do what I told you, it should stay there unless you did a restore back to a time before you did that. Okay, Menu Bar, then. I did what you told me, & it restored the Menu Bar, & "it has stayed there", & is still up there now, ever since you told me how to restore it. BUT, it never did show up when I opened Paint, just after I did what you told me. And, even after I had paint opened up, I tried a right click, according to your instructions, hoping to get a Menu Bar for my Paint, but, the drop down window that opened up did not offer the Menu Bar on it.

But that has nothing whatever to do with creating or posting a screenshot here. It does if I don't have a Menu Bar with File & Edit, & paste.

Thank you for your reply.

Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

PostSubject: Re: My New Computer   My New Computer - Page 2 Empty11/11/2012, 20:11

wc,

So what you are talking about when you say you do noot have a menu bar - is you mean you do not have a menu bar on the paint screen - is that correct.

Looks like Paint is a little differnt on WIn 7. I have not used it bot took a look.
Up at the top you should have some tabs.
If you click on tyhe onw that has an incoen with a down arro beside it - left click - it will bring up a drop down menu with choices like Nes, Open Save etc.
But I do not see a past there. But if you click on the home tab - you will be a bar beneath it sith soem choice, on mine Paste is the first option. I don't remmeber doing anything to get it there.

If you still can't find in - post back and tell us waht you see when you click on the Home tab.

Fay
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: My New Computer   My New Computer - Page 2 Empty11/11/2012, 20:41

Sorry I didn't understand. I had no idea you were talking about a menu bar in Paint. I thought you were still talking about the IE menu bar, and that made no sense to me at all.

In Windows 7, there is no menu bar in Paint. It has been replaced by icons, some of which are labeled, and include copy, Paste, and tools that include all the edit features that were in Windows XP. This Paint is in fact easier to use once you get used to it. Hover your mouse pointer over the icons to see what they do if they aren't labeled. I'm posting a screenshot with instructions written on it and the icons you need to use circled so you can see the minimum you need to do to create an image of your screenshot and save it in a folder to post here.

My New Computer - Page 2 Exampl10

Click the thumbnail to see the larger picture. You may have to select View > Zoom > 150 to see everything plainly.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: My New Computer   My New Computer - Page 2 Empty11/11/2012, 22:47

1) I discovered some of those icons, & by clicking and opening some of the drop down menus & I saw save as, paste and some of that stuff, but I never was able to totally figure out how to complete the screen shot. At one point I clicked save this picture & that didn't work out for me. Anyway, as I previously mentioned, I screwed the Paint screen up some how and I don't know how to restore it back like it was, before I began trying to create a screen shot.??

Well, to my surprise, I think I actually created a picture of how my "Paint" appears when I open it up, & it is not supposed to look like the blank picture that you will see if I can post it now.

My New Computer - Page 2 Paint10

I think I got this screenshot of how my Paint looks when I open it up currently. And, if you know how I can restore it back to how it is supposed to look, before I started messing with it, I'd appreciate it.?

So, it appears like the following is all we need do to create our screenshots with 7? Just press the PrtSC SysRq key on your keyboard, open Paint from the Start Menu, and select Paste at the top left of the screen. Save the image as a .jpg file and then post it.

And "File and Edit" is not even needed anymore.? You're correct, it is easier, & with fewer steps to do.

Okay, do you see what I mean about that light blue background with the white rectangle showing up(that's not supposed to be there) when my Paint is opened up?

2) OK, now for the Spybot adware problem. I clicked the Fix It button and it then said 9 problems fixed and 2 problems couldn't be fixed. Warning: Some problems couldn't be fixed; The reason could be that the associated files are still in use(in memory). This could be fixed after a Restart. May Spybot-SD run on your next system Start Up? I said Yes.
It began the Restart, and when system came back up, the Spybot started what they called "Spybot is checking Your System. With the screen being Black when the "Checking" started, I am assuming that would be the same as Running Spybot again in Safe mode. I came back several times to see the progress, and 1/2 way through, the computer "Froze Up again. I had no acess to Task Manager, so I tried your key board instructions you gave me, you know, Press the WinKey & release it instructions. It did not work.
So, now after I post this, Ill try to run Spybot again, this time in Safe Mode. That is if I can get into Safe Mode by using the F8 tap, tap, as I did on Win. XP.???

EDIT: Repa, I could not get into Safe Mode using the Tapping the F8 Key. So, If you will kindly instruct me how to get into Safe Mode in Win.7, I will then try another Spybot scan. Oh, I've been using the right click on Icon and then clicking the Scan as Administrator button. And, will that work in Safe Mode if I can get in there? Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: My New Computer   My New Computer - Page 2 Empty11/11/2012, 23:50

wcturner wrote:
1)
I think I got this screenshot of how my Paint looks when I open it up currently. And, if you know how I can restore it back to how it is supposed to look, before I started messing with it, I'd appreciate it.?

To the right of where it says "Home View", right-click in that gray bar and uncheck "Minimize the ribbon." Your screen will return back to what it looked like before.

2) OK, now for the Spybot adware problem. I clicked the Fix It button and it then said 9 problems fixed and 2 problems couldn't be fixed. Warning: Some problems couldn't be fixed; The reason could be that the associated files are still in use(in memory). This could be fixed after a Restart. May Spybot-SD run on your next system Start Up? I said Yes.
It began the Restart, and when system came back up, the Spybot started what they called "Spybot is checking Your System. With the screen being Black when the "Checking" started, I am assuming that would be the same as Running Spybot again in Safe mode. I came back several times to see the progress, and 1/2 way through, the computer "Froze Up again. I had no acess to Task Manager, so I tried your key board instructions you gave me, you know, Press the WinKey & release it instructions. It did not work.

That only works if you're already booted into windows and your screen freezes there in normal mode, and I don't know if it always works, you just have to try it and see the next time you get that problem in normal mode.

So, now after I post this, Ill try to run Spybot again, this time in Safe Mode. That is if I can get into Safe Mode by using the F8 tap, tap, as I did on Win. XP.???

EDIT: Repa, I could not get into Safe Mode using the Tapping the F8 Key. So, If you will kindly instruct me how to get into Safe Mode in Win.7, I will then try another Spybot scan. Oh, I've been using the right click on Icon and then clicking the Scan as Administrator button. And, will that work in Safe Mode if I can get in there? Thanks.

Tapping F8 should work. Maybe you aren't being quick enough with the F8 key. Shut the computer down, wait 15 - 30 seconds, turn the power on, and start tapping the F8 key rapidly until you get the screen with the option to select Safe Mode. If that doesn't work, try holding the F8 key down while the system is booting. If you can't get it to work after several tries, use the second method described here:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5117212_boot-compaq-presario-safe-mode.html

If you use the second method, be sure you go back into msconfig and uncheck Safe Boot on the Boot tab before leaving safe mode. Also, while you're in msconfig, probably everything in the Startup tab is checked and you have a ton of stuff running at startup that shouldn't be, using resources unnecessarily. Uncheck everything except Avast and Windows Defender and restart.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: My New Computer   My New Computer - Page 2 Empty11/12/2012, 14:35

Repa,
1-- I got the menu bar back in Paint per your instructions. Now, How do I remove the white rectangle in the screen shot that I posted above? You can write, draw, etc on it, but I don't know how to remove it, and it remains on Paint each time I open Paint..??
Thanks

2-- I'm gonna try to get into safe mode and run Spybot again & see if it removes the other 2 problems that it could not remove in Normal Mode. Do you know why computer froze up during the Spybot "Re-Checking my Computer" after the Re-Start that Spybot requested?

3-- Edit: Ok I was gonna go ahead & do the "msconfig" Start Up Tab & uncheck all but Avast & Win Def. Mind telling me where "Run" is located in this Win. 7 ???????

I'll see if I can post the screen shot again so you don't have to scroll back up this thread to see the white rectangle that I can't get rid of.

My New Computer - Page 2 Paint11
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: My New Computer   My New Computer - Page 2 Empty11/12/2012, 15:43

wcturner wrote:
Repa,
1-- I got the menu bar back in Paint per your instructions. Now, How do I remove the white rectangle in the screen shot that I posted above? You can write, draw, etc on it, but I don't know how to remove it, and it remains on Paint each time I open Paint..??
Thanks

That's your canvas, and it is supposed to be there. You can change its size by the sliding bar at the bottom right of your page, but you can't get rid of it and don't want to.

2-- I'm gonna try to get into safe mode and run Spybot again & see if it removes the other 2 problems that it could not remove in Normal Mode. Do you know why computer froze up during the Spybot "Re-Checking my Computer" after the Re-Start that Spybot requested?

No

3-- Edit: Ok I was gonna go ahead & do the "msconfig" Start Up Tab & uncheck all but Avast & Win Def. Mind telling me where "Run" is located in this Win. 7 ???????

Click Start and type Run in the text box. It will show the Run shorcut at the top of the window that appears. Click on it to open it. You can also pin it to your start menu by right-click on Start > select properties on the pop-up menu, and on the window that appears select the Start Menu tab if it isn't already selected, click on the Customize button, and scroll down the menu that appears until you see Run command and select it by checking the box next to it. Click ok, click ok. When you open the start menu, the Run command icon will be located on it somewhere within plain view.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: My New Computer   My New Computer - Page 2 Empty11/12/2012, 16:46

Repa said: That's your canvas, and it is supposed to be there, you can't get rid of it and don't want to. I did not remember the canvas being on my old XP paint. I thought I had caused it to be there, so I was trying to get rid of it.

Thanks for the Run info!
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: My New Computer   My New Computer - Page 2 Empty11/12/2012, 17:10

I've got a screenshot of the run, msconfig, StartUp tab. WinDefender wasn't on the list, but it is in the "Services" tab list, I just viewed the list, I did not change anything. In the Start Up tab, I unchecked all but Avast, and SuperAntispyware. Is that Okay?

My New Computer - Page 2 Startu10
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: My New Computer   My New Computer - Page 2 Empty11/12/2012, 19:05

Repa, with this post, looks like I'll be 3 ahead of you, sorry about that. Please take a look at the previous posts, thanks.

1) I got into Safe Mode by shutting down computer, waiting about 45 seconds & using the F8 Key tapping method. I forgot to right click Spybot icon to run as Administrator, dang it! Is it necessary to run spybot again in safe mode, & this time click "Run as Administrator"??

But, I ran Spybot in safe mode anyway, and nothing found this time around.
Maybe the frozen scan(when the computer froze up half way thru the spybot check) after the restart that spybot did was enough to get rid of the 2 problems that the initial scan couldn't fix?

2) I think I'm ready to pick up, & continue your instructions, you tell me what you think? I had completed #8, & #9the defrag, I had set the New Restore point for #10, & I was doing #11 when all this other stuff came up with Spybot, and all. So, now, I think Avast, Spybot, & Spyblaster are up to date. I had turned Win. Auitomatic Updates back on after I had to stop to fix this Spybot and all. I just checked "Win. Updates" before starting this post, & it showed 4 optional updates, & in the small pane to the right no "Important" updates are showing, & it said no "updates are selected". So, unless you think I need to do any of the previous steps over again, I assume that I can move on? And, I have done updates, & run quick scans with Avast, Windows Defender, Malwarebytes and Superantispyware during my Spybot problems. I run quick scans daily with Avast & Win. Defender. I think I might be able to start again with Instruction #13. So, please tell me what you think I need to do?

3) Please advise on #14 if you don't mind.? I guess I just follow what #14 says, & turn off those things.? Here's dumb question, Would I be correct in assuming that those unnecessary Services will remain off?
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: My New Computer   My New Computer - Page 2 Empty11/12/2012, 19:38

wcturner wrote:
I've got a screenshot of the run, msconfig, StartUp tab. WinDefender wasn't on the list, but it is in the "Services" tab list, I just viewed the list, I did not change anything. In the Start Up tab, I unchecked all but Avast, and SuperAntispyware. Is that Okay?

My New Computer - Page 2 Startu10

Superantispyware realtime monitoring will only be good for 30 days and then will stop and ask you if you want to purchase an upgrade. So, you can leave it checked to startup or not, doesn't really matter.
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: My New Computer   My New Computer - Page 2 Empty11/12/2012, 19:55

wcturner wrote:
Repa, with this post, looks like I'll be 3 ahead of you, sorry about that. Please take a look at the previous posts, thanks.

1) I got into Safe Mode by shutting down computer, waiting about 45 seconds & using the F8 Key tapping method. I forgot to right click Spybot icon to run as Administrator, dang it! Is it necessary to run spybot again in safe mode, & this time click "Run as Administrator"??

No, that seems to affect the immunization process only - don't know why that just started.

But, I ran Spybot in safe mode anyway, and nothing found this time around.
Maybe the frozen scan(when the computer froze up half way thru the spybot check) after the restart that spybot did was enough to get rid of the 2 problems that the initial scan couldn't fix?

Could be, have never had that happen before.

2) I think I'm ready to pick up, & continue your instructions, you tell me what you think? I had completed #8, & #9the defrag, I had set the New Restore point for #10, & I was doing #11 when all this other stuff came up with Spybot, and all. So, now, I think Avast, Spybot, & Spyblaster are up to date. I had turned Win. Auitomatic Updates back on after I had to stop to fix this Spybot and all. I just checked "Win. Updates" before starting this post, & it showed 4 optional updates, & in the small pane to the right no "Important" updates are showing, & it said no "updates are selected". So, unless you think I need to do any of the previous steps over again, I assume that I can move on? And, I have done updates, & run quick scans with Avast, Windows Defender, Malwarebytes and Superantispyware during my Spybot problems. I run quick scans daily with Avast & Win. Defender. I think I might be able to start again with Instruction #13. So, please tell me what you think I need to do?

Move on!

3) Please advise on #14 if you don't mind.? I guess I just follow what #14 says, & turn off those things.? Here's dumb question, Would I be correct in assuming that those unnecessary Services will remain off?

If you are happy with the way your computer is performing, then maybe you should just leave the services as they are. If you want to try it, then only change the service settings to that specified in the "Safe" column if they are different than that column. Leave any that you don't find in the list as they are. There is one that I would stop and disable, however as I read that it isn't integrating with the Windows security center and and in checking I could find no evidence that it was integrated with the Windows security center. When I stopped and disabled the SBSD Security Center Service, my system performance increased noticeably wrt applications opening. So, you can stop and disable that one for sure, and the others I'll leave to however comfortable you feel about it.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: My New Computer   My New Computer - Page 2 Empty11/13/2012, 00:44

Repa, since there's a couple things I'm not clear on, I'll ask again to better understand.

1) wcturner wrote:

Repa's reply: Superantispyware realtime monitoring will only be good for 30 days and then will stop and ask you if you want to purchase an upgrade. So, you can leave it checked to startup or not, doesn't really matter. a) I don't understand, does Superantispyware being on the run, msconfig, StartUp tab list, make it have realtime monitoring for 30 days?

b) Is it a problem that Windows Defender was not on the run, msconfig, StartUp tab list?

c) And, was Windows Defender supposed to be in the "Services" tab list where I saw it?

D) I've still not gone thru the IE 9 setup yet. I've been saying ask me later, & it is not popping up very often. Since the way you described it earlier, I got the impression that by running thru the setup in the Custom Settings mode, would enable things to run faster & more efficent. I would appreciate it if you would give me the answers to the set up questions so my computer would benefit from the Custom Setings?

E) Just had a final thought. Should I still not go anywhere on the Internet, except for here at Geeks, & my Email?

I hope to move on tomorrow, & maybe I can finish up this week, I hope!!
Thanks...
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: My New Computer   My New Computer - Page 2 Empty11/13/2012, 01:03

wcturner wrote:
Repa, since there's a couple things I'm not clear on, I'll ask again to better understand.

1) wcturner wrote:

Repa's reply: Superantispyware realtime monitoring will only be good for 30 days and then will stop and ask you if you want to purchase an upgrade. So, you can leave it checked to startup or not, doesn't really matter. a) I don't understand, does Superantispyware being on the run, msconfig, StartUp tab list, make it have realtime monitoring for 30 days?

No, you have a 30 day trial period in which the realtime monitor works in Superantispyware. The program sets the requirement to run at startup. If you leave it along, you get 30 days of realtime monitoring. At the end of 30 days, it no longer works. I can't remember if the icon stays in the system tray after that, but if it does, it will be dimmed or look different somehow and you will have to uncheck it in msconfig to get it out of the system tray.

b) Is it a problem that Windows Defender was not on the run, msconfig, StartUp tab list?

No, on some computers it will be there, on others it will not. The main thing is that it is Started in Services and set to Automatic Delayed start.

c) And, was Windows Defender supposed to be in the "Services" tab list where I saw it?

Yes

D) I've still not gone thru the IE 9 setup yet. I've been saying ask me later, & it is not popping up very often. Since the way you described it earlier, I got the impression that by running thru the setup in the Custom Settings mode, would enable things to run faster & more efficent. I would appreciate it if you would give me the answers to the set up questions so my computer would benefit from the Custom Setings?

WC, I don't remember them. I'd have to see them as they appear in the setup. If you aren't sure of what to do, go with the recommended settings. They can be changed later if you aren't happy.

E) Just had a final thought. Should I still not go anywhere on the Internet, except for here at Geeks, & my Email?

No, go wherever you like.

I hope to move on tomorrow, & maybe I can finish up this week, I hope!!
Thanks...
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: My New Computer   My New Computer - Page 2 Empty11/13/2012, 01:22

Repa,
I meant to say: Should I still not go anywhere on the Internet, except for here at Geeks, & my Email, Until I finish the rest of your instructions?

Repa said: No, go wherever you like. If that's the case, then, will I still need to complete the rest of your instructions after all?
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: My New Computer   My New Computer - Page 2 Empty11/13/2012, 09:23

That's up to you. What I gave you were instructions to optimize your pc for best performance and security. You've done the security part - the rest is your choice. That's what going thru the services and defrags is all about.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My New Computer   My New Computer - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

My New Computer
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks :: Windows Computer Help :: Computer Discussion-
Jump to: