Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. SORRY! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REGISTER; YOUR REQUEST WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

My New Computer

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

My New Computer - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My New Computer   My New Computer - Page 4 Empty11/18/2012, 15:43

DVDs would probably work as Fay mentioned, would likely take between 3 and 5, depending on how much occupied space you have on your hard drive. But, everytime you want to backup your system as things change, you'll have to go get more DVDs unless you are satisfied with having the one backup with the system state as it currently is.

Walmart has the external hard drives for <$60. You load the software that comes with it, plug it into a USB port after the software is loaded (instructions are usually given when to do this), and it acts like another drive on your computer where you can backup your data continuously and create images to restore your system. It's no more complicated than using a printer to print documents.
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

Number of posts : 1480
Registration date : 2008-10-17
Mood : none

PostSubject: Re: My New Computer   My New Computer - Page 4 Empty11/18/2012, 17:50

WC

Eventhough we have a WalMart super store = our store does not always carry the best selections. Many times I use Walmart.com to check things out and find out what is available. Don't know if you have used it before, but if you enter your zip code , you can have it show you only those items available in your local store, or also the ones available online.

I only found one under 60.00 carried my our local store. There are others available online and your store may carry different ones. Just as an example here is the one availabe in our stere:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Toshiba-500GB-Automatic-Backup-Portable-Hard-Drive/21094667
I do not know anything about this one so am not suggesting it, jsut showing you and example of what we have here - again, your store may not have this one - may have others.

Fay
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Number of posts : 1165
Humor : Yes
Registration date : 2009-10-26

PostSubject: Re: My New Computer   My New Computer - Page 4 Empty11/19/2012, 16:01

1) Might consider the hard drive. After you load the software that comes with it, & plug it into a USB port after the software is loaded and it acts like another drive on your computer where you can backup your data continuously and create images to restore your system. Ok, but do you have to do all this backing up your data continuously and creating images to restore your system, manually, or is it done automatically for you?

2) I've been googling & yahooing some of the candidates for removal that you listed but without very satisfactory results. What do you type into the search box, in order to get better results, when you are searching something such as these removal items?

3) We use coupons, what's the downside to keeping & using Coupon Printer for Windows? I guess I'm not understanding the conflict you mention about the first response & last response.? Can you expand for my blind eyes?

4) I removed a lot of the HP stuff that you listed, but one item, HP Odometer when I clicked on it, I was not given the Uininstall/Change option to click on in order to remove it? How can I remove it?
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: My New Computer   My New Computer - Page 4 Empty11/19/2012, 16:52

wcturner wrote:
1) Might consider the hard drive. After you load the software that comes with it, & plug it into a USB port after the software is loaded and it acts like another drive on your computer where you can backup your data continuously and create images to restore your system. Ok, but do you have to do all this backing up your data continuously and creating images to restore your system, manually, or is it done automatically for you?

Usually automatic - you set up the folders containing the files you want to back up and set a schedule for how often you want to do the backup (daily, weekly, etc at a certain time of day) and it will do it for you without your intervention. Will usually only backup changes made from one backup to the next. Check the online documentation for the unit you want to buy to be sure before getting the unit. Seagate One Touch is one that will do all that for you and the setup is not complicated. Don't know about other brands, but Western Digital should have something similar, and probably that Toshiba one Fay mentioned as well.

2) I've been googling & yahooing some of the candidates for removal that you listed but without very satisfactory results. What do you type into the search box, in order to get better results, when you are searching something such as these removal items?

Just type in the name of the application, or "what is ________". Not all will give good results. That's how I came up with the list I gave you.

3) We use coupons, what's the downside to keeping & using Coupon Printer for Windows? I guess I'm not understanding the conflict you mention about the first response & last response.? Can you expand for my blind eyes?

One says the one on your machine is safe, the other questions whether or not it is safe. I don't trust any of them - most download with spyware. Prefer to cut them out of a newspaper or magazine.

4) I removed a lot of the HP stuff that you listed, but one item, HP Odometer when I clicked on it, I was not given the Uininstall/Change option to click on in order to remove it? How can I remove it?

There is an Uninstall/Change option at the top of the page to click on after highlighting the application in the list.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: My New Computer   My New Computer - Page 4 Empty11/19/2012, 17:11

There is an Uninstall/Change option at the top of the page to click on after highlighting the application in the list.

I know it is supposed to be. But, with HP Odometer, that option is not there, for some reason? All the others that I removed had the Uninstall/Change option. You ever hear of that before?
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

PostSubject: Re: My New Computer   My New Computer - Page 4 Empty11/19/2012, 19:38

WC

I have an HP computer so I checked on my computer. It did not have the uninstall option either for HP Odometer.

I did some google research and found a link talking about HP Odometer on the HP web site.
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-e-g/HP-Odometer/td-p/94047

It gives a bit of infromation on what it is and at the bottom of the 1st page it there are instuctions for modifying the registery so that you would have the uninstall option.

I tried it on my comuter and it did give me the uninstall options, I did not actually uninstall, just saw that after I made the change it did give me the option.
I don't know if you want to mess with the registery or not. You might see what Repa has to say about it.

Fay
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: My New Computer   My New Computer - Page 4 Empty11/19/2012, 20:12

We getting ahead here again......

1) I have too much trouble with the simple things, I don't want to mess with the registry.

2) Hey Repa, I found this while searching some of the candidates for removal.
VirusTotal - Free Online Virus, Malware and URL Scanner , you heard of this, good, no good, ?? I did not visit the site, cause I'm not sure, unless you think it is Safe & trust worthy.???

3) Edit: I forgot to post this screenshot of problem uninstalling HP Calendar. It is a problem also, I think there was another small window that came up before this one, but, didn't think to screnshot it. Lot of this HP stuff , I don't think they want you to uninstall it..??

My New Computer - Page 4 Hp_cal10
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: My New Computer   My New Computer - Page 4 Empty11/19/2012, 20:34

wcturner wrote:
We getting ahead here again......

1) I have too much trouble with the simple things, I don't want to mess with the registry.

2) Hey Repa, I found this while searching some of the candidates for removal.

VirusTotal - Free Online Virus, Malware and URL Scanner , you heard of this, good, no good, ?? I did not visit the site, cause I'm not sure, unless you think it is Safe & trust worthy.???

HP Odometer is not hurting anything, just leave it alone. I remove stuff that I'm not going to use, and if it won't uninstall, I just delete the program folder and then go through the registry manually and clean it up. I don't suggest you do that.

Do not mess with VirusTotal. You have to download an uploader and it only does one file at a time that you send to them, so you have to pick what file it scans, and the upload is limited to files of 20MB or less. You have all the protection you need on your system without it.

Just do what the pop-up says to complete the uninstall. The right option is selected, just click ok.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: My New Computer   My New Computer - Page 4 Empty11/20/2012, 19:38

i did what you said & deleted the hp calendar.
got a screenshot for you about when i was uninstalling hp notes

My New Computer - Page 4 Hp_not10

i don't know what this means, because it is not in the list anymore, & as you see it says it is uninstalled. look at the bottom of the shot at the help & support links, when i would click on them to see what would happen, it would just bring up the window about the error.

does this mean anything?
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: My New Computer   My New Computer - Page 4 Empty11/20/2012, 21:09

Looks like it's gone. You should be ok.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: My New Computer   My New Computer - Page 4 Empty11/21/2012, 02:17

Repa,
Would you know how to attach a screenshot into an email? I've got both yahoo & gmail. I couldn't find info at yahoo. I forgot to look at gmail.

Edit: I think i can do it in gmail. I didn' find any way in yahoo yet.

I probably should have posted this into a new thread. Repa, if you think I should let me know &I'll try it?
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

PostSubject: Re: My New Computer   My New Computer - Page 4 Empty11/21/2012, 10:55

I think thre are different ways to set up the yahoo email screen, so not sure if your looks like mine, but I can tell you how I do in in Yahoo e-mail.

Go to compose message.
Below the boxes for TO, CC, SUBJECT you should have some tabs:
Attachments, emoticons, fromat
Click on the one for Attachments.
Click on Attach Files
Find the file you want to attach, hightlight it and click ok, or hightligh it and double click.
Whent you get mack to your compose screen - the file name should appear below the ATTACH FILES.

Fay
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: My New Computer   My New Computer - Page 4 Empty11/21/2012, 13:10

I did try that before I posted but, i was in a hurry, & I need to try again.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: My New Computer   My New Computer - Page 4 Empty11/21/2012, 13:19

1) Repa, I'll post this now while I'm thinking of it. I had a little white flag on task bar from HP, it was 2 messages. One was that I was missing a driver for my printer so i called myself installing it. The 2 following screenshots show the 2 messages still in the flag on the task bar.

My New Computer - Page 4 Hp_dri10

My New Computer - Page 4 Hp_ins10

2) Keep in mind these screenshots show the messages after I thought I had installed the driver. Do you have any ideas if I actually got the driver installed or not?

3) edit: Is that backup mentioned in the first picture what you had mentioned before?
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

PostSubject: Re: My New Computer   My New Computer - Page 4 Empty11/21/2012, 13:48

wc,

That method inserts an attachment, it does not put the image into the body of the e-mail where you can see it. I sent it to my other e-mail and could see a small image there though.

I found a link about inserting the image iteself, , but the mehod they gave did not work for me. I'll do some more seraching later in case Repa does not know how to do it. I'll check back later.

EDIT:
It is beginning to look like that if you want to show the image in the body of the yahoo email that you will have to upload it to a webhosting site first. Several links I have found state that for yahoo you have to do that. You can thought send it as an atahcment wihtout having to do that, using the method I posted above.

Fay

Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: My New Computer   My New Computer - Page 4 Empty11/21/2012, 20:39

wcturner wrote:
1) Repa, I'll post this now while I'm thinking of it. I had a little white flag on task bar from HP, it was 2 messages. One was that I was missing a driver for my printer so i called myself installing it. The 2 following screenshots show the 2 messages still in the flag on the task bar.

My New Computer - Page 4 Hp_dri10

My New Computer - Page 4 Hp_ins10

2) Keep in mind these screenshots show the messages after I thought I had installed the driver. Do you have any ideas if I actually got the driver installed or not?

3) edit: Is that backup mentioned in the first picture what you had mentioned before?

Go to Windows update and see if the driver is there or not. If it is, you haven't installed it.

That is the backup I was talking about before.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: My New Computer   My New Computer - Page 4 Empty11/23/2012, 16:09

Go to Windows update and see if the driver is there or not. If it is, you haven't installed it. This is a driver for my HP printer, that would not be in Windows update , would it?
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: My New Computer   My New Computer - Page 4 Empty11/23/2012, 22:21

wcturner wrote:
Go to Windows update and see if the driver is there or not. If it is, you haven't installed it. This is a driver for my HP printer, that would not be in Windows update , would it?

It certainly could be an optional update from Windows, but probably not since it didn't say Windows Update - I wasn't thinking. If you have the HP Support Center active, it's probably from there. I think you would check there to see what updates are still available from HP, and if the printer driver is still available, then it obviously didn't install.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: My New Computer   My New Computer - Page 4 Empty11/24/2012, 01:46

1) I managed to find my way to HP System Support>System Information>Software Environment>System Drivers. The problem is that I don't really know what I'm looking for. I didn't see anything that said anything about drivers or printer driver.? And, I don't have an identifying number or anything that would tell me what "Printer Driver" that I tried to install the other day.?

2) Ok, I just went to HP Help & Support to try to find some info about drivers, where to find them. I got a couple screen shots that made me think that maybe the printer drivers might be from Windows Update, and there was a suggestion to turn on Automatic Updates even for the "Optional" updates. I guess that way I would at least get the updates that I need without having to try to decide what I need or don't need.

3) I also saw a suggestion to set up Hp to download and install whatever becomes available, I guess such as drivers, etc. What do you think about that? I'm thinking for me that might be a good option on all the HP Support stuff, & HP Support Assistant? What say you? You know I do not like computer maintenance.

4) BTW, I've got a HP USB Flash Drive, 4 GB, v125w. I was wondering if my "System Backup" could go on these things?

5) And, please tell me if these screen shots tell you anything?

My New Computer - Page 4 Win_sy10

My New Computer - Page 4 Auto_u10
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: My New Computer   My New Computer - Page 4 Empty11/24/2012, 12:43

wcturner wrote:

3) I also saw a suggestion to set up Hp to download and install whatever becomes available, I guess such as drivers, etc. What do you think about that? I'm thinking for me that might be a good option on all the HP Support stuff, & HP Support Assistant? What say you? You know I do not like computer maintenance.

For you, it might be ok. Windows updates, even optional updates would be ok. I would worry about what HP might include in addition to hardware and existing software, but if you keep an eye on your Programs and Features list and make sure they don't include any games or bloatware, it should be ok. Make screen shots of what's there after you complete your setup so you can compare after each HP download what is there and that no "surprises" were included.

4) BTW, I've got a HP USB Flash Drive, 4 GB, v125w. I was wondering if my "System Backup" could go on these things?

No,your flash drive is not even as big as one DVD. To create a system image, you will need 12 -15GB minimum. You can use a USB flash drive that is NTFS formatted if your system gives you the option to use it. Yours is way too small and probably isn’t NTFS formatted – most are FAT32 formatted but can be reformatted to NTFS and you can also buy them formatted as NTFS. The flash drive should be at least 32GB in size if you are going to use one. I do not advice using a flash drive for an image of your system, however using a flash drive to backup individual image and document files using drag and drop, is fine, and if you have less than 4GB total to transfer, you could use the flash drive you have for that instead of a CD or DVD. Read these 2 articles for rather good explanations of how to use Windows 7 Backup:

http://lifehacker.com/5144757/first-look-at-windows-7s-backup-and-restore-center

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-back-up-documents-and-photos-in-windows-70.html

and go get yourself an external hard drive to backup an image of your system. BTW, you also need to create a Repair DVD in addition to the Image backup - you have an option to select to do that from the Backup and Recovery screen.

5) And, please tell me if these screen shots tell you anything?

My New Computer - Page 4 Win_sy10

You can do this update but I would not include the Bing thing.

My New Computer - Page 4 Auto_u10

If your printer is working properly, don’t worry about the driver. I rarely update drivers unless things aren’t working as they should be. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!

Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

PostSubject: Re: My New Computer   My New Computer - Page 4 Empty11/24/2012, 14:08

Just some notes on what I do for backup.

I have both an external hard drive, actually 2 just happend that way, I already had one then I got a $50.00 disount on one from HP because they were a little late with delivering my computer I ordered directly from them. I also have 3 flash drives I use for different purposes.

I created the initial repair disk on DVD - not sure why I used DVD instead of CD for this. I created the initial recovery disk set on DVD. For me it took 3 DVDs.

After I got everythng installed and configured like I wanted it - I created a system image on my external hard drive. I try to do this again anytime I make many changes to the system - installing new programs etc - I do not do it when just changing data - but could. But that is just me, I change things frequently and want a fairly current image. WC you might ask Repa if he thinks you will need to do the system image more than once, you might not need too. SInce you usually check with him before making changes , I am sure he can tell you at that time if he thinks you should create a new image.

I also have backups for just my data. Maybe I go a bit overboad on this. I have backups on my external drive. Then also, my most important data, I backup to a 4GB flash drive. I do not have a lot of pictures stored on my comptuer and it all fits. If I add a bunch of large files like picutres later, I will likely need a little bit larger flash dirive. My intent is to keep my persoanl stuff backed up on the external hard drive, then periodically back it up to my flash drive and put the flash drive in my firebox. That way hopefully I will not loose all my data if something major happens. But I have been lax on the actual doing of that. One of my former co-workers considered some of her data so important, she put it on a flashdirve, but the flashdrive on a chain and wore arund her neck. I don't do that.

If I had major problem and had to complety restore, would first restore the internal hard drive with the system image, then copy back my data from my data backup. WOuld not have to reinstall or reconfigure anything.

Fay

Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: My New Computer   My New Computer - Page 4 Empty12/14/2012, 15:43

Hey Repa,
I decided to swap back to this thread, since we began with this one.

Just finished the Win. Updates except for the IE9 of course, & I didn't get the Framework3 one.

Hope to finish up now with the backups.
Thanks

Edit: 15:31 Just finished system image. I was not asked this time about creating a boot disk, although, I didn't sit & watch the whole process, but, I checked it regular basis. I had planned to make an extra, But, I've still got the first one I made, so, I assume that's all that matters.

Guess I'll go "Hang 10" now. I don't know how to act!

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: My New Computer   My New Computer - Page 4 Empty12/14/2012, 18:12

ok
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My New Computer   My New Computer - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

My New Computer
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks :: Windows Computer Help :: Computer Discussion-
Jump to: