Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. SORRY! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REGISTER; YOUR REQUEST WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Avast Webrap

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Number of posts : 1165
Humor : Yes
Registration date : 2009-10-26

Avast Webrap Empty
PostSubject: Avast Webrap   Avast Webrap Empty11/18/2013, 01:50

Repa,
1. I looked in IE and Webrap is not there anymore.....I wanted to be sure it was enabled, how would I get it back in IE?

2. Also, how would I enable it inn Firefox?....

Thanks.....
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Avast Webrap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Avast Webrap   Avast Webrap Empty11/19/2013, 02:00

Does Webrep show as being installed in Avast? - Open Avast > Additional Protection > Browsers

Does Webrep show as being enabled in Avast - Open Avast > Additional Protection > Browsers > Settings

If checking the above doesn't solve the problem, what version of Avast are you using? Was it there when you first installed the latest version you now have? Dis you check the option "All Addons" in your IE Browser to see if it was there?

Webrep should show up in Firefox in Tools > Add-ons > Extensions
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Avast Webrap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Avast Webrap   Avast Webrap Empty11/19/2013, 18:19

Repa wrote:
Does Webrep show as being installed in Avast? - Open Avast > Additional Protection > Browsers   When I open Avast I can't find Open Avast > Additional Protection >Browsers

Does Webrep show as being enabled in Avast - Open Avast > Additional Protection > Browsers > Settings   I don't see any of that either, so I don't know if webrep is enabled

If checking the above doesn't solve the problem, what version of Avast are you using? Ver. 2014.9.0.2006

Was it there when you first installed the latest version you now have?  Don't know....    Avast Webrap Avast_12

Dis you check the option "All Addons" in your IE Browser to see if it was there? See Screenshot     Avast Webrap Ie_add10

Webrep should show up in Firefox in  Tools > Add-ons > Extensions
   Avast Webrap Avast_13

A.    I SHOULD ALSO MENTION that Avast is only updating about once per day recently....you can see in the above screenshot that it has not updated since yesterday, & in the screenshot, it also shows that Avast has a new version available..... this same scenario was happening with my old version, it was not updating correctly, & that's why I've got this newer version now.....Avast has always updated 2 to 3 times per 24 hour period.   Do you know why this is happening & what I should do to correct the updates???

Thanks.....
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

Number of posts : 1480
Registration date : 2008-10-17
Mood : none

Avast Webrap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Avast Webrap   Avast Webrap Empty11/19/2013, 19:04

WC,

I think the interface may have changed.  I had a bit of a hard time finding it too.

Here where I found it
  in the upper  it says
        Account  Settings

(looks like yours is a little different -looks like there is a Settings on the left -try clicking on that)

Click on Settings
then over on the left click:  Web Rep and  Antiphising

Hope this helps on that part
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Avast Webrap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Avast Webrap   Avast Webrap Empty11/19/2013, 20:06

wcturner wrote:
   I SHOULD ALSO MENTION that Avast is only updating about once per day recently....you can see in the above screenshot that it has not updated since yesterday, & in the screenshot, it also shows that Avast has a new version available..... this same scenario was happening with my old version, it was not updating correctly, & that's why I've got this newer version now.....Avast has always updated 2 to 3 times per 24 hour period.   Do you know why this is happening & what I should do to correct the updates???
I don't know where stuff is in your version, but check Fay's post for help on that. Avast updates as often as you tell it to - Maintenance > Update >Updates > Settings (top of page) > look under Details > Autoupdate Interval and set it to whatever you want - I have it set to 240 minutes (4 hours)

If you can't find something in Avast, start looking thru the Avast menus to find it. You can also get plenty of help: click Support in the left column and you'll see links to download the user manual, FAQs, Tech support, Forum help, and even 24/7 free phone help.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Avast Webrap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Avast Webrap   Avast Webrap Empty11/20/2013, 00:28

fay47 wrote:
WC,

I think the interface may have changed.  I had a bit of a hard time finding it too.

Here where I found it
  in the upper  it says
        Account  Settings

(looks like yours is a little different -looks like there is a Settings on the left -try clicking on that)

Click on Settings
then over on the left click:  Web Rep and  Antiphising

Hope this helps on that part
Fay,
1. This is the version I have:   Ver. 2014.9.0.2006

2.  Which version do you have?

3. I've looked all over my version, & haven't seen anything like you describe....I think your version might be different.   I'll try again to find what you said, possible I overlooked......

4. Can you make me a screenshot that shows the Heading, so I'll know where to look?.....
Thanks....

Last edited by wcturner on 11/20/2013, 01:47; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Avast Webrap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Avast Webrap   Avast Webrap Empty11/20/2013, 00:47

Repa said: Avast updates as often as you tell it to - Maintenance > Update >Updates > Settings (top of page) > look under Details > Auto update l and set it to whatever you want - I have it set to 240 minutes (4 hours)  
1.  Mine used to be set at 240 minutes Auto update  Interval, like yours but I changed mine to 60 minutes....I thought that might be better?......Not sure if I understand it but, I don't guess it makes any difference how long or short the intervals are if there is no updates available.....but I don't understand nearly as well as you do....

2.  Did you look at my first screenshot above that shows "Update" "Virus Definitions" & "Program"?  If you look it shows that I've still got the same "Virus Definitions" as I had yesterday....It shows "Current Version" 131118-1, that has not been updated since yesterday, Mon. 11/18/13....It also shows " Latest Update Received....Now, does that mean I receive other "Updates" besides the "Current Version" of "Virus Definitions"?.....So, I hope you know the answer, because I do not know that?  

3.  You need to look at my #3 screenshot that shows my Firefox Extensions,  See where it says in the Avast line that Firefox has a WebRep plugin....at least I think that's the meaning?....But, I disabled it because of the Security Browser problem, Remember?Wait, I just looked at it again, it's enabled, is it not?....And, You say?   Thanks
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

Avast Webrap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Avast Webrap   Avast Webrap Empty11/20/2013, 04:50

WC,

I had an older version of AVAST and decided to update the program.  I might not should have done that   LOL.   it looks way different than what my old one.   I now have version 2014.9.0.2008.  Don't really feel like messing with it much right now.

They were having so many problems reported with Web Rep they may have changed it.

On your first screen shot  over on the left - there is something called active  protection.  If I click on Active Protection on mine it shows
File System Shield
Mail Shield
Web Shield
But I don't think the Web Shield is the same thing as WebRep.

I tried to do a quick google search and found one link where someone asked what happened to webrep in 2014 version of AVAST. No one had answered the post.

Guess this will take a little more research.

Fay

Fay
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Avast Webrap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Avast Webrap   Avast Webrap Empty11/20/2013, 10:52

wcturner wrote:
1.  Mine used to be set at 240 minutes Auto update  Interval, like yours but I changed mine to 60 minutes....I thought that might be better?......Not sure if I understand it but, I don't guess it makes any difference how long or short the intervals are if there is no updates available.....but I don't understand nearly as well as you do....
2. Did you look at my first screenshot above that shows "Update" "Virus Definitions" & "Program"? If you look it shows that I've still got the same "Virus Definitions" as I had yesterday....It shows "Current Version" 131118-1, that has not been updated since yesterday, Mon. 11/18/13....It also shows " Latest Update Received....Now, does that mean I receive other "Updates" besides the "Current Version" of "Virus Definitions"?.....So, I hope you know the answer, because I do not know that?

Yea, you can update every hour, but if the update isn't there, the virus definitions don't get updated. Mine looks every 6hrs and usually actually gets an update a couple of times a day. They may have cut back on the number of times they produce those updates, I don't know. There is this "cloud services " thing now that provides updates in realtime in addition to the normal updates.

3.  You need to look at my #3 screenshot that shows my Firefox Extensions,  See where it says in the Avast line that Firefox has a WebRep plugin....at least I think that's the meaning?....But, I disabled it because of the Security Browser problem, Remember?Wait, I just looked at it again, it's enabled, is it not?....And, You say?   Thanks
It's enabled and must be the new service that is provided with the version you have that gives some sort of browser protection in addition to reputation services. Must be a replacement for Webrep with other features to help protect the browser from bad sites. Go to the Avast website to read about it if you want to know what it does, or check out their forum. I'm sticking with Avast 7 until it won't update the virus definitions anymore. That's how they usually eventually force you to go to the latest version available.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Avast Webrap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Avast Webrap   Avast Webrap Empty11/20/2013, 15:07

Fay, yeah, you've got a newer version than I do, I'll try to check mine closer....thanks

I'm gonna try those links you posted about the older versions of Avast & see if I can get version 7 back....I try to keep the same setup that you have......I feel it is easier for you to help troubleshoot that way...Thanks!.....Didn't you say you are not sure if one can return to version or not???
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

Avast Webrap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Avast Webrap   Avast Webrap Empty11/20/2013, 16:06

Hmmm ,   I am not sure the option to choose firefox/ie for webrep is in avast anymore.
I have done some googling

My search returned a list  that contained one link that had this below it.
Quote :
In avast8, you could install/uninstall WebRep from within the avast User Interface. In avast 2014, the plug-in is automatically installed into IE and FF.
It was underv this link:  en.community.dell.com/support-forums/virus.../f/.../t/19528216.aspx‎

But when I went to that link, I could not find that statement.
I do not  know if the Web Shield has anything to do with it - again not sure.
It may be that Avast automatically makes them available for FF and IE and that you have to go to the browser to enable or disable

On IE it looks like the indicator that tell if it is a good site or not is on its on tool bar over on the left. But on FIREFOX, it looks like it is on the right of another bar - I did not think it was there ate first.

Fay
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Avast Webrap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Avast Webrap   Avast Webrap Empty11/20/2013, 18:48

WC, you can always go back to a previous version. You just have to clean out all of the current version and I think I told you previously how to do that.

Here's a link that gives a pretty good review of Avast 2014. There are also user reviews/comments below the main article. One comment in particular stuck out to me:

Until they correct the many bugs, most notably in the firewall, network connections, browser freezing/crashing and safezone Borg-like take overs of your screen I'd advise to stay with version 8 until they finish cleaning up the mess they've released at this time. They make good software but this version needs a little more time in the oven.

One of the reasons why I'm still on Avast 7. There were also problems with Avast 8 and I decided not to find out what they were on my machines.

Avast 7 has blocked  a couple of threats for me when I least expected it and does not take a lot of resources to protect your computer, thus not slowing it down like some paid versions (notably Norton) do. I usually run a check with SiteAdvisor and also look at what Webrep tells me (when it does) about a new site I want to investigate before I go to it - that along with Avast is the best way to stay free of malware from risky and malicious sites when you aren't sure or don't know about reputation of the site.
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

Avast Webrap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Avast Webrap   Avast Webrap Empty11/20/2013, 20:07

Repa,

Where is the link?

Fay
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

Avast Webrap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Avast Webrap   Avast Webrap Empty11/20/2013, 23:49

I am disabling avast addon (webrep) in both browsers. Depending on what I am doing, I have had it slow both browsers down way too much.

Fay
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Avast Webrap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Avast Webrap   Avast Webrap Empty11/21/2013, 00:01

I don't know (lol), I'll have to find it again, sorry! Embarassed 

Ah, here it is:

http://www.softpedia.com/reviews/windows/Avast-Free-Antivirus-2014-Review-391493.shtml
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

Avast Webrap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Avast Webrap   Avast Webrap Empty11/21/2013, 00:36

Repa,

Thanks for the link.

Fay
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Avast Webrap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Avast Webrap   Avast Webrap Empty11/21/2013, 01:02

Fay said:  File System Shield
Mail Shield
Web Shield
But I don't think the Web Shield is the same thing as WebRep.   Fay, No that is not the same....

Repa said: WC, you can always go back to a previous version. You just have to clean out all of the current version and I think I told you previously how to do that.      Well that settles it, I'm going back to Avast 7.    I hope I can find ur previous instructions on how to get rid of all of this 2014 version....oops, I thought the instructions were in this thread but, no that would be 2 easy.....if u know where they are I'd appreciate you telling me?    But, I'm thinking all I have to do is >Prog&features>Uninstall>then install Ver. 7 and that's it, Correct????    Dang, I've also got to find where those links for the older versions of Avast are located that you posted....If anyone knows please let me know, maybe I can find them...... Thanks.... EDIT: I think I found instructions Posted by Repa in my Thread "Firefox Browser" on Page 2 posted on Fri. 8 Nov @ 8:33......Is that the instructions you referred to, Repa???

Last edited by wcturner on 11/21/2013, 01:29; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

Avast Webrap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Avast Webrap   Avast Webrap Empty11/21/2013, 01:24

wc,

I think what I finally found was that in 2014 you do not set weprep from within AVAST, it is installed automatically then you go to each browser to enable or disable.

Fay
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Avast Webrap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Avast Webrap   Avast Webrap Empty11/21/2013, 01:31

Repa Please look at my post I left at 23:02......

fay47 wrote:
wc,

I think what I finally found was that in 2014 you do not set weprep from within AVAST, it is installed automatically then you go to each browser  to enable or disable.

Fay
  Well, as I said I'm gonna go back to V 7 as fast as I can!!.......thanks
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Avast Webrap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Avast Webrap   Avast Webrap Empty11/21/2013, 01:43

Repa please read my 23:02 post and I went to filhippo from this link following: http://www.filehippo.com/download_avast_antivirus/4903/
& I didn't see Avast 7....... do you have a direct link for Avast 7 version that you have?

Thanks...
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Avast Webrap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Avast Webrap   Avast Webrap Empty11/21/2013, 09:41

You have to allow filehippo.com in NoScript to see it. It is in a list in the right column on that page.

After you uninstall Avast, make sure the Avast folder "Avast Software" in Program Files is deleted, and if it's not, delete it before installing the old version.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Avast Webrap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Avast Webrap   Avast Webrap Empty11/21/2013, 11:48

1.  I saw several versions of Avast 7, can you post the version number of yours please?

2.  Don't I need to uninstall my current version before going back to V 7?

3. Repa said:  After you uninstall Avast, make sure the Avast folder "Avast Software" in Program Files is deleted, and if it's not, delete it before installing the old version.     What happens if I failed to delete the Avast folder "Avast Software" in Program Files???   When I upgraded to any other versions I did not delete Avast folder??
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Avast Webrap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Avast Webrap   Avast Webrap Empty11/21/2013, 16:50

I don't know what will happen if you don't delete the folder. If anything remains in the way of settings or application modules from the new version, it could be incompatible with the old version and make it not work correctly, or not work at all. You are not upgrading, you are downgrading. Upgrades have backward compatibility; older versions do not necessarily - and usually don't - have forward compatibility. You need to make sure everything from the new version is gone, and uninstalling avast from Programs and Features may or may not do that - it depends on how thorough the uninstaller avast furnishes with the install is. Not everything always gets deleted.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Avast Webrap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Avast Webrap   Avast Webrap Empty11/21/2013, 17:09

Repa wrote:

I don't know what will happen if you don't delete the folder. If anything remains in the way of settings or application modules from the new version, it could be incompatible with the old version and make it not work correctly, or not work at all. You are not upgrading, you are downgrading. Upgrades have backward compatibility; older versions do not necessarily - and usually don't - have forward compatibility. You need to make sure everything from the new version is gone, and uninstalling avast from Programs and Features may or may not do that - it depends on how thorough the uninstaller avast furnishes with the install is. Not everything always gets deleted.
      You did not answer this:   But, I need to uninstall 2014 version, delete that file folder, & do all that stuff before I install Version 7?....And, you still did not post the Version number of 7 that you have , so I can find it?????....thanks... WHOOPS, I just saw it at the top V. 7.0.1466  
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Avast Webrap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Avast Webrap   Avast Webrap Empty11/22/2013, 00:13

Please tell me if this is the correct path to take for returning to Avast Version 7.0.1466>Uninstall Avast from Programs and Features> Delete the Avast folder "Avast Software" in Program Files(Which I've already looked for & found)>Go to  http://www.filehippo.com/download_avast_antivirus/4903/ & Download Avast Version 7.0.1466>then Install it>DONE.......Did I leave anything out?.......

2. Question: Here's the link for Avast 7.0.1466 http://www.filehippo.com/download_avast_antivirus/13108/

Now on that page, Do I click on the right side of the page that says Download this version 89.32 MB & Click on the Green button for the Download??????
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Avast Webrap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Avast Webrap   Avast Webrap Empty

Back to top Go down

Avast Webrap
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks :: Windows Computer Help :: Computer Security-
Jump to: