Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. SORRY! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REGISTER; YOUR REQUEST WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Avast Webrap

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Avast Webrap - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Avast Webrap   Avast Webrap - Page 2 Empty11/22/2013, 12:04

Yes to all the above. You left nothing out.
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

Number of posts : 1480
Registration date : 2008-10-17
Mood : none

PostSubject: Re: Avast Webrap   Avast Webrap - Page 2 Empty11/23/2013, 02:12

Repa,

I thought I might go ahead and go back.  I had trouble getting avast to uninstall and found an uninstall for it.  I downloaded using the method above,  it said it was downloading 7  but when I installed I ended up with 2014 again.  - so do not know what I did wrong.
Too tired to mess with it anymore tonight =  may just keep the 2014

Not sure, but think some of their links may be pointing to the wrong place, but if WC got it to work, gotta be me.

Fay
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Avast Webrap   Avast Webrap - Page 2 Empty11/23/2013, 02:58

Fay, it may have automatically updated the program right after you installed it. There may be a setting to prevent it during the install, but I can't remember if there is a way to set that during the installation or not. I always use the Custom option when installing so I can look to see what it is installing and if it is piggy-backing something I don't want, like Chrome, for instance. It also may give you options about what to do regarding updates, but I can't remember. I know you can prevent it from auto-updating the program from within the main panel itself - Maintenance > Updates > Settings > Updates and select Manual Update under Program. You can check the version of the installation application you downloaded by right-clicking on the file, select Properties > Details and on the Details pane you will find the version of software you have downloaded. If you have the correct version of the installer, you could uninstall and try again, but when you install the old version, have your internet disconnected until you change that setting to Manual Update. I would also search the registry after completing the uninstall for Avast and delete any entries in the registry that you find, as well as the Avast Software folder in C:\Program Files before attempting to reinstall version 7 again. For reference, here is a good explanation of the uninstall process:

http://www.wikihow.com/Uninstall-Avast-Free-Antivirus-2014

there is also an avast utility for doing the uninstall (which is probably what you mentioned that you downloaded), but you have to go to safe mode to use it after it is downloaded. You can download the utility here:

http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

WC, I hope you are paying attention if you have run into problems with uninstalling avast. Not having the 2014 version, I couldn't anticipate any uninstall problems as I haven't run into any problems with past versions of Avast.
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

PostSubject: Re: Avast Webrap   Avast Webrap - Page 2 Empty11/23/2013, 03:51

Repa,

If I click on version 7.0.1.466 it shows file size of 89.32 at thetop.
I click do download and click save
it shows binary file(83.5mb)
from http://files.avast.com

***I did not complete the below download just wanted to see what it said

if I go down and select another version 6.0.1000
at the top it shows file size 59.65 mb
click download
it shows binary file (59.6mb)
http://fs41:filehippo.com
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Number of posts : 1165
Humor : Yes
Registration date : 2009-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Avast Webrap   Avast Webrap - Page 2 Empty11/27/2013, 01:20

Repa said:  WC, I hope you are paying attention if you have run into problems with uninstalling avast. Not having the 2014 version, I couldn't anticipate any uninstall problems as I haven't run into any problems with past versions of Avast.  

Yes, but I need to ask a couple questions:   I haven't had time to do the  uninstall, Install your version 7 yet.
1.   Do I need to do system restore, or won't it do an SR automatically?

2.   I forgot where i saw it but, didn't you tell Fay to go into "Registry" & delete any references to Avast?  

3.  And, Do I need to do that in my Registry also?   I'm not sure I remember how to get into the registry, can you refresh my memory?   Is it hard to find those Avast references in Registry?    I get nervous when you say "Go into Registry, should I be?

4.   I've got some registry items from a good while ago i NEED TO make a screen shot to know what to do with those when I can....?
Thanks, & I want to wish all a Happy Thanksgiving, & God's Blessing to all!!
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Avast Webrap   Avast Webrap - Page 2 Empty11/27/2013, 15:33

WC, you should set a restore point before uninstalling avast so you can get back to that point if you need to. When you uninstall avast 2014, instead of going into Programs and Features, use the utility I mentioned above and you shouldn't have to go into the registry. The utility can be downloaded here:

http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

Be sure you follow the directions given for using the utility on that download page.

You should still check for the C:\Program Files\Avast Software to see if that folder has been deleted and delete it if it has not.

You should not have to go into the registry if you use the utility and it does what it's advertised to do.

Fay indicated a problem with installing the version 7 that she downloaded - that she ended up with Avast 2014 installed again. Not sure why that happened. She indicated that the download size didn't match what was indicated on filehippo.com. I don't know if the installer updated to the latest version while it was installing or not, so you might want to go to an earlier version of 7. Also, that is why I suggested she disconnect from the internet while doing the install, and also, I think, do a reboot after the version 7 install before going back on the internet. Make sure that the settings in avast are such that only the virus definitions are updated automatically, and not the program before connecting to the internet again.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Avast Webrap   Avast Webrap - Page 2 Empty11/27/2013, 15:43

I've been thinking about how to go about this...I'm glad I posted my last question because your reply answered some things I was wondering about how to do. I am hoping I can get the settings changed to "Ask me before updating" so it doesn't update.

Say, for example, if it does update before I can change to manual update, I assume that I would uninstall again, or how would I proceed?
Thanks.....
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Avast Webrap   Avast Webrap - Page 2 Empty11/27/2013, 22:06

No, just disconnect your internet until avast install is completed and you can go check/change the setting: Maintenance > Update > Updates >Settings check Manual update Under Program. Then turn your internet back on.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Avast Webrap   Avast Webrap - Page 2 Empty11/28/2013, 01:33

Thanks Repa, I had forgotten about that little trick!............

Hey Repa, I found the Avast folder "Avast Software" in Program Files, I was thinking about dragging that folder onto my desktop when I begin the uninstall process, what is your opinion about doing that?....would that be a good idea or not?
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Avast Webrap   Avast Webrap - Page 2 Empty11/28/2013, 21:21

Not a good Idea! The uninstaller will be looking for it where it is, not on your desktop. Just uninstall it.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Avast Webrap   Avast Webrap - Page 2 Empty11/28/2013, 23:51

Okay, Thanks........
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Avast Webrap   Avast Webrap - Page 2 Empty11/29/2013, 21:13

A friend just brought me his computer and in trying to install an older version of Avast, it is no longer possible. When I tried it told me that I was trying to install an older version of avast even though I had completely removed avast from his system, and that it would download the lastest version. When I tried to stop it, it failed to use the older modules in the setup application. Thus, I had to let it install 2014 since his older version of avast (v. 5) was corrupt. So, you're going to have to live with Avast 2014 unless I've missed something. If you haven't uninstalled it, don't. If you have, try doing a restore to a day or 2 back and see if you can get it back that way. Otherwise, just download and install 2014.
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

PostSubject: Re: Avast Webrap   Avast Webrap - Page 2 Empty11/29/2013, 23:21

Repa,

I checked the install file I downloaded as you said - and it was version 9 something (which I think is 2014. Maybe filehipo just changed part their links to download the new version since the old one would not work.
I just kind of gave up and decided to stick with the new one unless you came up with something.
For me it did not even try to install the old version -cause it downloaded the new one.

sighhh.

At least I was able to get the old version of SPYBOT
I wish things would not change SO much.
I have one friend that is not on FB and we talk on AIM. When I reinstalled on this computer I hated the new version -really hated it. I was able to find an older version of it to install but do not know how long the older versions of it or SPybot will work.

Fay

Fay
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Avast Webrap   Avast Webrap - Page 2 Empty11/30/2013, 00:47

Repa, thanks for the update...I didn't have a chance to try to install it for various reasons....my plan was to do it in the next few days.....at least I'm glad I waited & saw your post.....Like everything else these days the more they change the worse off we get!......

1. Repa, let me go ahead & ask this question here now....You had told me to always run Ccleaner before running my scans to prevent Avast from saying, at the end of a Quick Scan, "Some Files Could Not Be Scanned". Even though I've been doing that, on several occasions, Avast has still done that, said "Some Files Could Not Be Scanned".....When that happens what should I do, fix, move to chest, etc., or just do nothing as I have been doing? thanks.......
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Avast Webrap   Avast Webrap - Page 2 Empty11/30/2013, 20:52

No, I said to run ccleaner so avast and other scanners don't find tracking cookies. There are some archives and files running that cannot be opende by avast to scan. That's why you do a boot-time scan periodically, so that doesn't happen and most, if not all files get scanned.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Avast Webrap   Avast Webrap - Page 2 Empty12/1/2013, 01:09

I don't expect it to happen anymore,  but if I do happen to receive "Some Files Could Not Be Scanned" again in the future, which Avast menu option box on the detailed report should I check mark:  "Fix automatically, Move to Chest, Repair, Delete, or  Do Nothing" ?

thanks.......
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Avast Webrap   Avast Webrap - Page 2 Empty12/1/2013, 02:09

If files can't be scanned, I don't think there are any options to take any action, only for threats and potential threats. Because avast occasionally finds false positives, I take the action to "Move to Chest" so I can look at it and decide if it's real or not, and if I can't figure it out, send it to Avast for review. Most of the time I can figure it out myself, but there have been a couple of times in the last 5 years or so that I sent a file to avast for verification - each time they were false positives.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Avast Webrap   Avast Webrap - Page 2 Empty12/14/2013, 15:11

Repa,

1. In IE browser, if you right click up at the top of a page opens up the menu bar, favorites bar, etc, do you have the Avast Online Security box check marked?

2. What does Command bar, & Status bar do? Do you have them checked?

3. Do you have "Lock the Toolbars" box checked?
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

PostSubject: Re: Avast Webrap   Avast Webrap - Page 2 Empty12/14/2013, 17:47

wc,

The status bar shows at the bottom
If entabled, it will show some information that might be helpful. For one thing, if you hover the mouse over a link in the page, it will show the url of where that link will actually take you. The link itself might not show the actual address.
Sometime on a secure site it will show a lock but hot always.
Over on the right it shows a magnifying glass and a percentage to allow you to zoom in or out. Might show some other information at times , but not sure.
I like being able to see where a link will take me so I have this one checked.

The command bar will be up at the top, for me it is under the address bar.
It gives you some icons that you can click on instead of having to go thru other menus.
One of the icons is a printer for printing the page. There are other icons also, you can hover
your mouse over them to see what they do.
I do not have this one checked, to me it just waste space, but I am sure some people like it.

I think webrep is now called online security. REPA ,can you verity that? Appears you can either check it here or go to addons and enable it.

When I had IE10, I had to disable it because it was causing huge problems with loading pages. I now have IE11 and have it enabled. It seems to be working ok.

Just thought I would give you a bit of information. Repa can go ahead and respond as to which ones he has turned on and add any additional information that might be helpful.

Fay

Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Avast Webrap   Avast Webrap - Page 2 Empty12/15/2013, 01:41

fay47 wrote:
wc,

The status bar shows at the bottom
If entabled,  it will show some information that might be helpful.  For one thing, if you hover the mouse over a link in the page, it will show the url of where that link will actually take you.
I've got it enabled, but mine shows the url of where that link will actually take you if I have it enabled or NOT.

The link itself might not show the actual address.
Sometime on a secure site it will show a lock but hot always.
Over on the right it shows a magnifying glass and a percentage  to allow you to zoom in or out. Mine shows that also.

Might show some other information at times , but not sure.
I like being able to see where a link will take me so I have this one checked.

The command bar will be up at the top, for me it is under the address bar. If I enable it, it is on the Favorites Bar on the right end, but, I don't need it either, & it appears that is all it does...

It gives you some icons that you can click on instead of having to go thru other menus.
One of the icons is a printer for printing the page.  There are other icons also,  you can hover
your mouse over them to see what they do.
I do not have this one checked, to me it just  waste space, but I am sure some people like it.

I think webrep is now called online security.  REPA ,can you verity that?  Appears you can either check it here or go to addons and enable it. When I posted this question, I was wondering if the "WebRep" or what..?

When I had IE10,  I had to disable it because it was causing huge problems with loading pages.  I now have IE11 and have it enabled.  It seems to be working ok. I think you've only had IE 11 a short time, as I have, so if u have problems maybe u will post them.

Just thought I would give you a bit of information.  Repa can go ahead and respond as to which ones he has turned on and add any additional information that might be  helpful. Yeah, I'm hoping he will respond as to the ones he has enabled or not. Since I try to keep my programs/apps the same as his, is why I'm concerned with his settings...makes it easier for him to help me...as I see it...

Fay

Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Avast Webrap   Avast Webrap - Page 2 Empty12/15/2013, 20:46

I have Menu Bar, Favorites Bar and Status Bar turned on. I use the Favorites bar extensively rather than Favorites. I have most everything turned off except needed addons, running as bare bones as possible without compromising security. I have downloaded and installed the latest Java, but have it disabled in the browsers until needed, then turn it on and back off when through with it.

I put Avast 2014 on 2 friends' computers that I worked on over the past 2 weeks and it seemed to work alright, although I didn't turn on Online Security. I showed them instead how to use SiteAdvisor online rather than downloading it and letting it take resources that slow down the browser. But, I may soon download Avast 2014 on one of my computers and check it out, both with and without Online Security enabled.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Avast Webrap   Avast Webrap - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Avast Webrap
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks :: Windows Computer Help :: Computer Security-
Jump to: