Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. SORRY! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REGISTER; YOUR REQUEST WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Windows 10

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
wwe9112
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Number of posts : 534
Registration date : 2008-10-23
Mood : mellow

Windows 10 Empty
PostSubject: Windows 10   Windows 10 Empty10/5/2014, 15:19

Has anyone tried windows 10 yet? I got installed it on my desktop and have been using it; it's not too bad. I do feel like it is much more "snappy" if you will than windows 8/8.1/update 1/2... My laptop -- which is what I am on most of the time since it's for school work, still is running W8x although after this access class I probably will be going back to linux or something more light until W10 is out.

Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Windows 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windows 10   Windows 10 Empty10/5/2014, 21:50

I haven't tried it Brandon. My nephew has windows 8 and he picked up some bad stuff in a download - the Finewide Toolbar, a browser hijacker that was making it almost impossible for my niece (his wife) to do her college homework assignments on the internet, or anything else for that matter. He brought it to me to fix. I didn't really care for Windows 8, but I guess I could get used to it in time, just like every other Windows OS we've had to upgrade to in the past 14 years. I didn't like the way the desktop or the Start Menu was laid out, in 8, and found it cumbersome to find things at first, but as I said, I could get used to it in time. What specifically do you like about 10 other than it seems to run faster? Have there been any major changes in layout and navigation? What about security - have there been any improvements there?
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

Number of posts : 1480
Registration date : 2008-10-17
Mood : none

Windows 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windows 10   Windows 10 Empty10/11/2014, 14:38

What happened to Windows 9?
Back to top Go down
wwe9112
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Number of posts : 534
Registration date : 2008-10-23
Mood : mellow

Windows 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windows 10   Windows 10 Empty10/12/2014, 22:30

To me, it seems to run much more quickly than Windows 8/8.1(9). There is a start menu. I'll upload an image here in a minute for you all to see. Nothing that I can see by way of security -- it's not really my specialty lol. But the navigation menu is back and you can switch between the Windows 8 style or a mix between Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 menu as you will see here in a moment. Honestly, I have ran into ZERO hiccups in this build. For the Windows 8 that I did the tech preview for, I had all sorts of hiccups so it is leaving me with that warm fuzzy feeling inside.

One feature I do like is the ability to have multiple desktop work areas much like how Linux has been for like 30 years now lol. There is also to be rumors going around that they will add a notification center that will resemble the windows phone. I am thankful for that because sometimes in the Windows 8 notifications they just disappear and I am not always ready for them to go into "incognito" mode. But with what has been said to be coming about, that will be fixed with the new notification center.

Windows 10 Screenshot_1

But there is the new start menu. I do thoroughly believe this will make people more at ease with the Windows going forward. You can have Live Tiles mixed with the Windows 7 style menu.

You can also re-size the menu itself...it's basically a glorified window to be honest with you.

Fay, Windows 9 is considered from what I understand Windows 8.1. They did that because on legacy software, programmers had to add a line of code that would let the program know which version of the software to run or something. Here is one of the lines of code:

Code:
 if (name.startsWith("windows 9")) {
                if (version.startsWith("4.0")) {
                    version = "95";
                } else if (version.startsWith("4.9")) {
                    version = "me";
                } else {
                    assert version.startsWith("4.1");
                    version = "98";

With the way it is structured, if they named it "Windows 9" programs would load the code for Windows 95/8.
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

Number of posts : 1480
Registration date : 2008-10-17
Mood : none

Windows 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windows 10   Windows 10 Empty10/13/2014, 00:41

wwe,

After I posted I did a little looking and found what it said was a rumor about just looking for the 9 in code. I have a hard time believing they would have done that or would not have already addressed it.
Especially because of the y2k mess. I was a programmer and was involved in making changes for the y2k stuff. That was short sided thinking of a lot of us programmers when we wrote code many years ago - trying to save space. Hard to believer that Microsoft would have gotten caught up in that on this -but then who knows.

Sounds like windows 10 might be interesting- hope my win 7 computer will last a while longer though.

Is good to now that you have had good luck with it so far. Keep us posted.

Fay

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Windows 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windows 10   Windows 10 Empty

Back to top Go down

Windows 10
Page 1 of 1