Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. SORRY! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REGISTER; YOUR REQUEST WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Number of posts : 1165
Humor : Yes
Registration date : 2009-10-26

After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload Empty
PostSubject: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload Empty10/12/2011, 03:05

Repa,
Slowly getting things reinstalled.
I got Avast installed as you might've guessed. Have to get used to the computer again, things look different now. I had to figure out how to get "My Download Files" folder reestablished in (C:), since they didn't get it backed up.

But, they did back a folder I didn't have before, & they must have named it "Downloads, and they put it in "My Documents". In that folder is some set ups, such as Ad-Aware, SpywareBlaster, Malwarebytes, I think that's all, with a couple of versions of each, more on that later. I wonder why they said they couldn't back up my Avast, all all the other My Download Files", and they managed to save the ones mentioned.?

Question about Windows Automatic Updates. When I got it back they are enabled. There's a Windows Balloon that said some updates are available.
Do you recommend that I leave Windows Automatic Updates turned on, or Off? I'm not that good at determining which updates to install, using the "Custom" setting. If you remember, just about one year ago, is when I installed those 7 updates, and the problems began. What say you?

Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload Empty10/12/2011, 18:00

In SP3 that Downloads folder is created automatically as part of Windows SP3 for you to store downloads into. It may also be the default download folder in SP3, not sure. I can't remember if it was in SP2, but I'm thinking it may not have been. Sounds like they did backup at least some of what you had in the My Downloads folder into the Downloads folder in your My Documents. Can't say why Avast isn't there too unless you didn't have a copy of the setup application on your computer and just thought you did.

I would suggest you just leave Windows Automatic Updates turned. Then, check your computer carefully right after each update, and if something seems to have gotten messed up, you can do a system restore to the time before the update (Windows creates that restore point for you just before installing the update), and get your computer back to the way it was before doing the update.

Remember that doing a system restore to a time before a problem occurred can fix what's wrong a large percentage of the time. But you need to catch it soon, within the first day or 2 or you're likely to not remember when it happened, what you've done to your computer in the interim, or where you need to go back to.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload Empty10/12/2011, 20:14

Here's a screen shot I did last night, after about the 3rd. time it appeared, after I began getting computer set back up. I hope this is not indicative of something left over from before the hard drive wipe & reload. I sure hope that I didn't go thru the trouble and expense of the wipe & reload for nothing.
After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload Data11
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload Empty10/12/2011, 22:31

wcturner wrote:
Here's a screen shot I did last night, after about the 3rd. time it appeared, after I began getting computer set back up. I hope this is not indicative of something left over from before the hard drive wipe & reload. I sure hope that I didn't go thru the trouble and expense of the wipe & reload for nothing.

No, it's just an annoyance from HP and really crappy design. It is a conflict between your user accounts - you're not in your owner account when this happens, right? or when you switch from one user account to another. Click Start > Startup and delete any shortcuts that are there in all your user accounts. One of the shortcuts there should be the one for Updates from HP.

If that doesn't get rid of it for good, click Start > Run, type msconfig in the text box and click ok. Click the Startup tab and look for something that says something like "Updates from HP" and uncheck the box beside it. Click ok and reboot your computer.

Other suggestions for things you should do as you have time:

Go through Tut#14
Get rid of Wild Tangent in Add/Remove programs if it is there. It usually is on hp machines.
Get your other malware programs installed and run your scans.
Don't forget to download and install Windows Defender from the Microsoft download site (google it) in place of Ad-Aware. If you still want Ad-aware, use it as a scanner only - don't let it start at startup.
Make sure you have Spybot and Spywareblaster installed for the passive protection that they provide while surfing the internet. Do not allow Teatimer to be installed when the Spybot intallation wizard takes you through the installation process. There will be a place for you to deselect it as the wizard progresses through the install.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload Empty10/13/2011, 01:34

1) It is a conflict between your user accounts - you're not in your owner account when this happens, right? or when you switch from one user account to another. Correct, it only appears when I enter into our 2 limited accounts.

2) Wild Tangent was not in Add/Remove, when I looked. I saw Wild Tangent in a folder I think, and there's all the games in the same place, that you helped me remove a while back. Anyway, I can find them again, and I had planned to ask you about getting rid of Wild Tangent, and the other games. I'm not sure if I know how to remove them though.?

3) Along with Avast, I've installed Windows Defender, & Malwarebytes( I used the setup installer from the Downloads folder that the repair guy saved) It is version 1.46.0.0, is that the latest version?
I've also installed SpyWareBlaster from that same folder. I had already pretty much decided that I'd drop Ad-Aware. And, I've also got CCleaner installed. BTW, I saw in CCleaner when I was gonna run it last night, I clicked Tools, and when it opened to Uninstall, all those games, and Wild Tangent was shown there, among a whole lot of other things. And, it asks is there anything you want to remove from your Computer? Would that be an easy way to remove Wild Tangent, and those games?

Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload Empty10/13/2011, 03:04

wcturner wrote:
1) It is a conflict between your user accounts - you're not in your owner account when this happens, right? or when you switch from one user account to another. Correct, it only appears when I enter into our 2 limited accounts.

2) Wild Tangent was not in Add/Remove, when I looked. I saw Wild Tangent in a folder I think, and there's all the games in the same place, that you helped me remove a while back. Anyway, I can find them again, and I had planned to ask you about getting rid of Wild Tangent, and the other games. I'm not sure if I know how to remove them though.?

It's probably packaged in a "Games" folder that has an installer for all the games. Look for something like that in Add/Remove Programs, or you can use ccleaner to remove them, but check Add/Remove Programs first. In ccleaner, click the "Run Uninstaller" button after selecting what you want to uninstall. If the entry remains in the table in ccleaner after the uninstall wizard is complete, use the "Delete Entry" button to remove the entry.

3) Along with Avast, I've installed Windows Defender, & Malwarebytes( I used the setup installer from the Downloads folder that the repair guy saved) It is version 1.46.0.0, is that the latest version?
I've also installed SpyWareBlaster from that same folder. I had already pretty much decided that I'd drop Ad-Aware. And, I've also got CCleaner installed. BTW, I saw in CCleaner when I was gonna run it last night, I clicked Tools, and when it opened to Uninstall, all those games, and Wild Tangent was shown there, among a whole lot of other things. And, it asks is there anything you want to remove from your Computer? Would that be an easy way to remove Wild Tangent, and those games?

Yes, should work fine, but I'd use the Add/Remove Programs for those that can be found there, and then ccleaner for those that don't appear in that table. See my comment to your 2) above.

Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload Empty10/13/2011, 23:26

I've got firefox back now, and I've got another screenshot for you when I get a chance. I'll be forever getting all this stuff done. It's so time consuming, for me anyway.

But, now, I went to majorgeeks for a spybot download, and it was old. Then I went to safer-networking & it redirected me. So, can you provide me a safe link to install, the newest version of Spybot? I guess I need the newest version, correct, or your suggestion?

I'd appreciate a link for superantispyware also if you've got it.
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload Empty10/14/2011, 01:48

Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload Empty10/14/2011, 15:35

[url=https://servimg.com/view/1343/32
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload Empty10/14/2011, 15:49

I'll try this again. How do I post more than i scr shot at a time?

After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload Spware13
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload Empty10/14/2011, 15:55

It keeps uploading the same scr. shot as the above. I'll try again in another browser.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload Empty10/14/2011, 16:05

After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload Found_17

1) Finally got it. I guess it must be me, but, for some reason, most of the time, the post of scr. shots don't go according to directions. Can you post the links for making a scr. shot, and for posting it here?

2) When posting scr. shot & you get to thumbnail, & click Copy, do you then manually in the text box paste it there? Because, that's what I'm having to do. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. Any way here's the other thing I was telling you about. I don''t know what they mean exactly.?

Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload Empty10/14/2011, 20:09

I expect you were in one of your limited user accounts when you were doing the SpywareBlaster update. Do all updates to all applications in your Owner account.

I have no idea what hardware device the second Screen Print is referring to. What devices have you got on your computer? Had you just plugged in something like your printer, or something else? What were you doing when you got this notice? To add hardware to your computer, you must be in the Owner account when you do it. If you have software that has to be installed for any devices, you need to do that in the Owner account. Use the limited accounts for browsing the internet only.

You have to manually paste the copy of the thumbprint into the text box. You can only process one screen print at a time.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload Empty10/14/2011, 21:19

Repa wrote:
I expect you were in one of your limited user accounts when you were doing the SpywareBlaster update. YES

Do all updates to all applications in your Owner account. I must have misunderstood you way back when we talked about those application updates. Here's how I thought I was supposed to do the updates. First I do them in my OWNER account. Then I thought I had to do them in both my limited accounts also. So, I switch my limited accounts over to Administrative privileges, and then do the updates, and then have to switch them back to my Limited accounts. So, I hope, that you are saying that I only have to do the updates in the OWNER account, and that will cover my limited accounts also.?

I have no idea what hardware device the second Screen Print is referring to. I think might have seen something about HP. I've been switching back and forth to all 3 accounts checking things out, and all, that I can't always remember all the details. Especially when I don't expect something to pop up out of the blue.

What devices have you got on your computer? Had you just plugged in something like your printer, or something else? What were you doing when you got this notice? To add hardware to your computer, you must be in the Owner account when you do it. If you have software that has to be installed for any devices, you need to do that in the Owner account. Use the limited accounts for browsing the internet only.
There's been a lot of HP things popping up since I got my computer back, and, I'll ask you what I need to do about them later. You mentioned printer, & I was reminded that last night I had to Run the Printer Software CD, to get it to print again, after the wipe. And, at the finish of that software, it said that my printer was not detected, & gave instructions about what to do. But, instead, I remembered that I had the printer cord already connected when I began running the software CD, so, I tried disconnecting the cord, & then reconnecting it. That took care of the problem. So, that might have caused the Hardware window.

You have to manually paste the copy of the thumbprint into the text box. You can only process one screen print at a time.
Some message boards are able to post more than 1 scr. shot at a time. So, I thought all MB's could.

Some time ago, Samantha provided me with the geeks links that describes how to make a screen shot, and how to post it here on geeks. I'm not sure if I still have it or not. I tried to locate those posts here on geeks, yesterday but, didn't find them. I need to review them, because back then, I didn't have any trouble making or posting scr. shots at that time.
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload Empty10/15/2011, 10:09

wcturner wrote:
Some time ago, Samantha provided me with the geeks links that describes how to make a screen shot, and how to post it here on geeks. I'm not sure if I still have it or not. I tried to locate those posts here on geeks, yesterday but, didn't find them. I need to review them, because back then, I didn't have any trouble making or posting scr. shots at that time.

https://geeksgeeksmoregeeks.forumotion.net/t464-adding-images-using-the-image-host-on-this-board
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload Empty10/15/2011, 13:24

After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload Blue_s11

After checking my email last nite in limited account, when I got back to my desktop all the text under my icons were encased in blue for some unknown reason. I don't suppose it hurts anything, but, there is always strange things, such as this, happening to the computer for no reason, especially when I'm on it. Either I've got a Hex on me, or the computer is haunted?

Anything to be concerned about?

Edit: 6:21PM, CDT This has cleared up now. I just wanted to show you the scr. shot.
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload Empty10/15/2011, 21:54

WC, remember what I said about doing a restore to an earlier point in time when wierd things happen on your computer? Sometimes the registry just gets fouled up for no reason, and a restore will frequently fix the problem you are observing. Looks like your theme could have gotten corrupted, and that frequently happens on XP, but doesn't harm anything. Just makes thing look different than you want.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload Empty10/15/2011, 22:32

Yes, I remember, but, if I keep having to go back to a restore point, how will I ever get all the apps, and stuff, reloaded back on here?

I just got Spybot installed last night, and I'd have to re install that again.

1) So, do you think I need to restore back?

2) Can you tell me what settings to use on Spybot?

3) I've got a scr. shot of a window that came up after installing Spybot. It's referring to settings, I think. I'll have to go to Owner account to post it because that's where I made the scr.shot, & I cannot locate it in my limited account.
I don't suppose there's a way to find a screenshot made in one account, and someway to find them in all accounts, is there?

4) And, about the problems I was having posting scr. shots in Firefox, I wonder if it would work better in IE?
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload Empty10/16/2011, 14:02

Repa,
1) Since I haven't heard from you, I've decided to restore back to 10/13/11, and hope that takes care of things. I think Spybot is the only app I'll have to reinstall, I hope.

2) In the meantime if you get a chance, If you would be so kind as to give me instructions of what settings to use for Spybot, I'd appreciate it? I've got a screen shot to post regarding a window I keep getting from Spybot, and when you see it maybe your instructions will prevent that from reccurring on the re-install of Spybot S&D. I used the safer-networking link of yours to install it.

After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload Sd10

Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload Empty10/16/2011, 15:45

WC, my best friend in Richmond died yesterday and I don't have a lot of time for posting. This man and his wife are closer to us than a brother and sister and I have to be there for his wife. We've been best friends with them for 35 years.

We will be leaving early in the morning and I won't have internet access for about a week or so - not sure when we will leave to come home. So, this will likely be my last post for about a week.

On restore points - get all your apps loaded as fast as you can and when done, check your system to see that nothing unexpected is going on and then create a new restore point to go back to if something should happen within the next day or two. Pay attention each time you boot up after a shutdown or reboot to any changes or unexpected behavior, and go back to the last restore point created before that boot up. Make sure either you or the system creates a new restore point everyday to avoid the problem you cited.

On the Legal Stuff popup, click the box next to "Don't show this again" and click ok. It won't come back after that - it's nothing to be concerned about.

You can reach files in any user account from your Owner account since it is an administrator account. You can also set up folders and files to Share between user accounts. When you are in Windows Explorer or My Computer, click on the Help button on the menu bar, select Help and Support Center, and type "Sharing files and folders" in the Search text box. Click the arrow to the right of the text box and you will be given topics to select that tell you how to do this.

Go with the default settings on Spybot and you'll be fine. I'll check it later and if you need to change anything, I'll address it when I get back from Kentucky. Make sure you don't install teatimer, and don't download any teatimer updates when doing your updates.

Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload Empty10/17/2011, 15:57

Repa,I'll write this now while reasonably fresh on my mind.
Sorry to hear about your friend! My condolences! Have a safe trip!

I'm in IE posting this. In my gmail account, when I log in in internet explorer, it tells me I'm using an older version of IE, and things may not work correctly. It does act unstable. So, it also could be something else making it unstable, since it was acting up again anyway, unsure if it's IE7 alone, or not?

But, that aside, I Restored back to 10/13/2011, hoping that would correct things. I thought the restore had completed, so I gave the computer a rest& me for a few hours. When I returned to login to my limited account, nothing happened. I kept clicking, & clicking trying to get logged in.
Finally after several minutes, I get a window, and I wasn't able to get a screen shot of it. "The system can't log you on due to the following error: Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service. Please try again or consult your system Administrator." At the time I did not think about waiting a while, and trying again later, especially after the screen turned black. So, I decided to turn it off til I could talk with you about it. As you can see, computer came back on today. I clicked my owner account, and stepped out a minute while it was comming up. Upon returning, there was a System Restore window window declaring that the Restore was a success. Don't know why that window was not displayed yesterday upon SR completion? It had time to show the message

Anyway, there's been other instabilities showing up also, so as bad as I hate to, I've decided to Restore back to right after I installed Avast. That's gonna require a lot of extra time consuming work, but since you are not able to advise me, I don't know what else to do. I've got to get this puter up and running again. I just hope the SR will correct things.
I can't understand why all this unstable things are happening in the first place.? I thought the hard drive wipe, & reload was suppose to cure the things that was making the computer unstable before the wipe.?

Look forward to your safe return!
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload Empty10/21/2011, 21:05

Repa,I'll write this now while reasonably fresh on my mind.
Sorry to hear about your friend! My condolences! Have a safe trip!

I'm in IE posting this. In my gmail account, when I log in in internet explorer, it tells me I'm using an older version of IE, and things may not work correctly. It does act unstable. So, it also could be something else making it unstable, since it was acting up again anyway, unsure if it's IE7 alone, or not?

Upgrade to IE8. IE7 has poor reviews and I haven't experienced any problems with IE8.

But, that aside, I Restored back to 10/13/2011, hoping that would correct things. I thought the restore had completed, so I gave the computer a rest& me for a few hours. When I returned to login to my limited account, nothing happened. I kept clicking, & clicking trying to get logged in.
Finally after several minutes, I get a window, and I wasn't able to get a screen shot of it. "The system can't log you on due to the following error: Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service. Please try again or consult your system Administrator." At the time I did not think about waiting a while, and trying again later, especially after the screen turned black. So, I decided to turn it off til I could talk with you about it. As you can see, computer came back on today. I clicked my owner account, and stepped out a minute while it was comming up. Upon returning, there was a System Restore window window declaring that the Restore was a success. Don't know why that window was not displayed yesterday upon SR completion? It had time to show the message

Sometimes there is a long delay in the Restore Window reappearing, like 5, 10 15 minutes or more. It will always eventually reappear, unless something has gone wrong with it, and you need to be patient and wait for it before doing anything else. If it doesn't appear after 30 or more minutes, shut down and reboot into Save Mode to get things working again. System restore usually resolves itself when you do that, but the key is to be patient, as the reappearance of that window can sometimes take a long time - don't know why.

Anyway, there's been other instabilities showing up also, so as bad as I hate to, I've decided to Restore back to right after I installed Avast. That's gonna require a lot of extra time consuming work, but since you are not able to advise me, I don't know what else to do. I've got to get this puter up and running again. I just hope the SR will correct things.
I can't understand why all this unstable things are happening in the first place.? I thought the hard drive wipe, & reload was suppose to cure the things that was making the computer unstable before the wipe.?

I don't know, WC, you need to get your antivirus and anti-malware programs on first, then your printer software, then do a defrag, then run Windows updates, then any other applications you use, then do another defrag before surfing the internet or playing games. At each step, you need to look for issues before proceeding to the next step. It is helpful to set restore points at each step so if in the next step something goes wrong, you have the nearest point to go back to when things were stable. You also should go through the tutorials I mentioned previously, and look for bloatware installed by hp that could be slowing your system down or causing some stability. Did you look for and get rid of wildtangent? It may be hidden in a game package.

Look forward to your safe return!
Thanks
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload Empty10/22/2011, 02:05

Hey Repa, I wasn't expecting you back yet, but, glad you are!

I'll reply to your current post, and might have to wait til Saturday afternoon to bring you up to date on my progress.

1) Is IE 8 difficult to install? Anything to be aware of? I think I am getting better, after all these System Restore's and having to reinstall everything & all.

2) I decided to do another system restore on 10/20/11, and I restored all the way back to when I got computer from the shop. So I managed to get Avast, and all the anti-malware programs installed on 10/20/11.

I forgot the printer, so I'm glad you mentioned that, I need to get that done.

I also forgot to check Windows Updates. The automatic updates setting is on, but after this restore, the icon did not appear in the system tray, or the balloon, saying that updates are ready. So that completely slipped my mind. Have to check on those.

On the internet, I've just checked email, here at geeks, & a known safe site or two. And, I only let wife play cards off her desktop. Were these things OKay to do?

3) I haven't looked in Add/Remove since I got Avast, & Malware programs installed again. But, Wild Tangent was not in Add/Remove, the last time I looked. But, I found the folder named wildtanget, I told you I saw it somewhere. It's located in C:)ProgramFiles. I don't remember seeing anything called "Games" in Add/Remove last I looked. So, would deleting that folder get rid of it, or do I use Ccleaner to remove, if still not in add/remove?

4) Also, before this last system restore back to when I got computer back from wipe& reload repair, I had noticed a lot of items in the Add/Remove list that had (Remove Only) after their name. I think they are all Games. I should remove all those games, correct?

5) I am planning to go thru the Tuts, I just wish I could do this stuff as fast as you can. Try as I might, I just am too slow on these things. I'll do the best I can, hope you will bear with me.? Along with all my other health issues, I think I also suffer from "Old Timers" disease. Smile I guess I need to do scans with avast& anti-malware apps. as soon as I can don't I?

6) Will you check my new thread I posted in community lounge about the games and stuff offered in there?

Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload Empty10/22/2011, 12:15

wcturner wrote:

1) Is IE 8 difficult to install? Anything to be aware of? I think I am getting better, after all these System Restore's and having to reinstall everything & all.

No, it's just another windows update. There'll be a wizard to respond to after the install is completed.

On the internet, I've just checked email, here at geeks, & a known safe site or two. And, I only let wife play cards off her desktop. Were these things OKay to do?

Yes

3) I haven't looked in Add/Remove since I got Avast, & Malware programs installed again. But, Wild Tangent was not in Add/Remove, the last time I looked. But, I found the folder named wildtanget, I told you I saw it somewhere. It's located in C:)ProgramFiles. I don't remember seeing anything called "Games" in Add/Remove last I looked. So, would deleting that folder get rid of it, or do I use Ccleaner to remove, if still not in add/remove?

Set a new Restore Point before following the below instructions in case something goes wrong:
1. Click "Start" > "Run." Type "regedit" (minus the quotation marks) in the "Open" box and click "Ok." Your computer's Registry Editor will open.
2. Expand "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" by clicking the +button to the left of it. Expand the "SOFTWARE," "Microsoft," "Windows" and "CurrentVersion" folders in the same manner.
3. Click on the "Run" folder. In the pane on the right, look for "wcmdmgr," "'wt gamechannel" and "ddcm." Delete them if they are present by right-clicking on the line they are on under the name column and selecting Delete.
4. Close the Registry Editor. Open "My Computer," double-click "Local Disk (C:)" and open the "Program Files" folder.
5. Find and delete the "WildTangent" folder by right clicking and choosing "Delete."
6. Restart your computer.
7. Run the Ccleaner "Registry" option to cleanup your registry.
8. follow steps 2 and 3 above again to check to see that "wcmdmgr", "wt gamechannel" and "ddcm" are still gone. If so (they should be), then all of the wildtangent game package has been removed and you should be good to go

4) Also, before this last system restore back to when I got computer back from wipe& reload repair, I had noticed a lot of items in the Add/Remove list that had (Remove Only) after their name. I think they are all Games. I should remove all those games, correct?

WC, post a complete list of these items and hold off doing the wildtanget delete above until I see what you are talking about. It might be a good thing for you to post several screenprints of your entire Add/Remove programs so I can take a look at what you can remove before doing anything there or in your registry. I don't have an hp machine, but I do know they add a lot of unnecessary bloatware.

6) Will you check my new thread I posted in community lounge about the games and stuff offered in there?

As far as I know, Samantha (pepperpot) checked all that stuff before posting them. They should all be ok, but you should probably wait for her response to your post there before letting your wife loose on them.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload Empty10/22/2011, 19:12

I'm gonna get the printer set up again first.

Which of the two below do I do first?

Posted 10/22/11 ;12:15 Repa said: WC, post a complete list of these items and hold off doing the wildtanget delete above until I see what you are talking about. It might be a good thing for you to post several screenprints of your entire Add/Remove programs so I can take a look at what you can remove before doing anything there or in your registry. I don't have an hp machine, but I do know they add a lot of unnecessary bloatware.

Posted 10/21/11; 21:05 Repa Said: then do a defrag, then run Windows updates, then any other applications you use, then do another defrag before surfing the internet or playing games.

Well, this is not a good sign. I just tried to post your 2 quotes above in RED. And, after hi-lighting them I clicked the color square above and the high lighted area vanished, and the color selection menu did not come up! Just like Firefox was doing before I went to all this trouble. Seems like I'm doing all this for naught?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload Empty

Back to top Go down

After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload
Page 1 of 11Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks :: Windows Computer Help :: Computer Security-
Jump to: