Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. SORRY! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REGISTER; YOUR REQUEST WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 10 Empty12/21/2011, 00:08

Do the updates.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Number of posts : 1165
Humor : Yes
Registration date : 2009-10-26

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 10 Empty12/21/2011, 14:44

Ok, dumb question for the day. Where do I find Adobe Reader, and JRE (Java Runtime Environment) to get the updates, and will I find an update tab there?
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 10 Empty12/21/2011, 18:20

Open adobe reader. On the menu bar click Help > Check for updates. Follow the prompts you get. Deselect any offers that appear during the update.

In the Control Panel click on the Java icon to open the Java control panel. Click the Update Tab, then click the "Update Now" button. Follow the prompts you get. Deselect any offers that appear during the update.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 10 Empty12/22/2011, 01:12

Repa,

1) I got the Java update installed. Do I need to remove any old ones in Add/Remove?

2) I was thinking that Adobe used to be in some folder back before the wipe & reload. Anyway, I found it in All Programs and on Desktop. I want you to look at this screenshot before I proceed with Adobe. The "Help" tab does not work. Is it because an Update is available? Here's the screenshot, and I'll wait for your reply before going forward with Adobe?

After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 10 Adobe_10
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 10 Empty12/22/2011, 01:31

The update should have removed the old version of Java on your machine. Check your add/remove programs, and if old version(s) happen to be there, remove it(them).

Obviously, you've never used the adobe reader before. You have to accept the agreement before you can use it. Then, the links on the menu bar will work.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 10 Empty12/22/2011, 23:31

Repa,

Add/Remove list only had Java(TM)6Update30. That's all that's supposed to be there, Right?
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 10 Empty12/23/2011, 00:01

Repa,
1) Just got the Adobe Reader X update. After the install, I clicked the desktop Icon and I made a Pic of it for you to look at. This is how it looked after the update. It's about the same as before the update, except on the right pane now there's 2 more entries there below the top 2 entries.

2) In the left pane, what's "Open a recent file" mean?

3) I accept the user agreement, then got the update, that's all I need to do for now, Right?

After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 10 Adobe_12
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 10 Empty12/23/2011, 00:38

You can click that link to find and open a PDF file on your computer. Click on the below link and see if the document appears in Adobe Reader. If it does, that's all you need to do.

http://www.dandfcollectibles.com/denisdev/TestPdf.pdf
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 10 Empty12/24/2011, 00:45

Repa said: Click on the below link and see if the document appears in Adobe Reader.

The following appeared when I clicked your link. Test PDF for Adobe Reader
Congratulations! You can now read PDF files. Is this what I was supposed to see? There was no document.
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

Number of posts : 1480
Registration date : 2008-10-17
Mood : none

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 10 Empty12/24/2011, 01:17

Wc,

Repa can tell you for sure. But I think that was the document. I saw the same thing you did. I think it is a document that was created just for the purpose of tesing the pdf reader.

Fay
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 10 Empty12/24/2011, 10:58

Yes, that is the pdf document "TestPdf.pdf" that I created and put on my website for you to test your adobe reader. You can even click "File" on the menu bar and print it or save it to your computer if you want. If you check your browser add-ons, you'll see that you have an adobe pdf plug-in that allows you to read, print, and save (if desired) pdf files off the internet. Adobe Reader will allow you to read any file that is created in .pdf format, whether on your computer, sent to you in an email, or one you want to read or download from the internet.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 10 Empty1/6/2012, 00:50

Repa,
I got a screen shot of something I'd like you to see and comment about what I need to do about it, or others, if I receive any more? I've never gotten one like this before.

After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 10 No_scr10
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 10 Empty1/6/2012, 05:17

NoScript's ClearClick prevents users from clicking on invisible or "redressed" page elements of embedded documents or applets, defeating all types of clickjacking (i.e. frame-based and plugin-based). If you didn't uncheck "Keep the element locked (recommended)" and click ok on the box, then you are ok. If you see that warning again, leave that box checked and get off that site. I can find no information about cowboybyte.com. If I were you, I'd stay away from there.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 10 Empty1/6/2012, 19:06

that's what i did, just clicked ok, and closed the browser. i was afraid to do anything else.
what if i had clicked that image(I guess that was the dark box that said like?), what would've happened?Just curious?
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 10 Empty1/6/2012, 19:30

Don't know, never saw it before. Just researched what it was and what it indicated was going on. Better stay away from that website.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 10 Empty1/9/2012, 19:05

My gmail went to a new look recently. My Firefox was trying to update, and I kept getting little windows saying make sure another version isn't running. I thought I got it updated, but, logging into my limited account, kept getting those small window popups. Sat. or Sun. I was trying to write an email and it was behaving strange, so today I Restored back to 1/05/12, & just finished that. Hope it helps.

Then moments ago, got small pop up window saying it crashed. I've got a screen shot I'm posting. I'm still hoping to go to drop my rights.

After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 10 Ff_cra10

And, currently, when I try to open Firefox, this window keeps popping up. I had to post this using Chrome. Hopefully, when I log out of my account, and try to open FF later, it'll work then.

Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 10 Empty1/10/2012, 02:02

What happens when you click the Restart firefox button on that window? If it keeps crashing, it has probably become corrupted and you'll need to completely uninstall it and reinstall it. If you have to do that and you don't have a version of the firefox installer application in your My Documents, download it from your Chrome or IE browser. Be sure you delete the Mozilla Firefox folder in Program Files on the C drive if it is still there after uninstalling firefox before you begin the reinstall. Make sure you are in the Owner account when you do all this.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 10 Empty1/10/2012, 17:34

Repa said: What happens when you click the Restart firefox button on that window? That same crash reporter window comes back up each time. And, when I click my FF icon to try to re-open the FF browser I get the same window.

Repa said: you'll need to completely uninstall it and reinstall it. That is just what I told my wife earlier, that was probably what I'd have to do, Dang it!
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 10 Empty1/11/2012, 20:18

Just finished FF re-install, and here's the add-ons scr. shot. I think these stay enabled, or not?

And, when doing the screen shot, when I got to the "click File" step, it would not allow me the continue. Instead of the finger/hand cursor I got one that looked like the cross hairs of a rifle scope, and the thing that separates the panes on Outlook Express email, kinda like 4 tomahawks. Finally I tried to cancel the screen shot and begin again. Upon clicking cancel, somehow, the screen shot process went to next step and I got it "Saved". Don't ask me how. This stuff can only happen to me!

After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 10 Ff_add10
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 10 Empty1/11/2012, 20:49

wcturner wrote:
Just finished FF re-install, and here's the add-ons scr. shot. I think these stay enabled, or not?

Yes, those stay enabled.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 10 Empty1/13/2012, 01:42

1) When reinstalling FF, I used the old installer in my downloads, ver 7.0 I think. The owner account updated to newest version 9.0.1, my wife's limited account updated also. But, my limited account did not. I'll post screen shot of the window I received. I finally had to change my account to Admin. to receive the update. Do you happen to know why my limited account did not update, as the wife's did? Just curious.

2) One night when I was turning off computer for the night, it said Windows update was ready to install, and would turn off the computer when finished. I did not like that idea, so I passed on it. I thought it would reappear the next day, but, it didn't. I went to Windows Update site, and it said I had one Security update that should be installed, KB 2585542, but, it cannot be removed if installed. Should I install it? It also said there are hidden updates that need to be installed, and asked if I wanted to restore them. I assume I should restore them to be able to tell you their KB number, correct? And, then, you can tell me what should I do about them, right?

I only did the screen shots to show you the messages I got.

After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 10 Ff_fai10

After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 10 Can_t_10
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 10 Empty1/13/2012, 13:02

wcturner wrote:
1) When reinstalling FF, I used the old installer in my downloads, ver 7.0 I think. The owner account updated to newest version 9.0.1, my wife's limited account updated also. But, my limited account did not. I'll post screen shot of the window I received. I finally had to change my account to Admin. to receive the update. Do you happen to know why my limited account did not update, as the wife's did? Just curious.

No, I don't know. If you will install "DropMyRights", and use your owner account for all online browsing it will reduce your privileges in that account while you are using your browser to make online work safer, and you won't have these problems. You can even do this for Outlook or Outlook express if you use those applications. You will need to keep one browser shortcut for each browser as is now so you can have administrative privileges in that browser when you need them, such as when doing a Windows Update, or Updating your browsers or updating applications like Shockwave and Adobe Flash. The directions for installing and using DropMyRights are straight-forward. The main problem you might run into is just not typing the command line in the properties window correctly. You'll know that if you click the shortcut and it doesn't work. You have to be careful to type exactly as shown in the instructions.

2) One night when I was turning off computer for the night, it said Windows update was ready to install, and would turn off the computer when finished. I did not like that idea, so I passed on it. I thought it would reappear the next day, but, it didn't. I went to Windows Update site, and it said I had one Security update that should be installed, KB 2585542, but, it cannot be removed if installed. Should I install it? It also said there are hidden updates that need to be installed, and asked if I wanted to restore them. I assume I should restore them to be able to tell you their KB number, correct? And, then, you can tell me what should I do about them, right?

Install any Windows updates offered. I don't know what you have hidden - usually that is something you elected to hide because you don't want to download them. I'd have to see them. I have no idea what your second screen shot is or what it refers to in the message you posted
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 10 Empty1/14/2012, 23:03

1) I don't know what you have hidden - usually that is something you elected to hide because you don't want to download them. This is the "Hidden" Windows Update, HP Memories Disc Creator-Software Update. I don't know how this got hidden. I haven't hidden any updates after "The Wipe and Reload. If I don't need this update, & I don't think I do, How would I hide it again? I don't need it do I?

2) Last night, when logging into my Owner account I received the "Insufficent Resources to log in" notice again. Didn't you say you had one more thing to try for fixing that, or not?

Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 10 Empty1/14/2012, 23:20

wcturner wrote:
1) I don't know what you have hidden - usually that is something you elected to hide because you don't want to download them. This is the "Hidden" Windows Update, HP Memories Disc Creator-Software Update. I don't know how this got hidden. I haven't hidden any updates after "The Wipe and Reload. If I don't need this update, & I don't think I do, How would I hide it again? I don't need it do I?

The hidden options are stored on the Windows Update server, not your computer. You would go to Windows update and there will be an option there to hide the update where it appears in the update list. You don't need that update unless you use that software.
2) Last night, when logging into my Owner account I received the "Insufficent Resources to log in" notice again. Didn't you say you had one more thing to try for fixing that, or not?

No, I've run out of ideas. The fewer applications you have running at any one time, the less chance that will have of occurring. You'll just have to live with it. Just don't load your computer up with a lot of stuff running in all your accounts at the same time. If you install DropMyRights and get rid of your user accounts, that problem will likely go away.

Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 10 Empty2/7/2012, 00:35

I just got a window stating that OPXPApp.exe encountered a problem and needed to close. I thought I had seen the last of that one. I made a screen shot, but I can not get the geeks site to let me post it. The host an image and everything in the row above this text box will not work for me. I am doing this in the Firefox DMR's browser. Before posting this I tried posting the screen shot in the original Firefox Owner's account with Admin rights, and it would not post it in that browser either.

1) Do I need to do anything about the OPXPApp.exe window notice or just close it and ignore it?

2) Do you know why I can't use the color box, or host an image, etc on this site?

3) I am still trying to finish up the transfer of DMR's, and then close out the limited accounts.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 10 Empty

Back to top Go down

After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload
Page 10 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks :: Windows Computer Help :: Computer Security-
Jump to: