Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. SORRY! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REGISTER; YOUR REQUEST WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Excel and printing dates in header

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

Number of posts : 1480
Registration date : 2008-10-17
Mood : none

Excel and printing dates in header Empty
PostSubject: Excel and printing dates in header   Excel and printing dates in header Empty7/31/2014, 20:03

Trying to figure out what date to put in the header to help me keep track of which print out is the most recent.
I am using quick parts.    I have tried both PrintDate and SaveDate.

I do not think either will work exactly the way I  would have liked ,  Guess I will just have to deal with it.
If I click the Save, you can not immediately see the new date on the screen.
If I forget to Save before I Print,  the document will have the new data on it but will show the old Save date

Wish there was a date  that would update when you save it and there have been changes but as far as I can tell that does not exist.

Is there a way of making it  Save when you Print  so that If I make changes and Print,  it will get saved with the changes and show the new date on the document?

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks
Fay

EDIT- SORRY - I meant WORD not EXcEL

Last edited by fay47 on 7/31/2014, 21:09; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Excel and printing dates in header   Excel and printing dates in header Empty7/31/2014, 20:50

Where did your post about Word go? I am still on Word 2000, but I think the following instructions do what you were asking:

To Insert the date and time a document was created, last printed, or last saved
Click where you want to insert the date or time.

1. On the Insert menu, click Field.

2. In the Categories box, click Date and Time.

3. In the Field names box, click the field you want to insert (e.g., Date)

Note:   To update a date or time field, right-click the date or time in the document, and then click Update Field.

I'll have to get back to you on Excel.

Last edited by Repa on 8/1/2014, 11:35; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

PostSubject: Re: Excel and printing dates in header   Excel and printing dates in header Empty7/31/2014, 21:08

Repa,

Sorry, I meant WORD not EXCEL. After playing with it a while , I decided I wanted to ask something slightly different.

Fay
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

PostSubject: Re: Excel and printing dates in header   Excel and printing dates in header Empty7/31/2014, 21:28

Anything that relies on my memory is not good Smile

I was trying to find something that would print the last date the document was changed with out my having to remember to do something before I printed. I can not find that. I either have to save before I print, or I think maybe go into print preview (not sure). I am getting confuse about all the things I have tired.
It is not of huge importance, but is just one of those things that seems like should be able to do, but perhaps not.

Thanks
Fay
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

PostSubject: Re: Excel and printing dates in header   Excel and printing dates in header Empty8/1/2014, 11:13

In word 2007, do you know if there is a way to either force a save before print, or force a prompt for save before print.
I have been looking but so far have not found.

Maybe it is not worth all this effort.  Probably just need to use the savedate  and forget it.  My problem is, I often forget to save before I print, then I get a prompt to save and save at that time.  In that case the  savedate printed on the document would not be correct.  Guess if I get the prompt it would be a sign I need to re-print after I save to get the correct savedate printed.  I can probably live with that.  If it happens enough, maybe I will get into the habit of saving before printing Smile

I figure there could be some way with macros and VBA to do this.  But I do not know VBA and have not used macros.  Tried to find some simple examples, with good instructions  that I could just copy,  but so far have not.   I may give up on the search and just use the savedate and reprint if I need to.  it is not that important.

So, if you do not know, I am not asking you to research for me.  But if you know a way I would appreciate the information.

Well, hmmm, it appears that after I print a document it asks if I want to save even if I saved right before I print - so I can not use that as a que to tell me if I need to save an then re-print.
Do you know why it is asking me if I want to save after I pirnt?

Thanks
Fay
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Excel and printing dates in header   Excel and printing dates in header Empty8/1/2014, 17:56

I cannot find any way to create a date field that will not update automatically when you open the document. If I manually edit the date field to be a prior day and close the document, when I open it, it automatically updates to the current day and there appears to be no way to prevent that. I can change the date in the date field manually to a date that is prior to the current date, and then print the document, and the field will automatically update with the print options set to "Update fields" in printer options (Tools > Options > Print Tab > check "Update fields" under Print options).  That's the best I can do Fay. I don't think there is any way to do what you want. Sorry!
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

PostSubject: Re: Excel and printing dates in header   Excel and printing dates in header Empty8/1/2014, 19:06

Repa,

For Word in the QuickParts  I found 3 date fields, but it does not look like QuickParts exist in Excel

Here are the 3 date fields in Word.
Date
PrintDate
SaveDate

The PrintDate and Savedate do not update automatically when you open the docuemtn.

The SaveDate comes close to doing what I want,  THe main problem with it, is me.  I sometime I print before I save the documents so the SaveDate will not have been updated, then I get the prompt and save, the SaveDate gets update , but it is not the date that was printed on the document.

I am sometimes just amazed at the things they do not let you do, or make it very difficult to do.
And Excel is another issue, do not see a way to do it at all there.

hanks for trying to help. I am going to use the SaveDate field in word, and try to work with it.
If I could just remember to always  save before I print I think it would work. Not sure what I will do on any Excel documents unless I just manually update the date.

Thanks again,
Fay
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Excel and printing dates in header   Excel and printing dates in header Empty

Back to top Go down

Excel and printing dates in header
Page 1 of 1