Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. SORRY! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REGISTER; YOUR REQUEST WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Worried about Virus In Yahoo email??????

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Worried about Virus In Yahoo email??????   Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 5 Empty12/8/2012, 18:08

wcturner wrote:
1. I have noticed on this Windows 7 that when downloading Malwarebytes, or any App., I just get the little yellowish text box at the bottom of my screen. It is shown at this following link, https://servimg.com/view/17656004/37. And, I forgot to try that, so, I'm not sure if I can get the Desktop Icon this way or not.? In any event, I was not offered the desktop Icon Option, & I didn't tell it to create a desktop icon, cause I forgot it I when I got it from majorgeeks yesterday. I hope to remember to click the little down arrow in the future.

Why are you downloading TDSSKILLER? You already have it on your computer as TK123 (TDSSKiller disguised) in your Downloads folder. You can create an icon for it on your desktop as I told you previously how to do. TK123 and adwcleaner are stand-alone applications that will not create desktop icons or Start Menu entries for you, and they won't appear in Programs and Features as you don't install them, they run as they are. You have to create the desktop icons for them yourself. TK123 and adwcleaner are not applications that need to be run during normal maintenance scans unless you suspect a problem and don't find anything in your regular scans.

2. I still don't know for sure how to Re-Do the Create System Image & backups for Toshiba hard drive. I just found in this little Toshiba booklet it says: On desktop double click Computer>double click the icon for the Toshiba hard drive>Double-click the SetUp.exe file(IT SAYS INSTALLER.EXE IN MY COMPUTER F DRIVE LIST) & follow the installation wizard's instructions. For more information, please select HELP from the Backup software interface after installation.

3. Now, this is for when the Toshiba hard drive is first connected, will this also work NOW, after I DID the backups & deleted them. Do you think this is what I will need to do? I think those instructions, in #2 above, click the SetUp.exe file(IT SAYS INSTALLER.EXE IN MY COMPUTER F DRIVE LIST) should work, even though it won't be the initial installation, don't you?

Answer for 2) and 3) above: If using Toshiba's software is what you want to do, it should work. That apparently is the backup software that comes with Toshiba. I don't know what features and options it has or whether it would be better than Windows backup or not, but I do know that the Windows backup and restore software is much improved and gives you the options you need. You need to consider that if you have problems with it, I won't be able to help you because I don't have the Toshiba backup application. Are you implying that this is what you did before and did not use Windows Backup and Restore? Your screen shots indicate it was Windows Backup and Restore that you were using.

I suggest you use Windows Backup and Restore. There are simple directions to follow in the wizard that will allow you to do the image backup and a fairly detailed backup of files and folders at the same time (i.e., one run instead of 2), select just the folders and files you want backed up (the custom option), set up a schedule (daily, weekly, or monthly), run the backup, and after that forget it. If you follow the instructions in the following article, you can't go wrong, and this is what I recommend you do if you need help with it later, because I don't have the Toshiba software to look at and will not be able to solve any problems it might give you:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/1838/using-backup-and-restore-in-windows-7/

4. Edit: after thinking about it, I'm considering deleting the Malwarebytes & the Adwcleaner downloads from yesterday, & download them again, this time clicking the "Down" arrow, & then "Save AS" in order to get the Icons. And, I'm not sure I like both those Apps on that same Set Up box I showed you in the screen shot yesterday either. If I do them over, it might prevent more problems from cropping up. Your Opinion?

I cannot imagine that there would be anything wrong with them.

Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

Number of posts : 1480
Registration date : 2008-10-17
Mood : none

PostSubject: Re: Worried about Virus In Yahoo email??????   Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 5 Empty12/8/2012, 18:51

WC

You said

Quote :
And, I'm not sure I like both those Apps on that same Set Up box I showed you in the screen shot yesterday either

Are you talking about the sreen shot that says View and Track Your Downloads?
If so, I beleiver that just shows everything you have downloaded - mine shows a long list of stuff I have downloaded. So if you download somthing else - it will show up ont he list also. If you delete them and re-download - they will both be there again.

Fay
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Number of posts : 1165
Humor : Yes
Registration date : 2009-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Worried about Virus In Yahoo email??????   Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 5 Empty12/8/2012, 20:44

Repa,
1. You're not understanding me. I don't know if you're reading too fast or what. Why are you downloading TDSSKILLER? I am not DOWNLOADING it. That link to that screenshot is just to show the yellow download box at the bottom of that screenshot, so you would know what Iwrote about it.

2. Answer for 2) and 3) above: If using Toshiba's software is what you want to do, it should work. You need to consider that if you have problems with it, I won't be able to help you because I don't have the Toshiba backup application. Are you implying that this is what you did before and did not use Windows Backup and Restore? Your screen shots indicate it was Windows Backup and Restore that you were using. Look, as I keep telling you, here again is the process I used when I created the System Image Backups the first time, that was deleted. I connected the External Hard Drive to my computer, and that's all I DID. The BackUp Program came up by itself(MUST've been Windows Backup & Restore), & all I did was do what the Prompts said. You saw my screen shots of it, I am computer illiterate ABOUT THESE EXTERNAL HARD DRIVES, and since you suggested that I get one, I have to depend on your help me to re-create them again. I just need get it done again, correctly, so we can be finished. That's why I keep asking you, How DO I GET this system image backups created again? Please understand me? I read the eHow sites you gave me before, but I did not have to use them. I just connected the External Hard Drive to my computer, and I guess the Windows software took over, and I just followed the Prompts.? So, since the External Hard Drive is already connected to my computer, don't I just to go to Control Panel Backup and click on "SetUp BackUp" to get the Process started again? I don't expect that Windows Software will come up by it self again without me clicking "SetUp BackUp".? See this screenshot, don't I go here & click "SetUp BackUp, when I'm ready to begin again??
Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 5 Contro10

Repa said: Your screen shots indicate it was Windows Backup and Restore that you were using. You know better than I, so it must have been Windows Backup that gave me the Prompts to follow.
And, yes, Windows Backup and Restore, is better for me, since I'll need your help if anything goes wrong. I just need to know what to do, so after I finish my scans, I'll have this info ahead of time. Since I did not have to use your eHow links on the first Create System Image, I just want to be sure of the proper way to get it started again.?
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Worried about Virus In Yahoo email??????   Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 5 Empty12/8/2012, 21:08

Fay, your comments about View and Track your Downloads got me curious, because I can't find this animal on my computers. So, started doing some research and found that it comes with IE9, controlled by a Download Manager, and a ton of people are very upset with it. Looks like Microsoft is forcing you to come to that screen to run stuff, and if you try to run it from the desktop, people are claiming you can't, saying they get a popup asking if you want to save or run the file. How utterly stupid, if that is the case!Could it be why WC doesn't have a Malwarebytes shortcut icon on his desktop? I got fed up with IE9 shortly after updating to it and uninstalled it, which brought me back to IE8, which doesn't have the Download Manager in IE9 that can't be disabled and is creating all the ruckus. So, that's why I was puzzled when WC showed that screenshot. Here's a few articles describing this problem:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Using-download-manager-in-internet-explorer

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ieitprocurrentver/thread/8ce98892-31d7-42fe-912f-a4e6f855dd03/

and here is something explaining how to use the Download Manager in IE9:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Using-download-manager-in-internet-explorer

WC, I assume you updated to IE9, so if you want things to work as before, uninstall it and your system will revert back to IE8. Then, don't let Windows Update run automatically or it will install it again. Set it so you are notified when updates are available, but does nothing until you decide to go there to install them, and that will give you a chance to deselect IE9 from the download and install list.
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Worried about Virus In Yahoo email??????   Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 5 Empty12/8/2012, 21:38

wcturner wrote:
See this screenshot, don't I go here & click "SetUp BackUp, when I'm ready to begin again??[/color]
Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 5 Contro10

And, yes, Windows Backup and Restore, is better for me, since I'll need your help if anything goes wrong. I just need to know what to do, so after I finish my scans, I'll have this info ahead of time. Since I did not have to use your eHow links on the first Create System Image, I just want to be sure of the proper way to get it started again.?[/color]

Yes, that is where you go. I've mentioned several times in earlier posts that is what to do. I guess I'm just not communicating clearly, but if you had finished reading my second paragraph about this in my last post above Fay's, and gone to the article I referenced, which is different than the other I gave you when you first did this:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/1838/using-backup-and-restore-in-windows-7/

you would have seen very simple, easy to follow step-by-step instructions accompanied by screenshot pictures of each step telling you AND showing you at each step exactly what to do to make both your backup image and your file and folder backup in one operation instead of two, including how to select the specific folders you want backed up and how to setup a schedule you want for Windows to do your backups automatically. I can't make it any plainer than they did in this article, and if you follow it, you can't go wrong.
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

PostSubject: Re: Worried about Virus In Yahoo email??????   Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 5 Empty12/8/2012, 22:01

Repa,

I always go direclty to my download folder to run things, have never run from the download mamager. I just went and tried running one of the files in my downloads folder. I did get a message asking me if I wanted to run - I clicked yes - and then I got the other screen asking me if I wanted to let it make changes - I clicked yes and it started to run. Seems like I do remembet having some kind of problem with it at one time, asking about run or save when trying to run the donwloaded file- but I cann't rememeber what the problem was - think I only had it happen one time. I may have just deleted, gone back and downloaded again and told it to run instead of save, but I don't remember for sure - it was one that the run would do an install.

I don't know about the shortcut. I have one, but if I end upt without one, I always find the executable and created on. I may have done that with this - I am not sure. If you need me to try something out let me know. If you want I can delete my malware byes and try downlaoding again.

I agree I think Microsoft is making things more difficult. I am using ie-9 but just kind of work around the problems. I frequently get the message that it has stopped working Sad, just kind of put up with it.

I am glad I got my computers before WIN 8. I don't know much about it, but from what little I have read, don't think I will like it at all. I have some things I wrote for myself in visual fox pro 7 - not sure they will run on 8 - I till be VERY unhappt at the point I have to change if they don't. I think I saw Sam post on FaceBOok something about having troulbe getting it top work without being connected to the internet - think maybe she finally did.

Fay
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

PostSubject: Re: Worried about Virus In Yahoo email??????   Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 5 Empty12/8/2012, 22:52

Repa,

I deleted malwares byes and re-downloaded to my download folder. Went to that to run it. When I clicked it, it askedif I wanted to run the file (it did not ask run or save just asked if I wanted to run) - I clicked run and got the UAC thing. If I run from the download manager - I don't get the question asking if I want to run - I clicked on the run button, so I have one extra window if I go to the download fodler to run - but that does not bother methat much.
It installed and gave me the option for a desktop icon. All seemed to work ok.

Fay
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Worried about Virus In Yahoo email??????   Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 5 Empty12/9/2012, 01:23

It asking you if you want to run and then asking if you wanted to let it make changes comes from Microsoft Security Alerts, I'm pretty sure. Why, if IE9 isn't running would the Download Manager have any effect on what you select to run - doesn't make sense, but you know microsoft. I'm pretty sure what you are seeing are Windows Security Alerts and you can turn that off:

Control Panel > Action Center > Change User Account Settings > on the window that appears, move the sliding bar down to Never Notify and click ok.

IE8 also gets those messages that it has stopped working - sometimes it is a real pain, especially when there are several tabs open. Sometimes one tab will work and another won't. The problem has existed for a long time, and Microsoft doesn't seem to be interested in fixing it. But I'd rather live with IE8 than IE9 - it didn't take me long to uninstall that and go back to IE8.

Thanks for investigating and letting me know what happens with IE9.
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

PostSubject: Re: Worried about Virus In Yahoo email??????   Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 5 Empty12/9/2012, 01:33

Repa,

I am not sure what they are talking about in not being able to run from the download folder. Seems like I did have some kind of problem one time but can not really remember. I really was not aware of the download manger - just went about doing stuff as I always had.
I actually kind of like the UAC, there have been time when I told it no.

Fay
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Worried about Virus In Yahoo email??????   Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 5 Empty12/9/2012, 02:34

1. Repa, I'm just seeing your "Yesterday at 20:08" post & Yesterday at 20:38, since I'm not able to go anywhere but here, & without email notifications, & I didn't know you had replied. The Geeks board, in the Profile here, it won't change my email, when I try. This board has still got my old yahoo email in the Profile on this board. Two screeshots to show you what I mean:

Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 5 Tried_10

Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 5 Just_t10

This reply to your post of Yesterday at 20:08
1. I just changed the settings on Windows Update.
2. Now I'll try to uninstall IE9.

This reply to your post of Yesterday at 20:38
1. I think we're on the same page now, about the Windows Backup and Restore.

2. Sorry if I misunderstood. I'll scrutinize it good if I ever get my scans finished with Malwarebytes, & AdwCleaner.

3. I have uninstalled, & reinstalled, Malwarebytes & AdwCleaner several times trying to get them to do correctly. I came here to post screenshots, but It appears now that IE9 is the culprit. If not, then I've got the screenshots for the whole Malwarebytes download & install to show you. But, If going back to IE 8 takes care of it, the pics won't be necessary.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Worried about Virus In Yahoo email??????   Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 5 Empty12/9/2012, 02:49

1. Here's a screen shot from earlier tonight, after downloading AdwCleaner again. I decided to run a scan to see what would happen. Does this tell you anything?

Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 5 Adwcle12

2. Is AdwCleaner supposed to show up in Programs & Features list? Because it does not, & Malwarebytes does not show up there either, even after it is installed. And, as I mentioned, I uninstalled, & reinstalled, Malwarebytes & AdwCleaner several times Saturday night, trying to get the Malwarebytes Icon, & to see if it would show up in the Programs & Features list.

3. So, do these revelations reveal anything??
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Worried about Virus In Yahoo email??????   Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 5 Empty12/9/2012, 02:57

Repa, I don't see IE 9 in the Programs & Features list, to be able to delete it. What am I missing. Am I overlooking it, is it labeled IE 9 in Programs & Features list. Help.
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Worried about Virus In Yahoo email??????   Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 5 Empty12/9/2012, 03:21

wcturner wrote:
1. Here's a screen shot from earlier tonight, after downloading AdwCleaner again. I decided to run a scan to see what would happen. Does this tell you anything?

Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 5 Adwcle12

2. Is AdwCleaner supposed to show up in Programs & Features list? Because it does not, & Malwarebytes does not show up there either, even after it is installed. And, as I mentioned, I uninstalled, & reinstalled, Malwarebytes & AdwCleaner several times Saturday night, trying to get the Malwarebytes Icon, & to see if it would show up in the Programs & Features list.

3. So, do these revelations reveal anything??

Click the delete button on adwcleaner and run it again to see that those 4 line with searchscopes in them are gone. Do that before uninstalling IE9 if you haven't already done the uninstall.

Adwcleaner does not show in Programs and Features, but Malwarebytes does. Adwcleaner is a stand-alone executable, meaning it doesn't install, you just run it. It downloads as the executable application, not as a setup program.

Uninstall IE9, and IE8 will come back. Run ccleaner using both the cleaner and the registry options. On the registry clean, click Scan for Issues, when done click Fix selected issues. It will ask you if you want to backup the registry changes. Click yes, then click Save to the folder it opens in Windows Explorer, and then select the "Fix all selected issues" button on the little window in the middle of the screen.

Create a new folder called My Downloads on your C drive and then download Malwarebytes to that and run the install. When done, it should show in Programs and Features, which reminds me, you said above that you installed and uninstalled it several times before - how did you do the uninstall if it doesn't show in Programs and Features? Were you using the Malwarebytes Uninstall link in the Start Menu, although I though you said it wasn't making entries there or putting an Icon on the desktop?

I've changed your email address to your gmail one in your profile, so you should start getting board alerts there now.

Last edited by Repa on 12/9/2012, 10:44; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Worried about Virus In Yahoo email??????   Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 5 Empty12/9/2012, 03:26

wcturner wrote:
Repa, I don't see IE 9 in the Programs & Features list, to be able to delete it. What am I missing. Am I overlooking it, is it labeled IE 9 in Programs & Features list. Help.

At the top left of the window, click "View installed Updates" and you should see it by scrolling down through the Windows updates that will now appear there.
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

PostSubject: Re: Worried about Virus In Yahoo email??????   Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 5 Empty12/9/2012, 11:53

I think this is where I got my version of malwarebytes that I downloaded and installed:
http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free/

I first clicked on the icon on the malware link in majorgeeks it took me here:
http://www.malwarebytes.org/lp/malware_lp/?gclid=CLq49vTUjbQCFUqoPAodr2oAKw

It has a button for Buy FUll Version and a butoon for free download
But above the fre download button it says something about
"using the free one time download"
I am not sure what this version does, sounds like it may not actaully install anything.

That did not look like like what I wanted so I got out of that and did a serach and found the above link I posted at the top
It has a button for Free and a button for PRO - I used the one for free.

Fay
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Worried about Virus In Yahoo email??????   Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 5 Empty12/9/2012, 12:56

With 3 people posting here at the same time is getting confusing to my simple mind, I don't know about ya'll...??

Click the delete button on adwcleaner and run it again to see that those 4 line with searchscopes in them are gone. Do you mean when I open adwcleaner up, Click the delete button, & then Run it again? Do that before uninstalling IE9 if you haven't already done the uninstall. I haven't done the uninstall yet.

Adwcleaner does not show in Programs and Features I wasn't sure about AdwCleaner. but Malwarebytes does. Adwcleaner is a stand-alone executable, meaning it doesn't install, you just run it. It downloads as the executable application, not as a setup program.

Uninstall IE9, and IE8 will come back. Run ccleaner using both the cleaner and the registry options. On the registry clean, click Scan for Issues, when done click Fix selected issues. It will ask you if you want to backup the registry changes. Click yes, then click Save to the folder it opens in Windows Explorer, and then select the "Fix all selected issues" button on the little window in the middle of the screen. I'll give it a try, after I Uninstall IE9.

Create a new folder called My Downloads on your C drive and then download Malwarebytes to that and run the install. When done, it should show in Programs and Features, which reminds me, you said above that you installed and uninstalled it several times before - how did you do the uninstall if it doesn't show in Programs and Features? Were you using the Malwarebytes Uninstall link in the Start Menu, although I though you said it wasn't making entries there or putting an Icon on the desktop? I should have said 'DELETED", & DOwnloaded Malwarebytes several times.

I've changed your email address to your gmail one in your profile, so you should start getting board alerts there now. Thanks, but, I need to know how to do it also?? I couldn't get it to work?

Repa said: At the top left of the window, click "View installed Updates" and you should see it by scrolling down through the Windows updates that will now appear there.
Can you walk> me thru it> before I try it, or it won't work> for me?? Is there an> IE9 uninstall button>, or something>?
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Worried about Virus In Yahoo email??????   Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 5 Empty12/9/2012, 13:21

wcturner wrote:
With 3 people posting here at the same time is getting confusing to my simple mind, I don't know about ya'll...??

Fay is being helpful in trying to investigate and solve your Malwarebytes problem. I welcome her assistance.

Click the delete button on adwcleaner and run it again to see that those 4 line with searchscopes in them are gone. Do you mean when I open adwcleaner up, Click the delete button, & then Run it again? Do that before uninstalling IE9 if you haven't already done the uninstall. I haven't done the uninstall yet.

Yes, I'm pretty sure it remembers what was found in the last run and looks at the record you saw then when you open it again. But if it doesn't, run it again and if you still see those entries, click the Delete button and again run it to check to see that they are gone.

Adwcleaner does not show in Programs and Features I wasn't sure about AdwCleaner. but Malwarebytes does. Adwcleaner is a stand-alone executable, meaning it doesn't install, you just run it. It downloads as the executable application, not as a setup program.

Uninstall IE9, and IE8 will come back. Run ccleaner using both the cleaner and the registry options. On the registry clean, click Scan for Issues, when done click Fix selected issues. It will ask you if you want to backup the registry changes. Click yes, then click Save to the folder it opens in Windows Explorer, and then select the "Fix all selected issues" button on the little window in the middle of the screen. I'll give it a try, after I Uninstall IE9.

Create a new folder called My Downloads on your C drive and then download Malwarebytes to that and run the install. When done, it should show in Programs and Features, which reminds me, you said above that you installed and uninstalled it several times before - how did you do the uninstall if it doesn't show in Programs and Features? Were you using the Malwarebytes Uninstall link in the Start Menu, although I though you said it wasn't making entries there or putting an Icon on the desktop? I should have said 'DELETED", & DOwnloaded Malwarebytes several times.

Do your download of Malwarebytes from here:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloadget.php?id=5756&file=9&evp=693ee0b20204960edfd909666f809b26

and pay attention as you install that you see to create a Start Menu entry (I think that's the default) and a desktop icon (also default).

I've changed your email address to your gmail one in your profile, so you should start getting board alerts there now. Thanks, but, I need to know how to do it also?? I couldn't get it to work?

You don't have that option, but I do. You would have to re-register after I delete your account for you to make the change.

Repa said: At the top left of the window, click "View installed Updates" and you should see it by scrolling down through the Windows updates that will now appear there.
Can you walk> me thru it> before I try it, or it won't work> for me?? Is there an> IE9 uninstall button>, or something>?

WC, just do what I said. You will see the entry and you click on it to highlight it and uninstall it, just like any other program entry in Programs and Features. Nothing is different except that the Windows Updates are hidden by default and you have to click that link to display them.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Worried about Virus In Yahoo email??????   Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 5 Empty12/9/2012, 16:22

1. Fay is being helpful in trying to investigate and solve your Malwarebytes problem. I welcome her assistance. Oh, of course, so do I. I meant no harm, this is just very trying to me

2. You will see the entry and you click on it to highlight it and uninstall it, just like any other program entry in Programs and Features. Nothing is different except that the Windows Updates are hidden by default and you have to click that link to display them. That's all I wanted to know.

3. Do your download of Malwarebytes from here: This is a different link than the link you gave me before.? http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloadget.php?id=5756&file=9&evp=693ee0b20204960edfd909666f809b26

4. I'm still apprehensive to surf the internet until I get the System Image re-Created. Your opinion?

5. Since I went to the trouble last night, to create this step by step of screen shots of my download & installation Of Malwarebytes, I want to post them, so you could see the process, that I was having a problem in explaining to you, that I could not get an Icon so I could run scans with the program. I hope they will help someone. Remember these picstures are from yesterday, I have not uninstalled IE9 yet or any of the new instructions today yet. Just FYI.
1. Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 5 Malbyt10

2. Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 5 Mbam_s10

3. Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 5 Mbam_s11

4. Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 5 Mbam_s12

5. Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 5 Mbam_s13

6. Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 5 Mbam_s14

7. Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 5 Mbam_s15

8. Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 5 Mbam_s16

9. Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 5 Mbam_s17

6. Repa, do these pics help any, or did you already know that I could not get the options for icons, or any other options? I hope I did not do these for naught.?

Last edited by wcturner on 12/9/2012, 16:54; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

PostSubject: Re: Worried about Virus In Yahoo email??????   Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 5 Empty12/9/2012, 16:35

WC,

If this confuses you , just ignore it.

The picture you showed above are for a file mbam-rules.exe. I am not sure what that is- but I am pretty sure it is now what you wanted. It did not actauly set up malware byes - that is why you did not get the option for an icon etc.

You need to download from the last link Repa gave. But I am not sure what it did when you ran the filed you downloaded. So you might want to wait and see what REPA think - becuase I am not sure exatly waht it insalled but not malware byes itself. I don't know -but if that is the same thing you did before, that might possible have somthing to do with the corrupted database. Hopefully Repa knows more.

Fay

edit: from the best I have found so far - the mbam-rules.exe that you iamges refer to, does havve to do with updating the database. You should not need that, when you download he actual setup file, it should have everything you need. I am still not sure what it may have created when you ran it.

Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Worried about Virus In Yahoo email??????   Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 5 Empty12/9/2012, 17:08

Ok, I just posted above that the new link to Malwarebytes at majorgeeks that Repa posted in his 12:21 post was different than the link he gave recently & the link that I've been using to download, what I thought was Malwarebytes.

Here's is that link that I copied from one of Repa's posts in the last couple of weeks, & the link I've used the last several days to try to download Malwarebytes .
http://majorgeeks.com/downloadget.php?id=6025&file=1&evp=66cf1a9b85d25ae91ecbc7f4e2cd2cd1 WRONG LINK!!!

I'll try to find Repa's post where I copied it if I can. It was either in this thread or in the "My New Computer" thread.

Last edited by wcturner on 12/10/2012, 00:41; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Worried about Virus In Yahoo email??????   Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 5 Empty12/9/2012, 19:18

wcturner wrote:
1. Fay is being helpful in trying to investigate and solve your Malwarebytes problem. I welcome her assistance. Oh, of course, so do I. I meant no harm, this is just very trying to me

2. You will see the entry and you click on it to highlight it and uninstall it, just like any other program entry in Programs and Features. Nothing is different except that the Windows Updates are hidden by default and you have to click that link to display them. That's all I wanted to know.

3. Do your download of Malwarebytes from here: This is a different link than the link you gave me before.? http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloadget.php?id=5756&file=9&evp=693ee0b20204960edfd909666f809b26

4. I'm still apprehensive to surf the internet until I get the System Image re-Created. Your opinion?

Create your backups and then surf. If anything happens after that, you can restore to exactly what your hard drive looks like at the time the backup image is made.

5. Since I went to the trouble last night, to create this step by step of screen shots of my download & installation Of Malwarebytes, I want to post them, so you could see the process, that I was having a problem in explaining to you, that I could not get an Icon so I could run scans with the program. I hope they will help someone. Remember these picstures are from yesterday, I have not uninstalled IE9 yet or any of the new instructions today yet. Just FYI.

6. Repa, do these pics help any, or did you already know that I could not get the options for icons, or any other options? I hope I did not do these for naught.?

You are not downloading Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. The Malwarebytes Anti-malware setup program is named mbam-setup-1.65.1.1000.exe, not mbam-rules.exe. Mbam-rules.exe is the manual Malwarebytes database installer that you can use to force an update if you are having problems with getting the program to update. Get rid of that download and its install before you run ccleaner with the instructions I gave you earlier, or if you have, delete that thing and rerun ccleaner with those instructions. To download the right setup program, use the link that I gave you above. You will immediately get the download screen and it will give you the choice to run or save. Select "Save as" from the pull down menu. Now that I see what you were doing, you can save it to your Downloads folder or create the new one I suggested, your choice. You shouldn't have any problems now. Make sure also that during the install, if given the option to try the free trial of the pro version for 14 days that you don't select it, just use the free version which will not activate the realtime monitoring.

Last edited by Repa on 12/9/2012, 19:31; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Worried about Virus In Yahoo email??????   Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 5 Empty12/9/2012, 19:25

wcturner wrote:
Ok, I just posted above that the new link to Malwarebytes at majorgeeks that Repa posted in his 12:21 post was different than the link he gave recently & the link that I've been using to download, what I thought was Malwarebytes.

Here's is that link that I copied from one of Repa's posts in the last couple of weeks, & the link I've used the last several days to try to download Malwarebytes .
http://majorgeeks.com/downloadget.php?id=6025&file=1&evp=66cf1a9b85d25ae91ecbc7f4e2cd2cd1

I'll try to find Repa's post where I copied it if I can. It was either in this thread or in the "My New Computer" thread.

WC, if I gave you that download link, I must have been asleep. That is not the right link; so sorry if I did that, I don't remember it.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Worried about Virus In Yahoo email??????   Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 5 Empty12/9/2012, 20:47

1. WC, if I gave you that download link, I must have been asleep. That is not the right link; so sorry if I did that, I don't remember it. It was either in this thread or in the "My New Computer" thread, because I copied it in the thread and pasted it in one of my desktop WordPad documents.

2. And, the last couple of days, another of my wordpad my documents, the "Church Stuff" began running really slow, & took probably 1 to 2 minutes to open, and IE was not Responding every time when it was running slow. Included in that Church wordpad was a link to this MBoard, & I would just click it to come here. I also had included that link for Mbam-rules.exe in that same wordpad. Plus when I had that wordpad open it behaved strange, (eg) the scrolling would be jerky, it would just keep going & would not stop, then it would go off in the opposite direction, as up & down. So, I don't know what could've caused the churchstuff wordpad to slow down like it did, or the strange things. So, then I copied the contents & pasted into a new Wordpad, deleted the old one, hoping that would fix the slow problem. Then I restarted the computer. It seemed to work some better, but haven't had the chance to try it much yet.

3. I'm going to post my AdwCleaner file from today, after I opened it up, & clicked "Delete" & the text boxes that popped up with that, & the file from yesterday for u to compare.
1. Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 5 Untitl10

2. Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 5 After_10

3. Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 5 Tips_f10

4. Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 5 Adwcle10

5. Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 5 Adwcle11

4. Get rid of that download and its install before you run ccleaner with the instructions I gave you earlier I hope you mean after delete install & download, then Run ccleaner, then do the instructions?
Man, the more I get done the further I get behind. This stuff is driving me crazy. I'll never buy another computer, wish I didn't have this one!
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Worried about Virus In Yahoo email??????   Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 5 Empty12/9/2012, 21:10

Repa, I just realized that there's no install just the download in "Downloads, so i'm gonna delete that and then run cleaner. I hope that's correct?
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Worried about Virus In Yahoo email??????   Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 5 Empty12/9/2012, 21:19

wcturner wrote:
1. [color=darkred]3. I'm going to post my AdwCleaner file from today, after I opened it up, & clicked "Delete" & the text boxes that popped up with that, & the file from yesterday for u to compare.

It looks like one of the 4 keys wasn't deleted. I only see 3 deleted keys. Run it again and if that key shows, try deleting it again and then run again. If it appears the 2nd time, try running adwcleaner in safe mode and see if you can delete it there. If not, we may have to go into the registry. affraid

4. Get rid of that download and its install before you run ccleaner with the instructions I gave you earlier I hope you mean after delete install & download, then Run ccleaner, then do the instructions?

Yes.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Worried about Virus In Yahoo email??????   Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Worried about Virus In Yahoo email??????
Page 5 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next