Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. SORRY! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REGISTER; YOUR REQUEST WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Worried about Virus In Yahoo email??????

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Worried about Virus In Yahoo email??????   Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 2 Empty11/29/2012, 20:09

The setup program for Malwarebytes should still be in your My Downloads. If it isn't, you can download it from here:

http://majorgeeks.com/downloadget.php?id=6025&file=1&evp=66cf1a9b85d25ae91ecbc7f4e2cd2cd1

Looks like you are making progress.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Number of posts : 1165
Humor : Yes
Registration date : 2009-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Worried about Virus In Yahoo email??????   Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 2 Empty11/29/2012, 21:06

1A. The setup program for Malwarebytes should still be in your My Downloads. Setup was still there, but, frankly, I was afraid to use it, because I don't know any better. I was afraid that it was corrupted, or something. Is that possible?

1B. I went to Malwarebytes.org, cause I could not find it at MajorGeeks, & I was sent to C/Net, which I hope you will tell me that site was OK & a safe site???

2. After I got Malwarebytes reinstalled, I was thinking that it would be removed from my downloads, but, when I saw it still in there, I remembered that I would need to manually delete it. So, that's what I'll do when finished here. Is that OK?

3. I've got 2 Malwarebytes screenshots, first one saying the Data base is outdated by 60 days. Now how could that be true when I've been updating every day or 2 since I've had this problem???

Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 2 Malbyt10

Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 2 Mal_up10

4. I hope the Malwarebytes install is OK.??? I plan to go into Safe Mode when finished here & run a full scan there.

5. I find it difficult to get into Safe Mode with this new computer. I saw, I guess it was in Windows Help, that to enter Safe Mode with this computer & Win. 7, that I should hold the F8 key down. Today that did not work, & I finally got it for the first time, to enter Safe Mode from a Restart, but, I was tapping the F8 key. I tried to go to safe mode before I came back here from a Reboot & it didn't work. I don't get a flickering white light on the edges of the black screen as I did in XP. Methinks it's gonna take some getting used to regarding safe mode entry!? I liked the additional warning of the flickering light just before start up on XP.

6. After that, Step 5 of instructions will be complete.

Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Worried about Virus In Yahoo email??????   Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 2 Empty11/29/2012, 22:12

Just completed Step 5 of instructions. The full scan of Malwarebytes in safe mode found no threats, but, I'm not sure if I right the icon to run it as Administrator. I'm about 50/50 sure about that point. I'll leave it here for now til i hear from you again. Thanks Edit: please check my post above also.
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Worried about Virus In Yahoo email??????   Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 2 Empty11/29/2012, 23:13

wcturner wrote:
1A. The setup program for Malwarebytes should still be in your My Downloads. Setup was still there, but, frankly, I was afraid to use it, because I don't know any better. I was afraid that it was corrupted, or something. Is that possible?

1B. I went to Malwarebytes.org, cause I could not find it at MajorGeeks, & I was sent to C/Net, which I hope you will tell me that site was OK & a safe site???

I gave you the direct download link to Malwarebytes at majorgeeks and checked it to be sure. CNet is probably ok, but I look for other download sites as I have read that they don't always thoroughly check stuff that is put there for downloads. Your install is probably fine - go ahead and run it.

2. After I got Malwarebytes reinstalled, I was thinking that it would be removed from my downloads, but, when I saw it still in there, I remembered that I would need to manually delete it. So, that's what I'll do when finished here. Is that OK?

If you don't want to keep the setup program.

3. I've got 2 Malwarebytes screenshots, first one saying the Data base is outdated by 60 days. Now how could that be true when I've been updating every day or 2 since I've had this problem???

You had a corrupted database problem, remember? No telling what that did. Your second screen print looks ok, so go ahead and run Malwarebytes in safe mode full scan and if it doesn't find anything come back here for further cleanup instructions before going elsewhere or to your email.

5. I find it difficult to get into Safe Mode with this new computer. I saw, I guess it was in Windows Help, that to enter Safe Mode with this computer & Win. 7, that I should hold the F8 key down. Today that did not work, & I finally got it for the first time, to enter Safe Mode from a Restart, but, I was tapping the F8 key. I tried to go to safe mode before I came back here from a Reboot & it didn't work. I don't get a flickering white light on the edges of the black screen as I did in XP. Methinks it's gonna take some getting used to regarding safe mode entry!? I liked the additional warning of the flickering light just before start up on XP.

When your screen goes black on restart, or as soon as your system starts from a cold start, start tappiing the F8 key rapidly to get into safe mode or hold it down, whichever works best.

6. After that, Step 5 of instructions will be complete.

Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Worried about Virus In Yahoo email??????   Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 2 Empty11/30/2012, 03:12

1. I gave you the direct download link to Malwarebytes at majorgeeks and checked it to be sure. Yes, but, when I came back here, & saw your majorgeeks link, I had already downloaded it at C/net & installed it.

2. You had a corrupted database problem, remember? No telling what that did. Yes, I do remember, that's what I was talking about "being afraid to use it". What I meant was, I assumed that if the database was corrupted, then the setup program would be corrupted also. I guess I would be wrong about that, & the setup program that had remained in my downloads, would not be corrupted, & would have been OK to use for the Re-Install, is that right???

3. Your second screen print looks ok, so go ahead and run Malwarebytes in safe mode full scan and if it doesn't find anything come back here for further cleanup instructions before going elsewhere or to your email. You must have missed my post just above your last post that I wrote at "Yesterday at 21:12". I said; "The full scan of Malwarebytes in safe mode found no threats". You see, I had already done the scan with Malwarebytes in safe mode before you wrote your last post that's just above this one. Do you mean I should do it again? And, this board is the only place I've been coming to, except major geeks, & C/net for those downloads, & I'm ready for further, final cleanup.

4. When your screen goes black on restart, or as soon as your system starts from a cold start, start tappiing the F8 key rapidly to get into safe mode or hold it down This new machine, so far, has not been consistant in how it wants to go into safe mode. Guess I'll just have to keep playing with it to see if I can figure it out.

5. Since Malwarebytes found no threats in safe mode, unless you want me to run it again in safe mode, I guess I'm ready for further cleanup instructions...??
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Worried about Virus In Yahoo email??????   Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 2 Empty11/30/2012, 12:56

Ok, everything seems to be ok. Sorry about missing your post on Malwarebytes. We are done looking for malware. Now, let's flush your restore points to get rid of anything bad that was saved during the time you were having problems.

1. On your desktop, right-click Computer > Properties > System Protection. Select your C drive to highlight it. Select Configure. On the screen that appears, select Delete near the bottom-right of the window > click Continue on the pop-up screen that appears > Click Ok to get out of that Window.

2. On the remaining screen, select Create and follow the prompts to create a new restore point.

Now you can surf. When you go to your Yahoo email account, I suggest you immediately go to your account settings and change your password to a very strong password consisting of up to 14 upper and lower case letters, numbers, and special characters (#,$,@). Do not use words - select the arrangement of letters, numbers and special characters randomly, and write it down somewhere so you will remember what you did. If you entered private information to answer questions from Yahoo in the event you are unable to get into your yahoo account and need help, change those questions/information.

If I were you, I would delete everything in your email boxes (Inbox, Outbox, Junk Mail, etc., whatever boxes you have). If you don't want to delete everything, then only open mail that is from someone you absolutely trust and delete the rest.

This should do it. Be aware over the next few days of anything out of the ordinary that occurs and make a note of it: full description of the problem, what you were doing at the time, and the application(s) you had open at the time. Remember that a lot of problems are resolved by doing a system restore to an earlier date if you do it when you first notice a problem. Be careful of where you go on the internet. There's bad people out there just waiting for you to cross their path! affraid (lol) Just kidding!
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Worried about Virus In Yahoo email??????   Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 2 Empty11/30/2012, 17:07

A. Do you think the eBay.lnk thing we deleted was the cause of all this?

B. I deleted the first Malwarebytes setup, that I used when beginning on this new computer. And, I'm thinking about deleting that C/Net setup, & uninstalling it, & going to majorgeeks using the link you provided me with, just to be sure all's OK with Malwarebytes. What's your take on this?

And, Here's a couple things I haven't finished from instructions on setting up this new computer.
1. I didn't get to do #14, the black viper stuff.

2. Didn't get to do #21, create backup Image. And, last weekend, my daughter & wife were shopping, & had heard me mention an external hard drive, so they came home with one. Can we talk about that later?

Now for a couple items you had mentioned for finishing up on this virus thing.
1. Repa said: we'll need to restore your HP Support Assistant and make sure your Services settings are set back correctly for the HP services you changed in that other thread.

2. Got to Re-Hide those files & folders that were hidden.

3. Can you think of anything else that you had mentioned doing to finish up?
Thanks.

There's bad people out there just waiting for you to cross their path! That would be funny if it weren't true.
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Worried about Virus In Yahoo email??????   Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 2 Empty11/30/2012, 19:12

wcturner wrote:
A. Do you think the eBay.lnk thing we deleted was the cause of all this?

Could be - I don't know. Hopefully all is ok now.

B. I deleted the first Malwarebytes setup, that I used when beginning on this new computer. And, I'm thinking about deleting that C/Net setup, & uninstalling it, & going to majorgeeks using the link you provided me with, just to be sure all's OK with Malwarebytes. What's your take on this?

I think what you have now is fine.

And, Here's a couple things I haven't finished from instructions on setting up this new computer.
1. I didn't get to do #14, the black viper stuff.

2. Didn't get to do #21, create backup Image. And, last weekend, my daughter & wife were shopping, & had heard me mention an external hard drive, so they came home with one. Can we talk about that later?

Now for a couple items you had mentioned for finishing up on this virus thing.
1. Repa said: we'll need to restore your HP Support Assistant and make sure your Services settings are set back correctly for the HP services you changed in that other thread.

2. Got to Re-Hide those files & folders that were hidden.

3. Can you think of anything else that you had mentioned doing to finish up?
Thanks.

No, I'd forgotten about those, glad you remembered. Do them as you have time.

There's bad people out there just waiting for you to cross their path! That would be funny if it weren't true.

Last edited by Repa on 11/30/2012, 19:15; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Worried about Virus In Yahoo email??????   Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 2 Empty11/30/2012, 19:13

1. I've got one post above for you to see, & I'll get ahead again here..

2. Screen shots:

Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 2 Restor10

Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 2 Restor11

Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 2 New_re10

3. The old restores deleted on the 2nd. try, but, I didn't expect them to actually delete. For anybody else, YES, but, not for me. That's why I get uptight about doing this computer stuff. For some reason it doesn't seem to work out for me. Something always pops up outta the blue, that should not pop up. It should go ahead & complete like it is intended to do! Why does it always happen to me???????? Wink

4. Look up at the post above this one, please.

Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Worried about Virus In Yahoo email??????   Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 2 Empty11/30/2012, 19:20

1. Repa said: we'll need to restore your HP Support Assistant and make sure your Services settings are set back correctly for the HP services you changed in that other thread. If you get a chance, can you give me instructions on how to do this, & maybe I can get it done this weekend?

2.About changing my yahoo password, I changed it on 10/20/2012, to 15 characters, just as you suggested in your earlier post today, using upper and lower case letters, numbers, and special characters. Do you still feel I should change it again, I can if you think it's warranted?

Last edited by wcturner on 11/30/2012, 19:34; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

Number of posts : 1480
Registration date : 2008-10-17
Mood : none

PostSubject: Re: Worried about Virus In Yahoo email??????   Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 2 Empty11/30/2012, 19:26

WC.

I have a friend that feels about comuters the same way you do. She said somthing is always going wrong. So you are not alone.

Fay
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Worried about Virus In Yahoo email??????   Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 2 Empty11/30/2012, 23:07

Go to Control Panel, Programs & Features.Select HP Support Assistant and uninstall it. Restart your machine after removing it.

Next download the HP Support Assistant installation software for your machine (the one that says "Home and Business Desktops") from here:

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html

Click the link that says "Home and business desktops" near the top right side of the page to start the download and save it to your "My Downloads" folder. When the download is complete, start the application and follow the instructions given to do the install.

Note: for information purposes about the HP Support Assistant, you might want to take a look at the short video that's just below the download link for the HP Support Assistant

Do #14 if you want to. If you are happy with the way things are running, then it isn't critical to do that step.

Do #21 now that you have an external hard drive. Use it for both image backups of your partition and important folder and file backups.

With the problem you had with your yahoo email account, what I said is the least I would do even if I changed my password last week. I would be inclined to delete the account altogether and establish a new account, but I didn't think you would like that idea very much. Still, if you were opening an email when those blocks occurred and only then, it is certainly possible that only certain contacts are sending you bad emails, and even possibly without being aware of it. You'll have to decide just how cautious you want to be with this.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Worried about Virus In Yahoo email??????   Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 2 Empty12/1/2012, 00:19

Do #21 now that you have an external hard drive. Use it for both image backups of your partition and important folder and file backups. When should I begin using the external hard drive, after I finish the last few things I need to do? I'll probably need you to help me get it set up & going, if you will?? I don't know the first thing about them???

With the problem you had with your yahoo email account, what I said is the least I would do even if I changed my password last week. I would be inclined to delete the account altogether and establish a new account, but I didn't think you would like that idea very much. Still, if you were opening an email when those blocks occurred and only then, it is certainly possible that only certain contacts are sending you bad emails, and even possibly without being aware of it. You'll have to decide just how cautious you want to be with this. Oh, I'm very cautious & serious! Today, even after you said "Now you can surf", I've been reluctant to go back to my yahoo email. I had thought about deleteing the account altogether and establishing a new account, but, don't know really where to start.? Especially, since there's some stuff on the account I wanted to keep, not to mention email addresses. I definitely don't want more infections, but, hate to lose all the stuff I was wanting to keep. Is there any way to do that, or not? It seems that I'm caught between a rock & a hard place.
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Worried about Virus In Yahoo email??????   Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 2 Empty12/1/2012, 09:46

wcturner wrote:
Do #21 now that you have an external hard drive. Use it for both image backups of your partition and important folder and file backups. When should I begin using the external hard drive, after I finish the last few things I need to do? I'll probably need you to help me get it set up & going, if you will?? I don't know the first thing about them???

You shouldn't need any help, they come with directions and usually with their own backup software. Think of it as another partition on your internal hard drive that you will see with a new letter such as an E:\ drive where you can create folders, save files to, etc. Instead of saving a file to C:\Documents, the equivalent would be D:\Documents where you will have created a folder named Documents, or made a copy of your C:\Documents folder on D:\ by copy and paste or drag and drop. Your daughter can probably help you set it up if you have questions after reading, but it's really pretty much a plug and play deal. Do the image backup after you set the Services parameters if you still intend to do that, but do it soon - it should be the first backup you do, and then do backup copies of your folders that contain important files such as pictures, documents and favorites that you don't want to lose. There is probably software with your external hard drive that will make that an easy task that you can schedule daily or weekly to occur without you having to do anything after the initial setup. You will want to also make a new image backup of your internal hard drive in the future after making significant changes to your computer such as adding new programs or drivers for new devices such as a scanner or camera.

With the problem you had with your yahoo email account, what I said is the least I would do even if I changed my password last week. I would be inclined to delete the account altogether and establish a new account, but I didn't think you would like that idea very much. Still, if you were opening an email when those blocks occurred and only then, it is certainly possible that only certain contacts are sending you bad emails, and even possibly without being aware of it. You'll have to decide just how cautious you want to be with this. Oh, I'm very cautious & serious! Today, even after you said "Now you can surf", I've been reluctant to go back to my yahoo email. I had thought about deleteing the account altogether and establishing a new account, but, don't know really where to start.? Especially, since there's some stuff on the account I wanted to keep, not to mention email addresses. I definitely don't want more infections, but, hate to lose all the stuff I was wanting to keep. Is there any way to do that, or not? It seems that I'm caught between a rock & a hard place.

I don't have a yahoo account and so can't guide you step by step if you want to delete your account and save parts of it, but Fay should be able to help you. I'm just not sure what was going on with that email account and since your wife had no problems, and after thinking about it some more, I'm inclined to think that it was coming from some of your contacts since you said it only happened when you opened an email. If you had a trojan or a rootkit on there that was causing a redirect to bad sites when using your browser and going to yahoo mail, I'd think your wife would have experienced that also, or if the site itself was infected. If just your email account was infected (not sure how just that happens), you would have experienced that without opening emails. So, to be extra cautious, you either can delete the email account and set up a new one by importing contacts and emails you want to save (Fay should be able to help you with that), or just reset your password and personal information and delete all emails except those you want to keep and are very sure of the contact that sent them, just to be cautious. Remember that trusted sites can become infected, and contacts that have in the passed been trusted can become infected without their even knowing it. You computer is set up to give you the best possible protection with free software that you can get, so now it's up to you do to do the additional "filtering" required regarding where you go on the internet and which sites and contacts to trust.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Worried about Virus In Yahoo email??????   Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 2 Empty12/1/2012, 14:48

Looks like I've got some decisions to make. Now that it seems this problem is taken care of I can get to the hard drive. I'll keep ya'll updated here.
Thanks

Repa, I need you to clarify this for me:

1. Repa said: I always have hidden files and folders and hidden protected system files set to be revealed and the default is to not have them revealed. Please tell me if I'm understanding you corectly. You keep yours set to always be revealed, so if you're looking for malware, you don't have to go & change them to be showing, you are ready to run the scans from the git go, correct?

2. I changed my "Hide protected operating system files (recommended)", back to hidden, & after I did that, those Icons on the desk top removed themselves, after I Re-Hid them, which is what I expected.

3. Do you think I should go ahead & "Re-Hide" the others that are still revealed, or just leave them?

Edit: 1. I was going to do your instructions regarding the uninstall & the Re-installation of HP Support Assistant , but I got to thinking that maybe the System Restore fixed that also. The other day sometime after the System Restore, the blue circle with white question mark reappeared in the task bar, & I have not had any problems with it since. Is there any way of knowing if it is still a problem with it? I don't want to have to do the uninstall if it's not necessary? thanks

Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Worried about Virus In Yahoo email??????   Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 2 Empty12/1/2012, 17:30

wcturner wrote:
Looks like I've got some decisions to make. Now that it seems this problem is taken care of I can get to the hard drive. I'll keep ya'll updated here.
Thanks

Repa, I need you to clarify this for me:

1. Repa said: I always have hidden files and folders and hidden protected system files set to be revealed and the default is to not have them revealed. Please tell me if I'm understanding you corectly. You keep yours set to always be revealed, so if you're looking for malware, you don't have to go & change them to be showing, you are ready to run the scans from the git go, correct?

2. I changed my "Hide protected operating system files (recommended)", back to hidden, & after I did that, those Icons on the desk top removed themselves, after I Re-Hid them, which is what I expected.

3. Do you think I should go ahead & "Re-Hide" the others that are still revealed, or just leave them?

Answer to 1) 2) 3) WC, I do that because I know what they are and what not to do with them. I can also recognize when I see something new that wasn't there before and I investigate it to see what it is and if it resulted from something new I may have installed or not. Someone other than you may see them and wonder what they are and decide they don't belong there and delete them, or inadvertantly delete them or decide to click on them when they shouldn't. So, you'll have to decide whether to take that chance or not. The chance of something going wrong is certainly minimized by re-hiding the system files as not many others are going to show where it is obvious. Furthermore, no one is around here to mess with my computers except Frances, and she has her own laptop and an IPAD, so she doesn't touch mine and won't do anything with hers that she doesn't understand. When my grandkids come, there is only one computer they are allowed on, and they have their own toys now and prefer them, so I don't have that problem.

Edit: 1. I was going to do your instructions regarding the uninstall & the Re-installation of HP Support Assistant , but I got to thinking that maybe the System Restore fixed that also. The other day sometime after the System Restore, the blue circle with white question mark reappeared in the task bar, & I have not had any problems with it since. Is there any way of knowing if it is still a problem with it? I don't want to have to do the uninstall if it's not necessary? thanks

Click on the HP Support Assistant and bring it up, mess around with it for a while, and if it works ok and you don't get that message you were getting, then don't fix it.

Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Worried about Virus In Yahoo email??????   Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 2 Empty12/1/2012, 19:47

Thanks for the confirmation!

1. Finally got this external hard drive outta the box. It was on sale for $39.95. It is a Toshiba Portable Canvio Basics 3.0, USB 3.0 & 2.0, 500GB. I'm surprised how small it is, 4.7" x 3.1", & I think that's a good thing!. The little manual is pretty much useless, like all this Tech stuff these days, it all seems to be online or software. I prefer a real book to hold in my hands! It's printed in several languages, and in the front where the United States(English) was shown first, all that's mentioned is system requirements, warranty, etc. There's several other English speaking sections listed, Canada, Australia, New Zealand.

2. Also, written on the front of the box it says Plug & Play Operation, Drag & Drop Use, & it's got 500, then below that is GB/GO, & next to the "B" in GB, & next to the "O" in GO a small cross is printed. Maybe you know what that means?

3. Finally, while turning pages to see if there might be some instructions of some kind, I came across South & SouthEast Asia (English). Would you believe that's the only place where Installation Instructions(Windows) was mentioned in the whole booklet.? It only consists of 4 items. Make sure it is connected to your computer with USB cable. And, sounds like that places an Icon on desktop, which you click, & carries you through some type of setup.

4. A USB 3.0 cable(compatible with USB 2.0 Computers) was included. My Compaq has 2 USB Ports on the front, & it says USB 2.0 in between them. Correct me if I'm wrong, but, I think I can use either of these ports for this cable...?

5. I still haven't done any surfing yet. I plan to try to get this hard drive going & copy the hard drive image, & try to make sure the HP Support Assistant is OK, or else go on & uninstall & the Re-installation, before surfing internet. You think that would be best?

6. This Toshiba should do alright for my purposes, correct?
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Worried about Virus In Yahoo email??????   Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 2 Empty12/1/2012, 20:21

wcturner wrote:
Thanks for the confirmation!

2. Also, written on the front of the box it says Plug & Play Operation, Drag & Drop Use, & it's got 500, then below that is GB/GO, & next to the "B" in GB, & next to the "O" in GO a small cross is printed. Maybe you know what that means?

No

3. Finally, while turning pages to see if there might be some instructions of some kind, I came across South & SouthEast Asia (English). Would you believe that's the only place where Installation Instructions(Windows) was mentioned in the whole booklet.? It only consists of 4 items. Make sure it is connected to your computer with USB cable. And, sounds like that places an Icon on desktop, which you click, & carries you through some type of setup.

4. A USB 3.0 cable(compatible with USB 2.0 Computers) was included. My Compaq has 2 USB Ports on the front, & it says USB 2.0 in between them. Correct me if I'm wrong, but, I think I can use either of these ports for this cable...?

Either one

5. I still haven't done any surfing yet. I plan to try to get this hard drive going & copy the hard drive image, & try to make sure the HP Support Assistant is OK, or else go on & uninstall & the Re-installation, before surfing internet. You think that would be best?

That's fine

6. This Toshiba should do alright for my purposes, correct?

should be

Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Worried about Virus In Yahoo email??????   Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 2 Empty12/2/2012, 00:00

Repa,
Another "One Bites The Dust"! After the Download, I went to C:\ Drive, & Downloads, to make sure the App was there. When I first hovered the Mouse over the App, the balloon said "Partial Download". Then a minute or so later, hovered again, & this time no mention of a "Partial Download". I guess maybe it had not finished downloading upon first hover?????? Anyway, it says it installed.

But, that's the reason I ask a lot of these, what you probably consider "dumb questions", is for my future Info, just so I'll know. I'm trying to be more alert, & pay more attention to details when doing this stuff, & maybe some of it will rub off on me.

Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 2 Hp_sup11

At least I got this done tonight, I'm probably finished for the night though.
thanks
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Worried about Virus In Yahoo email??????   Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 2 Empty12/2/2012, 15:28

Regarding the creating of an image of my hard drive, should I have my yahoo email the way I want it, either delete it altogether & create a new account, or keep it & clean it up some, before I create the image of my hard drive?

I'm still not sure what to do yet.......thanks

Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Worried about Virus In Yahoo email??????   Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 2 Empty12/2/2012, 18:21

1. Got 2 posts above, not sure u saw, but, I just found a question while looking in control panel, about create system image. Under "BackUp" it says "Windows Backup has not been set up. Then over to the right it says,"Set Up Back Up".

2.Then, below that is "Restore". It says "Windows could not find a backup for this computer. To the right, next to a "Shield", It says: Select another BackUp to restore files from
Recover System or your computer".

3. I wasn't aware of this stuff. Can you please advise on how to proceed here??

thanks
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Worried about Virus In Yahoo email??????   Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 2 Empty12/2/2012, 21:18

wcturner wrote:
Regarding the creating of an image of my hard drive, should I have my yahoo email the way I want it, either delete it altogether & create a new account, or keep it & clean it up some, before I create the image of my hard drive?

I'm still not sure what to do yet.......thanks

Yahoo mail is not on your hard drive, it is on a server at yahoo.com, so it doesn't matter which you do first, but you shouldn't delay taking care of the yahoo account, whatever you decided to do there.

Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Worried about Virus In Yahoo email??????   Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 2 Empty12/2/2012, 22:02

wcturner wrote:
1. Got 2 posts above, not sure u saw, but, I just found a question while looking in control panel, about create system image. Under "BackUp" it says "Windows Backup has not been set up. Then over to the right it says,"Set Up Back Up".

2.Then, below that is "Restore". It says "Windows could not find a backup for this computer. To the right, next to a "Shield", It says: Select another BackUp to restore files from
Recover System or your computer".

3. I wasn't aware of this stuff. Can you please advise on how to proceed here??

thanks

1. This tells you how to create an image of your hard drive in Windows 7:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5783794_create-windows-backup-image.html

Scroll down to where the instructions are for Windows 7. This is for when you are unable to boot into windows and you need to restore your hard drive to the point where the image was made, which is later than what you would get with the Recovery disks you created which takes you all the way back to when you first bought your computer. The image file will contain everything you have done up to now to set up your computer, clean it up and get rid of the hp bloatware, settings, favorites data files and all windows updates you’ve done to that point. In other words, it saves you a lot of work and time over using the Recovery disks – they are a last resort.

2. You will also need to create a Boot Repair disk in order to use the image file and you can learn about how to do that here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Create-a-system-repair-disc

3. This tells you how to restore your system from your Windows 7 backup image:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/7702/restoring-windows-7-from-an-image-backup/

4. This tells you how to use Windows Backup and Recovery to backup important data files and folders such as Favorites, Pictures, and important Documents:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/1838/using-backup-and-restore-in-windows-7/

5. You can also find all of the above information on your computer by left - clicking Computer on your desktop > Help > View Help, and then typing “system backup and recovery” in the text box at the top of the window that appears and press Enter. Select the topic you want to know about from the list that appears.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: Worried about Virus In Yahoo email??????   Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 2 Empty12/2/2012, 23:17

Repa, Won't I need to do your above instructions, before I try to create my system image?
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: Worried about Virus In Yahoo email??????   Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 2 Empty12/2/2012, 23:25

Which instructions are you talking about WC? I thought you were ready to start doing your backups.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Worried about Virus In Yahoo email??????   Worried about Virus In Yahoo email?????? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Worried about Virus In Yahoo email??????
Page 2 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next