Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. SORRY! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REGISTER; YOUR REQUEST WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Number of posts : 1165
Humor : Yes
Registration date : 2009-10-26

After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 5 Empty11/9/2011, 15:15

I got the CD drawer to open. I didn't have to use the paper clip method, but, even now, it doesn't open every time. After opening & closing several times, it is working better. Upon inserting a CD, the player works. I couldn't believe it could be stuck, because I used it just the other day, & it has never stuck before. Oh, well.

So, do you want me to continue then, with the instructions you posted Yesterday at 12:48? I assume I should leave the "Uninstall Sonic Update Manager", UN-INSTALLED, and proceed where I left off? Yesterday, I was ready to:> Set another new new Restore point and call it "Change MSCONFIG settings". I need to begin there, CORRECT?
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 5 Empty11/9/2011, 20:10

Yes, forget about the restore and start at the next step which I've copied and posted below:

Set another new Restore point and call it "Change MSCONFIG settings"
1. Click Start > Run and type msconfig in the text box and click ok
2. Open the Startup tab in the msconfig window.
3. Uncheck all boxes in the msconfig startup tab EXCEPT the following:

RECGUARD
NvCpl
ps2
jusched
AvastUI
MSASCui
EKIJ5000MUI
rundll32
ctfmon

All of the above need to be checked.

4. Now, go back to the beginning and consider whether or not to recheck the following boxes based on what I tell you about them below:

KBD - needed only if you use the multimedia keys on your keyboard. These buttons on your keyboard will have labels like "Burn CD/DVD, Help, Email, Search, Favorites, Connect, Internet, Shortcut 1, Shopping, Entertainment, People, Finance", etc.

mbamgui - this is malwarebytes' realtime protection, but it will only work for the trial period and then you will have to purchase malwarebytes to keep this feature active. The free version will not have this feature active after the trial period. I recommend you use malwarebytes only as a scanner during maintenance periods and leave this unchecked.

SUPERAntiSpyware - same situation as malwarebytes above. Will not be active after the trial period. There is a Realtime Protection Tab in SuperAntiSpyare where you can enable or disable realtime protection. It won't work in the free version after the trial period is over. You should also have unchecked the first 2 boxes under Startup Options on the General and Startup tab in SuperAntiSpywarfe.

spamsubtract - needed only if you use an email client on your computer like Outlook or Outlook Express to download the email files from your ISP server to your computer before you open them to read them. If you use email services like gmail or hotmail, then you don't need this enabled at startup.

5. Click ok to close msconfig and reboot your computer.

6. Run you computer, go on the internet, and check to see if everything you typically do is working ok. Report back to here any problems.

7. If everything looks ok, let me know that too and we'll address the Kodak printer next.

Questions about the printer I need to know before we start with that are:

1. Will certain colors print, and not others? Have you checked to see that the new cartridges you put in have their plastic strip removed from the ink nozzle, and that they are seated properly in their mount?

2. In each account check the print queue to see if there is anything there. To do this, open the Control Panel > Printers and Faxes > and double-click on your printer icon. In the window that opens, look to see if any document files are there waiting to be printed. If there are, select the first document by clicking on it and then click Documents on the menu bar and select Cancel. It may take a little while, and if it doesn't seem to take, repeat clicking Cancel until the document disappears. Do this for each document in the print que until they are all gone. Then close the windows and see if you can now print a document. If you still can't print documents,

3. Do you have a test mode that you can go into to check to see that the printer is working properly, and is there a troubleshooting mode? There should be a Nozzle Check there to see if all your colors are printing correctly, and a Cleaning operation to clean your print nozzles if they aren't all printing correctly. What are the results of running this test?

4. What does the troubleshooting mode tell you if you work through its wizard? To find these test/troubleshooting modes, go to the control panel and click on the Printer and Faxes Icon. Right-click on your printer and select Properties from the popup menu. On the window that opens there should be some tabs. One will say something like Maintenance or the tab labels should give you a clue as to which tab(s) contain operations such as testing the printer and troubleshooting the printer. If you find these operations, go through them and see what results you get and report them to me.

Let's see where we are after you do the above, and then if the printer still isn't working we'll probably uninstall and re-install the software if the hardware tests come out ok. We'll also need to do something about Bonjour Port 5353, and EK Discovery, so don't let me forget about them.

Next, we'll address that sticky CD drawer.

Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 5 Empty11/10/2011, 01:05

I'll try to answer a few of your printer questions first, because I'll have to write your new instructions out by hand before I can begin.

Questions about the printer I need to know before we start with that are:
1. Will certain colors print, and not others? Have you checked to see that the new cartridges you put in have their plastic strip removed from the ink nozzle, and that they are seated properly in their mount?
My wife, nor I can print any of your instructions from this Message Board. We have tried to print your instructions from this board, in my Limited account, and in her Limited account, as well as trying to print your instructions that I pasted in Wordpad, and I sent them in email, to both our accounts. Won't do it. For some reason we can't print your instructions. I can't get anything to print anywhere. She can print things she want to, and in colors, just not on the forumotion.net, so that tells me that the new ink cartridges are working properly.
I'll have to get back to you on printer questions 2,3, & 4.

Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 5 Empty11/10/2011, 09:56

WC, the instructions are the same as before. I moved them for our convenience so we wouldn't have to keep looking back to previous posts. Helps me to keep up with what I last told you to do. Main difference is to not do the restore back to before removing the sonic update manager. I asked some things about your printer a little differently, but they are essentially the same too. Compare what you've already written to the newer post above and you'll see they are the same except I've added a little bit to the printer questions. Just get those applications unchecked in msconfig and we'll get on with the printer and cd player.

From what reading I've done on your model computer, it appears to be a pain in the rear for a lot of people. What you are telling me about your printer makes absolutely no sense at all. This darn thing!
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 5 Empty11/10/2011, 18:48

From what reading I've done on your model computer, it appears to be a pain in the rear for a lot of people. What you are telling me about your printer makes absolutely no sense at all. This darn thing! It's made no sense to me from the git go. Especially when the thing was printing, we change the ink and now it won't print. One thing I failed to mention is that when I give the Print order the printer goes through the motions of doing the print job, the sounds, and all, but, the only thing on the paper when it comes out is the blue border lines of these text boxes, on this board. On other print jobs, the paper comes out blank.

Just get those applications unchecked in msconfig: I'll try to get that done asap. I'm just now getting on the computer for today. That KBD, since I pay some bills, and order some online, I think I need this, if I understand you.? I just realized that I don't have any of those keys you mentioned on my keyboard, so, I'll leave this one un-checked , and you can tell me later if it is correct, based on my shopping etc.?

I was going to mention this later, but, it might be important to tell you now. Last night as I was logging out, I received the "Generic Host" had to close, message once again. I had hoped that was fixed, but, I guess not. I thought maybe you need to know now, rather than later. You be the judge.
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 5 Empty11/11/2011, 01:22

wcturner wrote:
From what reading I've done on your model computer, it appears to be a pain in the rear for a lot of people. What you are telling me about your printer makes absolutely no sense at all. This darn thing! It's made no sense to me from the git go. Especially when the thing was printing, we change the ink and now it won't print. One thing I failed to mention is that when I give the Print order the printer goes through the motions of doing the print job, the sounds, and all, but, the only thing on the paper when it comes out is the blue border lines of these text boxes, on this board. On other print jobs, the paper comes out blank.

Let me think about this for a bit. We'll come back to it after you finish the msconfig thing.

Just get those applications unchecked in msconfig: I'll try to get that done asap. I'm just now getting on the computer for today. That KBD, since I pay some bills, and order some online, I think I need this, if I understand you.? I just realized that I don't have any of those keys you mentioned on my keyboard, so, I'll leave this one un-checked , and you can tell me later if it is correct, based on my shopping etc.?

I don't know WC. It won't hurt to leave it checked, but if you uncheck it and whatever you do on your keyboard stops working, you can go back and recheck it. So if you uncheck it, immediately test it out after reboot and see if everything you do on the keyboard still works. I'm just trying to get your computer to where you don't have so many unnecessary applications starting at startup instead of only when needed. Your computer will run faster.

I was going to mention this later, but, it might be important to tell you now. Last night as I was logging out, I received the "Generic Host" had to close, message once again. I had hoped that was fixed, but, I guess not. I thought maybe you need to know now, rather than later. You be the judge.

This is an annoyance only that occurs in XP and is usually associated with SP2, but happens in SP3 too. There are many reasons for it, and no one solution seems to work for everyone. Do the msconfig thing and we'll come back to it. Did you ever go into the registry and do the changes I gave you way back when you were getting windows popping up about "Program not Responding" when you were shutting down or rebooting?

Last edited by Repa on 11/11/2011, 02:28; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 5 Empty11/11/2011, 01:45

I don't know WC. It won't hurt to leave it checked, but if you uncheck it and whatever you do on your keyboard stops working, you can go back and recheck it. So if you uncheck it, immediately test it out after reboot and see if everything you do on the keyboard still works. I'm just trying to get your computer to where you don't have so many unnecessary applications starting at startup instead of only when needed. Your computer will run faster.
We only use the keyboard for typing messages or email. We use the Mouse for everything else, like ordering online, etc.

Got some screen shots regarding the msconfig changes. I'll post them now.

After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 5 System10

After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 5 Access10

In Owner Account, upon logging into it, I got a 2nd. window, that said to prevent the pop up appearing each time I opened account, I should go back and change the MSConfig back to Normal mode. If you want I'll go to Owner acct. & post that screen shot. Let me know. Never mind about the owner account, the first picture shows what I was talking about abot changing to Normal mode. But, will I need to change the Limited accounts to Admin. for the changes to take place, or not?

And, in this, My Limited account, just now when posting these screen shots, when I clicked the "Copy" button, the path would not highlight. I had to highlight the path myself. Is that caused from the MSConfig changes? I'll have to check things more closely tomorrow, and I'll report back with anything else that does not work as it used to.

Hey, it is possible to post more than one screen shot at a time.
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 5 Empty11/11/2011, 02:04

wcturner wrote:
We only use the keyboard for typing messages or email. We use the Mouse for everything else, like ordering online, etc.

Then you don't need KBD checked.

Got some screen shots regarding the msconfig changes. I'll post them now.

After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 5 System10

You always need to be in your owner account only when doing msconfig changes. When that window above pops up after doing msconfig changes and rebooting, check that box beside "Don't show this message or launch the system configuration utility when windows starts" and click ok and reboot. That will solve your issues with these messages that you posted in the 2 screenshots. They won't appear again. You don't change msconfig to Normal startup in the msconfiguration utility window.

After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 5 Access10

In Owner Account, upon logging into it, I got a 2nd. window, that said to prevent the pop up appearing each time I opened account, I should go back and change the MSConfig back to Normal mode. If you want I'll go to Owner acct. & post that screen shot. Let me know. Never mind about the owner account, the first picture shows what I was talking about abot changing to Normal mode. But, will I need to change the Limited accounts to Admin. for the changes to take place, or not?

No, read my post between your 2 screen shots above.

And, in this, My Limited account, just now when posting these screen shots, when I clicked the "Copy" button, the path would not highlight. I had to highlight the path myself. Is that caused from the MSConfig changes? I'll have to check things more closely tomorrow, and I'll report back with anything else that does not work as it used to.

I don't think it would have anything to do with it.

Hey, it is possible to post more than one screen shot at a time.

No, not unless you combine them into one picture in an image editor, and that won't be easy for you to do. Would rather not go into that.

WC, stay in your owner account until we get this all done.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 5 Empty11/11/2011, 02:26

Do you mean surf the internet in owner acct. to see if all is working properly?

Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 5 Empty11/11/2011, 02:37

wcturner wrote:

I'd rather you limit your surfing to here, and if you need to, known safe sites like MSN, Google, Majorgeeks, sites you frequent that you know are safe, and any download sites I tell you to go to until we are finished. By finished, I mean finishing the msconfig thing, and trying to get your printer working, some registry changes if you haven't done them previously, and then doing a defrag if things are looking ok.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 5 Empty11/11/2011, 14:58

Repa wrote:
wcturner wrote:

I'd rather you limit your surfing to here, and if you need to, known safe sites like MSN, Google, Majorgeeks, sites you frequent that you know are safe, and any download sites I tell you to go to until we are finished. By finished, I mean finishing the msconfig thing, and trying to get your printer working, some registry changes if you haven't done them previously, and then doing a defrag if things are looking ok.

1) I'm just checking in. I was finished last night with the msconfig items that you had me do. I check marked the box on the Utility window, so that window would not pop up anymore. And, I had gotten to the #5 on your list, surf the internet to see if what I typically do is working.

2) Is the printer and the sticky cd door all that's left?

3) And, would it be easier to uninstall the Kodak printer program, and then Re-install it using the software CD that does that?
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 5 Empty11/11/2011, 19:16

Ok WC, now that we have all of your problems solved over the phone, including your printer, here's where you can find out how to use and maintain that printer and remove the printhead and clean it easier if that black ink ever clogs things up and stops printing again:

http://support.en.kodak.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19230/kw/5210%20manual/selected/true

Don't forget to do the dfrag. Keep a check on that printer periodically to make sure that the ink doesn't clog again. Do a test print from the Kodak Home Center now while it is working correctly so you'll have something to compare if you ever have printing problems again. It should print all of the colors in your 2 cartridges without streaking or looking muddy. Remember to do the cleaning operation from your Kodak home center if the ink stops working or the test print gets streaks or muddy-looking colors in it. You'll want to check this as we did today everytime you change print cartridges. If you don't use the printer for a long time, a cleaning operation from the Kodak Home Center is a good idea before starting to print. And, you never know when you'll get a new cartridge that is clogged - it does happen.

Let me know if the Generic Host problem keeps happening and becomes too much of an annoyance and we'll try removing a certain part of .net framework to see if that fixes it.

Don't forget to keep Spybot and Spywareblaster updated every 3 days or so. Malwarbytes and Superantispyware can wait to be updated when you are ready to do maintenance scans. Do your maintenace scans every 2 weeks or so, but not less than once a month, and a defrag once a month. It's a good idea to run ccleaner once a day or at least once every other day, either before shutting down at night, or at startup.

If you still have that red X or a warning in your system tray on the Security Center shield, or a Spybot scan gives you a warning about your firewall, go to the Control Center, click on the Windows Firewall icon and check to see that the box beside "Don't allow exceptions" is checked. You can also tell Spybot to fix it if that message shows up in a Spybot scan. Always check the system tray to see that Avast is secured on startup. If Windows Defender should ever appear in your system tray with a warning symbol, for some reason it hasn't updated it's malware database in a while. Open it and do a manual update. It should always do it automatically, but occasionally it doesn't, so you need to watch for it appearing in the system tray if that happens.

Open your cd drawer and blow it out with an air can. Dirt and dust or gummy grim on gears, stretched pully belt, missing gear teeth can cause your cd drawer to stick. At least the cd player plays, and opens sometimes by itself or with your assistance. Eventually, you may have to replace it or sometimes it can be repaired at a computer shop if it's just the gears, belt or gummy dirt and grim, although a new one won't cost much more. They do wear out, and as old as yours is, you're lucky you haven't had to replace it.

Hope you don't have anymore problems for a while now. Be sure to check out "Drop My Rights" in the tutorials so you don't have to keep up with 3 user accounts. You can import all your bookmarks from your limited accounts to your owner account when you are ready to delete those limited accounts. You also need to make sure any files and pictures you created in those accounts that you need to keep are moved over into the owner account, such as files in the "My Documents" folders and sub-folders that are in those limited user accounts.

Last edited by Repa on 11/12/2011, 10:49; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 5 Empty11/12/2011, 01:09

I'm just checking in , before I turn computer off for the night, and first time on the computer since we finished this afternoon. The only other thing I did, after we talked, was I did do the defrag. I'm very glad you made this post, because I had actually forgotten some of the stuff we discussed.

I'm gonna turn this off now, and, when time permits, look your post over again, and then I'll come back and edit this and reply to you post again.

Once again, thanks very much for you help, and patience, cause without it, I would not have been able to complete on my own!

BTW, I sent you an important email, and maybe you can pass it on. Did you know that on November 20, 2011, the Federal government will officially take control of the Internet through the Federal Communications Commission’s Net Neutrality regulations? Be sure you keep an eye out for that email I sent you. It's very important. We are losing more and more freedoms every day!
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 5 Empty11/12/2011, 20:40

I'll post another one here, and maybe you can reply as time allows.

1) On the Start menu yesterday evening, I got a balloon saying new programs added, and it was referring to Kodak Printer Wizard, and "About Bonjour" And, when I went to Control panel>Exceptions tab, and I unchecked all the Kodak boxes, including Bonjour and EK Discovery.
Is that what I should have done?
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 5 Empty11/12/2011, 21:54

wcturner wrote:
I'll post another one here, and maybe you can reply as time allows.

1) On the Start menu yesterday evening, I got a balloon saying new programs added, and it was referring to Kodak Printer Wizard, and "About Bonjour" And, when I went to Control panel>Exceptions tab, and I unchecked all the Kodak boxes, including Bonjour and EK Discovery.
Is that what I should have done?

We disabled those 2 services yesterday afternoon, so they have no effect. Thus, it doesn't matter whether they are checked or not - they are disabled. If you were using the printer as a network printer connecting to a wifi router, then they would be needed and the exceptions would have to be allowed, and you would get those annoying popups as a result of their communicating with Kodak. But, you are not using your printer as a network printer. You are connected via USB, and unless you want to receive automatic updates for your printer and live with those annoying popup messages, you don't need those 2 serivces, and that's why we disabled them. The thing to check that I mentioned in my last post above is whether on the General tab of Windows Firewall the box is checked beside "Don't allow exceptions", and if it's not, to check it.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 5 Empty11/13/2011, 23:29

Repa,

1) This, I found in the Downloads folder(shown at the top left corner of the screen shot) on my Owner account desktop.
I started to delete this, but, made a screen shot for you to look at before I delete it, to see if you know what it could be, cause I have no idea. At the bottom of pic it says it came from another computer. Looks like it could be dangerous to me.?

2) I just want to remind you, that in my Owner Recycle Bin, I still have the screen shots of SGTray, OPXPAPP, that I deleted from "My Pictures", and also in Recycle bin, is the Kodak folder that we deleted on Friday. I did not know how long you wanted me to keep them in Recycle Bin? And, when you do say Delete them, when I was going to delete them from "My Pictures", I would get a balloon saying if they are deleted something about they won't be able to open again. I only mention this because, FYI, and it probably won't matter, when it is time to Delete them for good.? But, you can let me know when the time comes.

After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 5 7c_tmp10

Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 5 Empty11/14/2011, 10:37

Go into safe mode in your owner account and delete that 7c.tmp file in your Downloads folder, and empty your recycle bin. Then run ccleaner. Check the Downloads folder in your other accounts. I assume your computer is working ok now?
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 5 Empty11/14/2011, 13:21

Repa wrote:
Go into safe mode in your owner account and delete that 7c.tmp file in your Downloads folder, and empty your recycle bin. Is that 7c.tmp a virus, & how did it get there? It must be dangerous if I'm going into Safe Mode?

Then run ccleaner. Check the Downloads folder in your other accounts. I assume your computer is working ok now?
Seems to be working Okay. When logging out of my owner account today, A window popped up, but, it completed the log out before I could read what it said. I think that has happened once before.
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 5 Empty11/14/2011, 13:58

wcturner wrote:
Repa wrote:
Go into safe mode in your owner account and delete that 7c.tmp file in your Downloads folder, and empty your recycle bin. Is that 7c.tmp a virus, & how did it get there? It must be dangerous if I'm going into Safe Mode?

Then run ccleaner. Check the Downloads folder in your other accounts. I assume your computer is working ok now?
Seems to be working Okay. When logging out of my owner account today, A window popped up, but, it completed the log out before I could read what it said. I think that has happened once before.

It could be a virus, or not. Don't know how it got there, just know it didn't belong there. Just wanted to be sure you could get rid of it without problems and safe mode is the best place for that.

Stuff that downloads from websites will sometimes automatically go to that Downloads folder, or to the Temp folder in the Local Settings folder of your account, or to the Content.IE5 folders in LocalService. You don't need to concern your self about this unless one of your scanners detects something in these folders. Then, quarentine it and post in the Help Forum with a screen shot of what it is.

Did you ever hook up that router you bought? If you didn't, you need to do that. It's pretty straight forward, and the manufacturer will help you get it working over the phone if you have problems. You should have an installation disk, or a paper with instructions for installation.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 5 Empty11/14/2011, 20:19

Repa said: Did you ever hook up that router you bought? If you didn't, you need to do that. I used the Linksys Router you said to buy, back when I had a cable modem connection. I haven't used it since I got DSL connection. Currently, I've got the black Westell DSL Router Modem, you said that I didn't need the Linksys now.

BTW, do I run Ccleaner while still in safe mode, after deleting that file, and emptying the recycle bin? And, to clarify, that Downloads folder that the 7c.tmp file resides in, is located on my Owner desktop, and it is named "Downloads 2".
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 5 Empty11/14/2011, 21:24

wcturner wrote:
Repa said: Did you ever hook up that router you bought? If you didn't, you need to do that. I used the Linksys Router you said to buy, back when I had a cable modem connection. I haven't used it since I got DSL connection. Currently, I've got the black Westell DSL Router Modem, you said that I didn't need the Linksys now.

Ok, you're fine - I forgot that you told me that, sorry.

BTW, do I run Ccleaner while still in safe mode, after deleting that file, and emptying the recycle bin? And, to clarify, that Downloads folder that the 7c.tmp file resides in, is located on my Owner desktop, and it is named "Downloads 2".

I thought you were talking about the Downloads subfolder that Windows creates in your My Documents folder. Downloads(2) is not a folder that belongs on your computer unless you created it, which I doubt that you did, and you should delete it and empty the recycle bin. Then run ccleaner - it doesn't matter if you are in safe mode or normal mode to do that, but in safe mode you avoid any chance that there is active malware that could block your attempt to get rid of a file or folder, plus you avoid any permissions limitations on files and folders that might be present in Normal mode. While in safe mode, you can run ccleaner.

Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 5 Empty11/15/2011, 01:57

Repa,

Went to safe mode, and drug the Downloads 2 folder, with the 7c.tmp file in it, into the Recycle Bin. Then I emptied the Recycle Bin. Hope that's it for a while. I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired!

Once again, Thanks!
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 5 Empty11/15/2011, 20:55

Repa,

A lot of pictures came on my HP computer that I've tried to delete in the past, but, they keep coming back. I guess they are to use as a desktop wallpaper. But, to have more space I wanted to get rid of them. Do you know how to delete them for good?
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 5 Empty11/15/2011, 22:00

what pictures are you talking about? What folder are they in?
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 5 Empty11/16/2011, 01:38

The pics I refer to are numbered IMG 0 thru IMG 13, and the folder at the bottom labeled Sample Pictures. Their size runs up to 1.46 MB, and I thought I could use that space by getting rid of them.

After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 5 Hp_pho10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload
Page 5 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next