Geeks, Geeks and More Geeks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THIS FORUM IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. SORRY! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REGISTER; YOUR REQUEST WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

Number of posts : 2378
Humor : Age: Older than Dirt!
Registration date : 2008-09-19

After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 4 Empty11/2/2011, 02:41

Uncheck everything with a check mark in the Exceptions tab of your firewall and click ok when done.

Run ccleaner Cleaner option and then don't go back on the internet until all of the below tasks are completed.

Click on My Computer. Select Tools > Folder Options. Select the View Tab. Under Hidden Files and Folders, select "Show Hidden Files and Folders", uncheck "Hide Extensions for known file types, uncheck "Hide protected operating system files" and click Ok.

Delete SGTray and OPXPAPP from your My Pictures folder. Leave them in the recycle bin for the time being. Run Search on each name to find out where else they might be on your computer. Write down the path name of the folder(s) they reside in and post that information after completing your virus and malware scans.

Set a new Restore point. Name it "before uninstalling Sonic Update Manager."

Uninstall the Sonic Update Manager in Add/Remove Programs

1. Go to "Start" >"Control Panel."

2. Double-click "Add/Remove Programs" from the control panel window. Scroll through the programs window and highlight Sonic Update Manager. Click "Remove" to uninstall it.

3. Click "Start" >"Run." Type in msconfig on the run window then click Ok.

4. Click the "Start-up" tab on the system configuration utility window that opens. Uncheck any start-up items named sgtray or sonic update manager.

5. Uncheck any other items named isuspm and issch or opxpapp.

6. Do a print screen of msconfig Start-up tab, showing as many of the checked items remaining as possible. Save the file somewhere to post later after you complete the scans.

7. Click "OK" to save your changes. Then restart your computer.

Now, run your scans. (Malwarebytes, SuperantiSpyware, Spybot) Be sure they are all updated before running the scans. If you can run the scans in safe mode, full scan, it'll take longer, but malware won't be active and thus easier to find if there. When you run another boot-time scan of Avast, before scheduling the scan, click the "settings" link and uncheck "Scan for potentially unwanted programs (PUPs)." Make a note or screen shot of anything found. Quarantine anything found until I get a chance to look at it.

Hopefully, most of your problems will go away if you complete the above tasks and then let me know what happened. Print these instructions and then do them one-by-one until they are all completed.

Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

Number of posts : 1165
Humor : Yes
Registration date : 2009-10-26

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 4 Empty11/2/2011, 15:05

I tried to print your new instructions, and I'm outta ink. I'll have to get more or else write them down. So, it will be a while before I can get to do these new instructions.

In the meantime, I'll post yet another screen shot pop up window notice. This was when I was updating Spybot this morning.

After you look at it, please tell me if I need to try to update Spybot again before implementing your new instructions? You will know if this will affect my scans or not, I don't.

After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 4 Sb_err10

Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 4 Empty11/2/2011, 20:55

Got new ink, now printer won't print the instructions. Even before this, I've had some problems printing off this site. I think it might be something to do with the blue lines that border the messages. Before running out of ink I would have to set the printer to print in "Landscape" in order to get all the text printed. Otherwise, some of the words on the right side of a message would be cut off.

I think I'll go to HP website and look for any drivers.
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 4 Empty11/2/2011, 21:11

wcturner wrote:
I tried to print your new instructions, and I'm outta ink. I'll have to get more or else write them

After you look at it, please tell me if I need to try to update Spybot again before implementing your new instructions? You will know if this will affect my scans or not, I don't.

After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 4 Sb_err10

Well, I hope some malware isn't blocking your download. Make sure you are in your owner account when running the update.

If it happens again, run spybot in safe mode and see what if finds. You could also choose Safe Mode with Networking instead of just safe mode and try downloading the updates there. Use the Administrator Account to do this. After updating, reboot and go into safe mode only because your antivirus doesn't work like it is supposed to in safe mode, and you don't want to be connected to the network for any longer than it takes to get the update done, if it was necessary for you to do it there.

wcturner wrote:
Got new ink, now printer won't print the instructions. Even before this, I've had some problems printing off this site. I think it might be something to do with the blue lines that border the messages. Before running out of ink I would have to set the printer to print in "Landscape" in order to get all the text printed. Otherwise, some of the words on the right side of a message would be cut off.

I think I'll go to HP website and look for any drivers.

I noted that you have a Kodak printer in one of your posts. I thought it was an HP printer you had when I gave you the instructions to go find the driver at the HP site. It is the older hp printers that can cause that popup warning in Win XP, SP3. If you want to find the latest driver for a Kodak printer, go to the Kodak website.

Last edited by Repa on 11/2/2011, 22:09; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 4 Empty11/2/2011, 21:40

Repa said: Well, I hope some malware isn't blocking your download. If you did this in Firefox, try doing it in IE. Make sure you are in your owner account when running the update. I wasn't in either browser. When I do the updates for Spybot and all malware programs I just go into the Owner account, and click the Icons and then click where it says update.

I tell you Repa, I think this computer is worse now than before the wipe and reload. It's doing just as it did before. I can't get one thing fixed before 2 more things pop up. I don't think I'm ever going to get this thing fixed. It's driving me nuts. What am I going to do?
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 4 Empty11/2/2011, 22:08

wcturner wrote:
Repa said: Well, I hope some malware isn't blocking your download. If you did this in Firefox, try doing it in IE. Make sure you are in your owner account when running the update. I wasn't in either browser. When I do the updates for Spybot and all malware programs I just go into the Owner account, and click the Icons and then click where it says update.

I don't know what I was thinking WC. Must have had a senior moment. Of course, you weren't in any browser! scratch geek

I tell you Repa, I think this computer is worse now than before the wipe and reload. It's doing just as it did before. I can't get one thing fixed before 2 more things pop up. I don't think I'm ever going to get this thing fixed. It's driving me nuts. What am I going to do?

Get the malware scans done to rule out malware. Follow all the directions I gave you to print out previously in the order given. If you are still having problems, we may try to set up a remote assistance between our computers so I can take a look-see what's going on with your computer. But that is a last resort, so let's try getting it working here on the message board.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 4 Empty11/3/2011, 14:49

Let me be sure I've got this right.
1) I'll do the Malware scans first, in Safe Mode, if possible. Then, I'll post what is found if anything

2) Then, I'll go back to the point I was at, in the order you posted your instructions. Next on the list was these instructions that were posted on Page 5 with the Time shown= Subject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload Tue 1 Nov - 12:15.

3) If I understand you correctly, then I am to proceed to the next posted instructions that follow, the above, in sequence, until each of the instructions are finished.?

4) I was beginning to get confused because with all the new problems popping up, before I could finish your previous instructions, you would give me new instructions, that would supersede the ones given before. So, my head was spinning.

So, If I've got this correct, please let me know. It's going to be about an hour before I can begin the Malware scans, so, I'll check this board again before I Start. Hopefully you will have a reply by then. If need be, don't hesitate to call me.
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 4 Empty11/3/2011, 17:55

No, this is what I want you to do in the order given below:

Uncheck everything with a check mark in the Exceptions tab of your firewall and click ok when done.

Run ccleaner Cleaner option and then don't go back on the internet until all of the below tasks are completed except to update your anti-malware programs if you haven't updated them in the last 3 days or so.

Click on My Computer. Select Tools > Folder Options. Select the View Tab. Under Hidden Files and Folders, select "Show Hidden Files and Folders", uncheck "Hide Extensions for known file types, uncheck "Hide protected operating system files" and click Ok.

Delete SGTray and OPXPAPP from your My Pictures folder. Leave them in the recycle bin for the time being. Run Search on each name to find out where else they might be on your computer. Write down the path name of the folder(s) they reside in and post that information after completing your virus and malware scans (last step below).

Set a new Restore point. Name it "before uninstalling Sonic Update Manager."

Uninstall the Sonic Update Manager in Add/Remove Programs

1. Go to "Start" >"Control Panel."

2. Double-click "Add/Remove Programs" from the control panel window. Scroll through the programs window and highlight Sonic Update Manager. Click "Remove" to uninstall it.

3. Click "Start" >"Run." Type in msconfig on the run window then click Ok.

4. Click the "Start-up" tab on the system configuration utility window that opens. Uncheck any start-up items named sgtray or sonic update manager.

5. Uncheck any other items named isuspm, issch or opxpapp.

6. Do a print screen of msconfig Start-up tab, showing as many of the checked items remaining as possible. Save the file somewhere to post later after you complete the scans in the last step below.

7. Click "OK" to save your changes. Then restart your computer.

Now, run your scans. (Malwarebytes, SuperantiSpyware, Spybot, and Adaware if you have it installed - if not installed, don't worry about it ) Be sure they are all updated before running the scans. You can run the scans in safe mode, full scan, it'll take longer, but malware won't be active and thus easier to find if there. When you run another boot-time scan of Avast, before scheduling the scan, click the "settings" link and uncheck "Scan for potentially unwanted programs (PUPs)." Make a note or screen shot of anything found. Quarantine anything found until I get a chance to look at it.

Note: If Spybot won't update again, run spybot in safe mode and see what if finds. You could also choose Safe Mode with Networking instead of just safe mode and try downloading the updates there. Use the Administrator Account to do this. After updating, reboot and go into safe mode only, because your antivirus doesn't work like it is supposed to in safe mode, and you don't want to be connected to the network for any longer than it takes to get the update done, if it was necessary for you to do it there.

Hopefully, most of your problems will go away if you complete the above tasks and then let me know what happened. Print these instructions and then do them one-by-one until they are all completed.

WC, if anything else happens between the time you start and finish this, make a note or screen shot of it and keep going until you finish the entire procedure posted here. Not having completed anything I posted before is as confusing to me as my giving you new instructions are to you. I need to know what you have completed and what you were doing when something happens. So, see if you can get through this post from start to finish and then get back to me and we'll see where we are.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 4 Empty11/3/2011, 19:42

Repa Wrote: Not having completed anything I posted before is as confusing to me as my giving you new instructions are to you. Not being argumentative, this is just for clarification, but, I have done quite a bit of your previous instructions.
As I mentioned in my last post, I had just completed your instructions on Page 5, Subject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload, (This is when you posted): Tue 1 Nov - 11:00
On the Spybot Stuff - fixing wildtangent was ok. On the other stuff, do the following:
1. Select Start > Settings > Control Panel
2. In the Control Panel, select Windows Firewall
3. On the General Tab in Windows Firewall:
a. Make sure On is selected, and not Off
b. Select “Don’t allow exceptions” if it isn’t selected, or go to the Exceptions tab and deselect everything that is checked.
4. Click Ok
While still in the Control Panel, Click on the Windows Security Center icon and check to make sure that both Windows Firewall and Virus Protection are ON. Automatic Updates can be On or Off, depending on your preference.

The above, in green, is the last thing I had completed, of your previous instructions. So, I was not maligning you in any way, I am just very frustrated with trying my very best to follow your instructions, and get this computer to working properly. I began all this back the first of October, and I'm already into November, the second month of working on this, and I'm just so tired and frustrated that I can't get what you tell me to do, before another calamity pops up. I just wish I could be as fast as you in doing these computer type of things, and get this all completed. This just wears me out mentally and physically, and sometimes, I just have to walk away from it for a while. I just want you to know that I am very grateful for your help. Maybe if we are patient, together, hopefully we can get this done.

Another thing that is slowing me down is that when my ink ran out on my printer yesterday, after replacing the ink cartridge, for some reason, that I cannot figure out, when I try to print out your instructions, the printer won't print them. I could at least print before, the ink supply ran out, but not now. It must be something to do with the geeks MB, because my wife can print things like her sewing patterns, and ordinary text from a webpage, not in a message board. So, it prints for her & not for me. I was trying to use this Chrome browser to see if it would print, but, Chrome has a very different type browser bar at the top of the page, this is not the proper terminology I know, but maybe you know what I mean. When I click Print in Chrome, it wants to print out the whole thread. So, I have to write out the instructions by hand, unless we can figure what the printer problem.

I'll get back to you when I can, Thanks!
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

Number of posts : 1480
Registration date : 2008-10-17
Mood : none

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 4 Empty11/3/2011, 20:11

WC

I don't know how much you have to print. But while you are waiting on REPA, if you don't have too much you might try copying and pasting into wordpad or word and pringing from there. I don't think it will format correctly if you copy to notepad. Then maybe Repa can figure out what you printing problem is.

Fay
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 4 Empty11/3/2011, 21:02

fay47 wrote:
WC

I don't know how much you have to print. But while you are waiting on REPA, if you don't have too much you might try copying and pasting into wordpad or word and pringing from there. I don't think it will format correctly if you copy to notepad. Then maybe Repa can figure out what you printing problem is.

Fay

I already tried Wordpad yesterday, it would not print. I've tried everything I can think of. My wife has always taken care of replacing the ink, as she did yesterday, and the only thing that has changed is removing the old ink, and putting in the new ones. Everything else is still the same as it was before the ink ran out. That's why it is so hard to figure out what is the problem.

She's gonna try to print it in her limited account, and see if it'll print it there. And, as I mentioned before, there's something about the message board's text block that has always made it difficult to get all the text on the paper. Rather than try to figure out the settings, I just started printing everything from this board, in Landscape, instead of Portrait. In Portrait, it would always cut off 1 or 2 words at the blue margins here at geeks.
Back to top Go down
fay47
Royal Geek
Royal Geek
fay47

Number of posts : 1480
Registration date : 2008-10-17
Mood : none

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 4 Empty11/3/2011, 21:27

I copied the message above withh 4 steps in green and the black text under it - and pasted into WorkPad and printed from there. It printed fine for me.
So, I don't know what you problems its.

You said it will not print - what happens? DId it copy ok into word pad? When you tried to print what happens? Does it not print at all - or is the print messed up - and how?
Did you say you wife can print to that printer ok?

Fay
Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 4 Empty11/3/2011, 22:06

wcturner wrote:
Repa Wrote: Not having completed anything I posted before is as confusing to me as my giving you new instructions are to you. Not being argumentative, this is just for clarification, but, I have done quite a bit of your previous instructions.

Sorry WC, I didn't mean for it to come off that way. This has gone on for a while, and I'm to the point where I'm not remembering what I told you or if you did it or not. We just need to focus on one thing at a time and try to get through it without getting side-tracked by what appears to be new problems, that's all I was trying to say. If we don't find any malware, I don't think you have any serious problems. Some of the things I'm having you do in the last post should take care of a few of those popups.

I don't know about your printer - can you print things other than from this messageboard or is your printer not printing at all? Does your print window come up, and do you have a preview pane that you can see what you are printing before you print? Does your printer run but you get a blank page, or what?
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 4 Empty11/3/2011, 23:33

That's quite alright, Repa. This stuff kinda frays your nerves sometimes. I know it does mine.

1) It's late, so it'll probably be tomorrow before I can get started on the latest instructions. Plus, looks like Ill have to write the instructions by hand. I unchecked everything with a check mark in the Exceptions tab of my firewall a couple of days ago, so that's done.

2) Does "don't go back on the internet" mean not even coming to this board either, until all of the tasks are completed?

3) Also, I guess I'm not understanding update your anti-malware programs on the internet.? Are you meaning that when I update the A-M prog., I assume you mean that those programs have to connect to the internet in order to update? Because, I open them up on my Owner account desktop, & then click the "Update" button. I don't open up a browser and go on the internet directly to up date the anti-malware programs. I apologize for my ignorance if I'm not understanding you.

4) It will take me a while to get your instructions completed. It does not have to be done in one fell swoop, does it? So, as long as I stay off the internet, after I start your instructions, it will not matter if I take breaks while getting this stuff done, Correct?

5) I finally thought to try a restore point back to when it was printing yesterday before the ink ran out. That did not fix it either. I can't get it to print anything in my Limited Account, from this board or any other site. In my wife's Limited account she can print other pages off the internet, but, she also, cannot print your instructions off this geeks message board.
So, I'm at a loss, I fully expected the System Restore to get the printer printing again, as it was yesterday, before the changing of the ink cartridges. Makes no sense to me.

6) Reading your latest instructions reminded me that after I received that Spybot error message when I was updating it the other day, that I have tried updating Spybot several times since then. And each time, the update process continues without problems. So, I must have gotten all the complete updates that first time, even though I got that Error message, because each time I click the search updates, there is nothing there except a Teatimer update. So, I guess I got them all.

Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 4 Empty11/4/2011, 18:53

wcturner wrote:

2) Does "don't go back on the internet" mean not even coming to this board either, until all of the tasks are completed?
3) Also, I guess I'm not understanding update your anti-malware programs on the internet.? Are you meaning that when I update the A-M prog., I assume you mean that those programs have to connect to the internet in order to update? Because, I open them up on my Owner account desktop, & then click the "Update" button. I don't open up a browser and go on the internet directly to up date the anti-malware programs. I apologize for my ignorance if I'm not understanding you.

Until the malware scans are completed and a Boot-time scan of Avast, don't use your browsers to go anywhere on the internet except here, and then only if you get stuck with a problem going through the instructions and can't proceed. I don't want you chancing picking up anything while you are doing the procedure I gave you. Update your scanners before running them if you haven't done so in the last 3 or 4 days. Yes, they do connect to the internet, but only to the download location for the updates.

4) It will take me a while to get your instructions completed. It does not have to be done in one fell swoop, does it? So, as long as I stay off the internet, after I start your instructions, it will not matter if I take breaks while getting this stuff done, Correct?

Take as long as you need. Just be persistent and do it one step at a time in the order given until done. Be sure to make a note or screen shot of any problems and what you were doing when they happened.

5) I finally thought to try a restore point back to when it was printing yesterday before the ink ran out. That did not fix it either. I can't get it to print anything in my Limited Account, from this board or any other site. In my wife's Limited account she can print other pages off the internet, but, she also, cannot print your instructions off this geeks message board.
So, I'm at a loss, I fully expected the System Restore to get the printer printing again, as it was yesterday, before the changing of the ink cartridges. Makes no sense to me.

Makes no sense to me either. I don't know what to tell you other than to uninstall your printer software (It will be in Add/Remove programs), reinstall it and look for the latest driver for your printer model on the Kodak site. For now, copy all the instructions down by hand if you haven't already done so and wait until after all that is done and you've gotten back to me before messing with your printer.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 4 Empty11/8/2011, 00:26

Repa,
Finally done. Got some screen shots, and I'll post all info I have.

1) In Safe Mode I ran Malwarebytes, nothing found, ran SuperantiSpyware, nothing found. Ran Spybot, and the same 2 registry entries from Microsoft.Windows.AppBypassFirewall, that I posted on page 5 of this thread. Only, this time I clicked the "Fix Problem" button, and the 2 entries are now in the "Recovery" of Spybot. While still in Safe Mode, I ran Spybot once a gain. The second scan found nothing, "No Threats". So, I hope they are gone for good.
1A) Do I purge Spybot Recovery of Wild Tangent, and the Windows Firewall Entries, or leave them?

2) Then I came out of Safe Mode,>Opened Avast>Settings>Sound>Unchecked the PUPS box, and scheduled a Boot-Time scan>Restarted computer. It ran, and nothing was found.
2 A) Do I leave the PUPS box, unchecked in Avast Settings, from now on?

3) Also, after coming out of Safe Mode, I went to check Windows Firewall to see if Bonjour Port 5353, and EK Discovery, had re-check marked their boxes in the Exceptions tab of my firewall. And, YES, they were marked again, after I had unchecked their boxes earlier.

4) I went through your instructions one at a time, in their order, until completed. I'll post first screen shot in a moment.

After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 4 Opxpap10

Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 4 Empty11/8/2011, 00:55

Next shot is XGTray. On the above shot and this one, let me know if you need me to write out the path, or will these pics suffice?

After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 4 Sgtr10
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 4 Empty11/8/2011, 01:01

Next, got 3 System Utility pics.

After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 4 Syc_110

Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 4 Empty11/8/2011, 01:04

here's # 2 of SCUtility.

After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 4 Sy_c_210

Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 4 Empty11/8/2011, 01:06

# 3 of System Configuration Utility.

After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 4 S_c_ut10

I've got to do some Insulin Pump management, so I'll stop here. You can let me know if you need anymore info, and I'll see if I can provide it. And, later, I've got some questions about what to do with some of the screen shots in "My Pictures" and some entries in the Recycle Bin. Thanks.

Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 4 Empty11/8/2011, 13:48

Ok, good. I don't think you have any real problems to be concerned about.

Purge the wildtangent stuff in Spybot Recovery. Leave the other stuff for now.

Leave the PUPs box unchecked in the Boot-time scan settings only for now.

Bonjour Port 5353, and EK Discovery have to do with your Kodak Printer. I'll address the printer later. Right now, go to the Control Panel, click on the Windows Firewall icon and make sure the box is checked beside "Don't allow exceptions" on the General Tab. If it's not checked, check it, click ok and let me know if it was unchecked. Don't concern yourself about those 2 boxes on the Exceptions Tab, just the one on the General tab.

Set a new Restore point and call it "Uninstall Sonic Update Manager"
1. Go into Add/Remove Programs and uninstall Sonic Update Manager
2. Reboot your system and check your CD player to make sure it works as expected. If it does, proceed to the next step. If it doesn't, stop and post here what the problem is. If there is a problem you may need to do a restore using the Restore point you created. There shouldn't be a problem as documentation says that any roxio equipment/software is unaffected by the removal of the sonic update manager. This should get rid of your SGTray problem.

Set another new new Restore point and call it "Change MSCONFIG settings"
1. Click Start > Run and type msconfig in the text box and click ok
2. Open the Startup tab in the msconfig window.
3. Uncheck all boxes in the msconfig startup tab EXCEPT the following:

RECGUARD
NvCpl
ps2
jusched
AvastUI
MSASCui
EKIJ5000MUI
rundll32
ctfmon

All of the above need to be checked.

4. Now, go back to the beginning and consider whether or not to recheck the following boxes based on what I tell you about them below:

KBD - needed only if you use the multimedia keys on your keyboard. These buttons on your keyboard will have labels like "Burn CD/DVD, Help, Email, Search, Favorites, Connect, Internet, Shortcut 1, Shopping, Entertainment, People, Finance", etc.

mbamgui - this is malwarebytes' realtime protection, but it will only work for the trial period and then you will have to purchase malwarebytes to keep this feature active. The free version will not have this feature active after the trial period. I recommend you use malwarebytes only as a scanner during maintenance periods and leave this unchecked. I think there is also a place on the Protection tab where you can select or deselect the realtime protection. Windows Defender is providing you with realtime protection against spyware and other malware. You decide - it won't hurt to keep it on during the trial period if you want to.

SUPERAntiSpyware - same situation as malwarebytes above. Will not be active after the trial period. There is a Realtime Protection Tab in SuperAntiSpyare where you can enable or disable realtime protection. It won't work in the free version after the trial period is over. You should also have unchecked the first 2 boxes under Startup Options on the General and Startup tab. Your decision.

spamsubtract - needed only if you use an email client on your computer like Outlook or Outlook Express to download the email files from your ISP server to your computer before you open them to read them. If you use email services like gmail or hotmail, then you don't need this enabled at startup.

5. Click ok to close msconfig and reboot your computer.
6. Run you computer, go on the internet, and check to see if everything you typically do is working ok. Report back to here any problems.
7. If everything looks ok, let me know that too and we'll address the Kodak printer next.

Questions about the printer I need to know before we start with that are:

1. Are you still having a problem with it printing certain things, and specifically what does it print and what does it not print? Will certain colors print, and not others? Have you checked to see that the new cartridges you put in have their plastic strip removed from the ink nozzle, and that they are seated properly in their mount.?
2. Do you have a test mode that you can go into to check to see that the printer is working properly, and is there a troubleshooting mode? There should be a Nozzle Check there to see if all your colors are printing correctly, and a Cleaning operation to clean your print nozzles if they aren't all printing correctly.
3. What does the troubleshooting mode tell you if you work through its wizard? To find these test/troubleshooting modes, go to the control panel and click on the Printer and Faxes Icon. Right-click on your printer and select Properties from the popup menu. On the window that opens there should be some tabs. One will say something like Maintenance or the tab labels should give you a clue as to which tab(s) contain operations such as testing the printer and troubleshooting the printer. If you find these operations, go through them and see what results you get and report them to me.
4. What model Kodak printer do you have?

Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 4 Empty11/8/2011, 21:01

I'll reply to what I can now, and copy the instructions and get them done as I can.

1) Repa said: Set a new Restore point and call it "Uninstall Sonic Update Manager". I already completed this yesterday, 11/07/11, but, I didn't know to check the CD player then. Upon reading this just now, when I pressed the button to open the CD player it didn't open, although it made noise as if it tried to open. So that's not working.

2) "Don't allow exceptions" on the General Tab was still checked when opened Firewall.

3) The Malwarebytes free trial is expired already. If I had it to do over, I wouldn't have accepted the trial offer, as I forgot about Windows Defender for real time protection. Now, I'm plagued with those popup windows wanting me to buy it. When I click the balloon to end trial, I get an error message saying it couldn't perform my request. I think I made a screen shot of it, but I didn't see it in my pictures. But, I need to get rid of the pop ups. I hope unchecking mbamgui cures that.

4) I don't have a trial with SUPERAntiSpyware, only have the "Free" version.

5) Questions about the printer I need to know before we start with that are:
What model Kodak printer do you have? Kodak Model # ESP 5210 is on the box. In the install CD when it mentions the model # the CD refers to it only as # 5200 series.

Are you still having a problem with it printing certain things? The last time I tried to print was when I was wanting to get your instructions, haven't tried since, but, it would print anything in my wife's limited account except the message from this board. In my limited account, all I tried to print was your instructions from this board. I didn't think to try anything else. Also, on both Limited Accounts, when I pasted your instructions into WordPad, the printer would not print it in either account. Don't know why.

I'll have to get back to you on your other 3 printer questions. I'll check back here to see if you have replied to any of this post as I try to write out your new instructions, and get done what I can. Thanks.

Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 4 Empty11/9/2011, 00:00

wcturner wrote:
I'll reply to what I can now, and copy the instructions and get them done as I can.

1) Repa said: Set a new Restore point and call it "Uninstall Sonic Update Manager". I already completed this yesterday, 11/07/11, but, I didn't know to check the CD player then. Upon reading this just now, when I pressed the button to open the CD player it didn't open, although it made noise as if it tried to open. So that's not working.

Better restore back to before you did that uninstall and see if that fixes your CD player. The documentation I read says it shouldn't have affected it, but looks like it may have.

3) The Malwarebytes free trial is expired already. If I had it to do over, I wouldn't have accepted the trial offer, as I forgot about Windows Defender for real time protection. Now, I'm plagued with those popup windows wanting me to buy it. When I click the balloon to end trial, I get an error message saying it couldn't perform my request. I think I made a screen shot of it, but I didn't see it in my pictures. But, I need to get rid of the pop ups. I hope unchecking mbamgui cures that.

If not, uninstall malwarebytes and reinstall it without accepting the trial offer.

You should go ahead and uncheck that in msconfig.
Back to top Go down
wcturner
Royal Geek
Royal Geek

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 4 Empty11/9/2011, 01:06

Better restore back to before you did that uninstall Ok. Does Restore back to the earlier time, reverse my Spybot scans and the stuff I removed(Wild Tangent & Win. Firewall) into the Spybot "Recovery" section?

If not, uninstall malwarebytes and reinstall it without accepting the trial offer.
I had thought about doing that.

You should go ahead and uncheck that in msconfig. OK.

I'll probably have to continue this tomorrow, Wed.), tired now.

Back to top Go down
Repa
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Repa

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 4 Empty11/9/2011, 01:30

wcturner wrote:
Better restore back to before you did that uninstall Ok. Does Restore back to the earlier time, reverse my Spybot scans and the stuff I removed(Wild Tangent & Win. Firewall) into the Spybot "Recovery" section?

Yes, if you did that before doing the spybot run. You'll have to repeat the spybot run as registry values were changed and then changed back to before the spybot run when you do the restore. But, the more I read, the more I am convinced that removing the Sonic Update Manager has nothing to do with your problem of the cd not opening. So hold off on doing the Restore and everything I posted above in the new set of instructrions and let's see if we can get your cd player to open. Sometimes they just get stuck.

1. Click on My Computer and then right-click on your CD drive.
2. in the popup menu, select Eject and see if that doesn't open your CD player. A light should also come on somewhere on your CD player unit as it starts to open.
3. if it opens, put a CD that you are familiar with and see if it plays.
4. if it doesn't open, shut down your computer. Straighten out a paperclip and press it into the very tiny round hole on your CD player unit somewhere below the drawer to open the drawer. The hole is just big enough for a straighten paperclip to fit in it. Push on the paper clip and you'll feel resistance - the drawer should pop open part-way as you keep gently pushing. If not, something may be jamming it - like, was a cd left in it? Gently pull it the remaining way open. If a cd was in it, take it out. Then, start your computer. The drawer should close. After Windows starts, see if it works ok now.

I had thought about doing that.

You should go ahead and uncheck that in msconfig. OK.

I'll probably have to continue this tomorrow, Wed.), tired now.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload   After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

After Hard Drive Wipe and Reload
Page 4 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next